Dismissing the video placeholder chops up, eats into the text above (split from t=26586)

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
kukla

Dismissing the video placeholder chops up, eats into the text above (split from t=26586)

Post by kukla »

In addition to that, when I dismiss the video placeholder it chops up, eats into the text above.

https://i.postimg.cc/SQ72xj4s/Screen-Sh ... -52-PM.png

EDIT: actually, just checked with the 11.3.7, and it behaves just the same, eats into the text above. Guess I just never noticed it before.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Re: Dismissing the video placeholder chops up, eats into the text above (split from t=26586)

Post by barbaz »

Split to a new thread, this is a separate topic that deserves its own proper attention.

Could you please share that URL?
Does this happen on other sites too?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
kukla

Re: Dismissing the video placeholder chops up, eats into the text above (split from t=26586)

Post by kukla »

Aha, was wondering what happened to my post. Just saw this new thread split off.

The URL for that was simply the Times front page https://www.nytimes.com/

https://postimg.cc/fkyTHzJn

But that was yesterday, no longer finding the video placeholder there. And since I'm not readily finding any video placeholders to test anywhere I've looked on other sites, I'm not able to reproduce that.

Btw, off-topic probably dumb question, but even though I'm seeing Image, from various options in toolbar above, not sure how to post an image - why I've been posting links to Postimages for various screenshots.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:57 pm since I'm not readily finding any video placeholders to test anywhere I've looked on other sites, I'm not able to reproduce that.
I found video placeholders on few other sites but was not able to reproduce that behavior. Maybe it could be just how that specific site's design reacts to missing elements and/or not having something the size of the video there?
kukla wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:57 pm Btw, off-topic probably dumb question, but even though I'm seeing Image, from various options in toolbar above, not sure how to post an image - why I've been posting links to Postimages for various screenshots.
Right-click > Copy Image Link, then paste that between img tags, like this

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/SQ72xj4s/Screen-Shot-2022-03-23-at-6-43-52-PM.png[/img]
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

Yeah, could be just how that specific page is rendered. Will let you know if I find any others that behave similarly.

And thanks for the directions to post an image. I had been trying by dragging the .png directly from the Desktop into the image tags, but that was a no go. Besides getting a URL from Postimages, not seeing any more direct way of creating or getting a URL for an image sitting on the Mac Desktop. Wonder if I'm missing something obvious.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:46 pm And thanks for the directions to post an image. I had been trying by dragging the .png directly from the Desktop into the image tags, but that was a no go. Besides getting a URL from Postimages, not seeing any more direct way of creating or getting a URL for an image sitting on the Mac Desktop. Wonder if I'm missing something obvious.
You're not missing anything AFAIK. There is no way around uploading your image to a hosting service where you can get a publicly-accessible URL for it.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

New instance: seems to occur only when placeholder is just below main headline at https://www.nytimes.com/

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

It's how the site's CSS is designed. It doesn't take into account that the video might be removed. They set position: absolute on the headline element, such that when there isn't something the height of the video where the video should be, you get the described behavior.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

Finding these media placeholders much too large and very distracting - especially for the Times. They dominate the page. Is there some way that I can disable this function, either per site or globally?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:54 pm Is there some way that I can disable this function, either per site or globally?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26478
-