download.com freezing with noscript activated

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: download.com freezing with noscript activated

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube wrote:No, what I was trying to point out was that the site worked correctly for me regardless of my NoScript settings.
If everything was blocked, it worked. And if everything was allowed, it worked too.
This is exactly the same position I was coming from, I am sorry you mistook it as meaning it was a NS functionality issue. It was not, just letting you know that regardless of allow or not allow with NS, it works fine. So there might be a corruption, some interference from another addon or possibly the browser getting stuck by a burden placed by the script itself.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube wrote:Strange.

How about plugins?
You've got that .NET plugin loading (for whatever it is that it may do)?

Also take a look in Task Manager & see if CTFMON.EXE is running.
Kill it & see if there is any change.
(You may be using it? & if you kill it & need it, you'd need to restart it back up. If you don't need it, best to stop it entirely IMO.)
The .NET plugin is to process and handle ClickOnce installation files created with Visual Studio and such.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

jerico wrote:I went into the old profile (which causes the problem) and deactivated all plugins. (I went do add-ons->plug-ins and deactivated all plug-ins in there. Firefox didn't require a restart but I restarted FF anyway. I assumed that there is no need to reboot after de-activating the plugins.) No difference, still get the freeze.
This may be overkill but I have used it to fix similar situations. Go to your profile folder, rename pref.js to pref.bak and then open up your Fx into the original profile and it will have NO SETTINGS. You have to reconfigure all the plugins and it works fine. Now I know many just say, why don't you create a new profile, install everything again and do it that way, I don't know but some prefer to keep everything there and just do this part, to each what ever works but this should resolve the problem in that profile.
jerico

Post by jerico »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Go to your profile folder, rename pref.js to pref.bak and then open up your Fx into the original profile
This helped. :-) I got a nice clean prefs.js now. Got rid of a lot of configuration rubbish that way, too. Thanks!

Are you interested in any part of old my prefs.js to further analyze the root cause of the problem or should we leave it like this?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

jerico wrote:
GµårÐïåñ wrote:Go to your profile folder, rename pref.js to pref.bak and then open up your Fx into the original profile
This helped. :-) I got a nice clean prefs.js now. Got rid of a lot of configuration rubbish that way, too. Thanks!
You are welcome and I am glad that it helped you. Yes this is also a nice way to clean out old left over settings too (which can also be done by going to about:config and individually selecting Reset but you might accidentally reset something you actually need) so this would be the least destructive way to go.
jerico wrote:Are you interested in any part of old my prefs.js to further analyze the root cause of the problem or should we leave it like this?
It is entirely up to you. If this resolved your problem and is something that hasn't happened to you that often, I would say let it be and move on. However, if this is something that is happening ALOT and is something that is a source great interruption for you, send me the old pref.js file through PM and I will take a look but I think we can safely assume that during multiple updates, long term use and some extensions coming and going, something got tweaked wrong and got corrupted. Probably, nothing to lose sleep over and you can safely move on, but up to you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
jerico

Post by jerico »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:If this resolved your problem and is something that hasn't happened to you that often, I would say let it be and move on.
For me it's ok. You and therube did a great job. :-) Kudos to you both.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You are most welcome. Good luck.
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Thank you for the explanation of your issues with CTFMON.EXE, therube. That's all I wanted to know.
jerico wrote:
Alan Baxter wrote:I also loaded the page into a clean test profile:
That was a good hint. I created a new profile, installed NS into it and whoop: everything works just normal in the newly created profile.
Glad to help, and to hear download.com is working for you now. :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8