Redirect to Zoom registration hangs on the reCAPTCHA

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
dmr

Redirect to Zoom registration hangs on the reCAPTCHA

Post by dmr »

Using NoScript 11.4.10 in Firefox 104.0.2 (64-bit), I go to a web page and click the Register button. I end up on a Zoom page with a gear that spins forever, rather than showing me the reCAPTCHA and then allowing me to register. I think that NoScript is blocking the reCAPTCHA to protect against a potential Cross-Site Scripting attack. The webmaster says he is doing everything right. Can you suggest anything that could be changed on the site so that this legitimate redirection to register on the Zoom site will not be blocked?

The webpage is agilenewengland <dot> org
Last edited by barbaz on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split "Unable to post to the NOSCRIPT ABE forum" to a different thread
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/105.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Unable to post to the NOSCRIPT ABE forum

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I don't know if f it's the very same page, but I've just registered to the ZFG webinar by just setting the main page and a zoom.us as TRUSTED.
Could you share with me by PM or email your NoScript Options>Export file content?
Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 12; Mobile; rv:104.0) Gecko/104.0 Firefox/104.0
dmr

Re: Redirect to Zoom registration hangs on the reCAPTCHA

Post by dmr »

I was hoping to get a suggestion that I could convey to the webmaster of the agilenewengland <dot> org site about how to change his code so that NoScript wouldn't object.

If that won't be possible, then maybe i could get suggestions (that I'd ask the webmaster to post on his web site) for settings that NoScript users should use to permit successful access to the Zoom registration page while still offering as much protection as possible.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/105.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I've just tried importing your settings (thanks for the PM) and again I could easily register at https://agilenewengland-org.zoom.us/mee ... z8NCb1iGnd by just setting zoom.us to TRUSTED.

Therefore it seems something is off in your Firefox configuration or in some other extension beside NoScript.

Does disabling NoScript actually works around the problem? On the other hand, does a clean Firefox profile with NoScript work?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:105.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/105.0
dmr

Post by dmr »

Globally disabling NoScript causes the registration to work correctly. Setting ZOOM.US to TRUSTED (in NoScript) also causes the registration to work correctly. So that fixes things for me. I'm still concerned about other users who have NoScript installed and may not understand why they are encountering a gear that spins forever.

Is there anything that the webmaster of the agilenewengland site can do so that NoScript users won't encounter this problem?

If not, is there anything he can do to detect that a user has NoScript installed and ZOOM.US is not trusted, so that he can display a warning message telling them what they have to do have the Zoom registration site work correctly? (And if so, do you have a suggestion for what that message should say?)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

dmr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:55 am If not, is there anything he can do to detect that a user has NoScript installed and ZOOM.US is not trusted, so that he can display a warning message telling them what they have to do have the Zoom registration site work correctly? (And if so, do you have a suggestion for what that message should say?)
The old "gracefully degrade" way, which too many "webmasters" seem to have forgot these days, e.g. by adding a HTML line like this:

Code: Select all

<noscript>Unfortunately this website cannot work unless you enable JavaScript (for zoom.us at least).</noscript>
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:105.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/105.0
dmr

Post by dmr »

Would that code have to go on the Zoom.US site, or would it work if the code were on the AgileNewEngland site?

As I understand it, the issue isn't enabling JavaScript in the browser (where it is most likely already enabled), but rather telling NoScript to trust the Zoom.US site. Ideally, we would like the warning only if NoScript is installed and Zoom.US is not trusted.

If I understand correctly (and I am NOT sure that I do), one could put the following HTML line in code that is executed when the user clicks the "Register" button on the AgileNewEngland site (I looked at the source code of the AgileNewEngland web page, and it wasn't clear to me where such a line should go)

Code: Select all

<noscript>You are using NoScript. In order to have registration on the Zoom site work properly, NoScript must be set to trust Zoom.US.</noscript>
and the warning would be displayed to, and only to, users who had NoScript installed, but it would be displayed whether or not they were already trusting Zoom.US. Is that correct?

If it is correct, is there any way of displaying the warning only to users who have NoScript installed but haven't set it to trust Zoom.US?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

The <noscript> tag is not specific to NoScript, in fact it has nothing to do with NoScript. Its content is shown to anyone who has Javascript disabled for that site by any means (which could be e.g. another addon, a browser built-in preference, by loading the content in a sandboxed iframe, or just by browsing with a program that does not support Javascript at all).

If getting to the zoom.us page works without zoom.us Trusted, and it isn't until you're actually on the zoom.us page that you need zoom.us Trusted, then the tag would belong on the zoom.us page.

It should not be technically possible to make this specific to NoScript in particular, unless there is a security/privacy sensitive bug in NoScript.

EDIT Note that NoScript, like other script blocking WebExtensions, must emulate the correct behavior of <noscript> tags for their contents to be displayed when appropriate. And although the emulation is enabled by default, it can be disabled by the user. See the sticky viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26285
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
dmr

Post by dmr »

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding.

I'm not going to try to get Zoom to do anything on their site. I will ask the webmaster of the AgileNewEngland.org site to display the following message whenever a user clicks a "Register" button that is about to take him to the Zoom.US site: "Note: If you are using the NoScript extension, NoScript must be set to trust Zoom.US in order for registration on the Zoom site to work properly."

I suspect that he would do it if the message were only displayed to users who have NoScript installed. But I think that he'll be very reluctant to display it to all users - since probably only a very small number of them have NoScript installed and the message is likely to be confusing to the majority of users. However, it won't hurt to ask.

Thanks again.