Cross Site Scripting Defaults Modification - xss Exceptions.js

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Mad_Man_Moon

Cross Site Scripting Defaults Modification - xss Exceptions.js

Post by Mad_Man_Moon »

Ello, I've noticed the below whilst combing through the Extension debug, and it would appear that I have no way of affecting change on these XSS settings that are built in.

xss/Exceptions.js

I can't post the code as it won't let me get it past the forum spam guard, unfortunately.

Have I read the intent here wrongly, or is this allowing (for example) Microsoft to run XSS unrestrictedly, for things like logins using a Microsoft ID?

Code: Select all

if (!srcOrigin && isGet) {
        if (/^https?:\/\/msdn\.microsoft\.com\/query\/[^<]+$/.test(unescapedDest)) {
          return true; // MSDN from Microsoft VS
        }
      }
Oh, I can get a snippet of the code in, just not the full thing.

I realise that might be a bad example because it actually specifically says MSDN, but there's a bunch of stuff in there that I might not really want to have XSS.

I realise that we have to jump around a touch (here & here) to modify the XSS options that we *can* change, and I'm aware of the built in 'Allows' that come with the package, and the acceptible caveat given to including them. They're options that I can change. These I worry that I can't remove for whatever reason.

This isn't a 'shouting at noscript' thing, I'm just trying to find out how I can ensure there's no more of these, and to change the ones that I don't wish to have in there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
barbaz

Re: Cross Site Scripting Defaults Modification - xss Exceptions.js

Post by barbaz »

You could link to the code in Github - https://github.com/hackademix/noscript/ ... eptions.js

This sort of thing existed in NoScript Classic, but they were configurable there. Looks like the only way to get rid of these exceptions in NoScript Webext is to patch the code.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Mad_Man_Moon

Post by Mad_Man_Moon »

Ah! Nice one.

And ... OK, cheers ... Obviously I'm not sure that I'm up to that, talent-wise ... would I just maybe make a fork without the defaults, perhaps?
(I'd remove the other ones, too and call it NoScriptNoDefaults perhaps)

Or ... something else? Heh. Or did you mean, download, change the bits (safely), then run the add-on as a local xpi?

I'm still not entirely sure of what I'm looking at, tbh.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Mad_Man_Moon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:56 pm did you mean, download, change the bits (safely), then run the add-on as a local xpi?
This, at least until these exceptions become configurable again.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Mad_Man_Moon

Post by Mad_Man_Moon »

Mmm, thanks, mate.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Mad_Man_Moon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:50 pm

}
      }
No, this is meant to allow Visual Studio (or other applications installed locally) to run MSDN search query containing code snippets without triggering the XSS filter needlessly.
The check for empty srcOrigin is meant to avoid other pages to exploit (unlikely) vulnerabilities in the search engine.
This does not give any extra "XSS power" to Microsoft :)

Similarly the other exceptions are very limited in scope, carefully crafted not to expand the attack surface and meant only to allow commonly used services to work without blocking the browser with XSS false positives.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.0
Mad_Man_Moon

Post by Mad_Man_Moon »

Cheers, Giorgio.
Giorgio Maone wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:29 pm
Mad_Man_Moon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:50 pm

}
      }
No, this is meant to allow Visual Studio (or other applications installed locally) to run MSDN search query containing code snippets without triggering the XSS filter needlessly.
The check for empty srcOrigin is meant to avoid other pages to exploit (unlikely) vulnerabilities in the search engine.
This does not give any extra "XSS power" to Microsoft :)

Similarly the other exceptions are very limited in scope, carefully crafted not to expand the attack surface and meant only to allow commonly used services to work without blocking the browser with XSS false positives.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:101.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/101.0