Block site redirects until "Recently blocked" feature returns (hopefully)

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
skkukuk

Block site redirects until "Recently blocked" feature returns (hopefully)

Post by skkukuk »

Using Firefox 99, I have been seeing more and more sites that redirect to an error page saying there is a problem (while giving NO useful information as to the problem), and in some cases it is NoScript doing what it should to block something. In the old days, I would check the "Recently blocked sites" to see if NoScript was blocking something that needed to be allowed. I know I can go through logs, but some of these idiot sites go nuts spamming the logs with other errors when anything doesn't go as they expect. Hundreds of log entries. :(

While bringing back the "Recently blocked sites" feature would be awesome :D until then... is there a way to block page redirects? So NoScript options can be checked BEFORE the site redirects to the error page? There used to be a firefox option to warn before redirecting, but that seems to have disappeared.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0
barbaz

Re: Block site redirects until "Recently blocked" feature returns (hopefully)

Post by barbaz »

Depends how exactly these pages are doing the redirects. Example URL?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
skkukuk

Post by skkukuk »

Sorry for the late reply. I have found some newer Firefox settings I have now set to warn or prevent redirects, but those settings apparently don't do anything when a site is redirecting to a different page on the same site - which makes sense, I guess. I run with everything completely blocked by default. NoScript default actions allow nothing, uBlock blocks everything by default, etc. In the good old days, I used ABE to allow/anonymize or block certain sites/urls as needed, and a final Anonymize for everything without a specific rule. And I used surrogates, of course. Okay... yes... I DO still use FF 56 with ABE for most things I do where it still works, but the list of sites that will work with FF 56 is growing shorter. Sigh, I miss those good old days.

Anyway, when sites redirect to an error page that does not include the bazillion requests to other sites that caused the error to happen in the first place, that "Recently Blocked" feature would come in handy. But no worries, I realize now that my question about blocking redirects was a bit silly, as I mentioned above. And thanks for the offer to dig into the site in question, but I will just continue digging through the log files myself for now when I hit these situations.

For the record, my personal priorty list for NoScript:

1) ABE, especially the Anonymize feature (since uBlock can do the blocking - but ABE was way easier in my opionion). I really miss Anonymize.

2) Surrogates - although I need to revisit an earlier conversation we had on that topic to see if there is a way to do that... that I can understand and implement.

3) The "Recently Blocked" feature.

Thanks to all of you for what you do to support NoScript users, and especially thanks to Giorgio for creating it.

Edit: PS - Your site still works with FF 56 that I am using to post, even though my useragent says I am using FF 88.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

skkukuk wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:11 pm 2) Surrogates
viewtopic.php?p=103883#p103883
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-