Any way to revert graphical change?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Re: Any way to revert graphical change?

Post by musonius »

jbrown wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:02 pm A company specialized in user experience (and probably not using NoScript on a regular basis themselves) made a good UI bad.
Here is the study: Designing for Power Users: A Case Study on NoScript

To be fair, I am not saying I agree with all of their suggestions, but they were at least rather different from what we currently see realized.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

jbrown wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:51 am Of course, it is.
Thanks jbrown, for some reason I thought that had been removed from Firefox, glad to hear it's actually still there & working.
jbrown wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:02 pm previous versions of NoScript also subtly highlighted the selected permission.

This doesn't seem to be possible any longer. You can set a background color, but unfortunately this would also hide the corresponding icon.
Does this fix it? -

Code: Select all

:not(#presets) > .sites .site:not(.customizing) .presets input.preset:checked {
  position: relative;
  z-index: 10;
  top: -1px;
}
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I apologize from my prolonged absence from this thread, but I've been under the mistaken impression it was silent until a moderator alerted me today, because I must have accidentally hit the "unsubscribe topic" link at some point :(

Just to clear up the current state of affairs regarding the UI:
  1. Nothing is still set in stone, because at this moment NoScript is undergoing a professional accessibility review and at the same time is adding user facing features, so further changes are to be expected, hopefully for the better.
  2. The current design is very loosely based on Simply Secure's work (almost exclusively on their rebranding proposal) and is much more driven by the need for a dark theme and for a more coherent desktop/mobile/web site visual story.
  3. Full disclosure: Dark Modern Red is the combination I use for my day-to-day browsing, but I'm committed to make all the combinations as much usable and enjoyable as possible.
Now for the pain points, please tell me if I'm understanding correctly:
  1. Now (after switching to a dark on white "S" for the permissive states) Modern Red icon work too, right?
  2. The selected preset label gradient is perceived as confusing: would reverting it to a matte background help?
Are there other show stoppers?

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 pm The selected preset label gradient is perceived as confusing: would reverting it to a matte background help?
Yes, that would be great! Image
Giorgio Maone wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 pm Are there other show stoppers?
Yes, the new design of the check boxes - viewtopic.php?p=105398#p105398

Also, placeholders do not respect selected icon theme - viewtopic.php?p=105351#p105351

EDIT And this too - viewtopic.php?p=105386#p105386
/EDIT

And there are two other issues that, although not quite "show stoppers", are annoying:

1) Bug: Auto theme + Vintage Blue icons with light system theme viewtopic.php?p=105338#p105338

2) The Vintage Blue option affects some theming in addition to the icons. The theming changes are bothering people (myself included). It would be better if the Vintage Blue toggle switch would *only* change the icons and nothing else.
-
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

The black (https) and red (http+https) locks have the same "Match content HTTPS only" tooltip.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

barbaz wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:22 pm Does this fix it? -

:not(#presets) > .sites .site:not(.customizing) .presets input.preset:checked {
  position: relative;
  z-index: 10;
  top: -1px;
}
It does! Thanks a lot.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 pmAre there other show stoppers?
  • The blue selection underline ("cursor line") doesn't help much spotting which line the cursor is on. Moreover, it stays fixed for the current url (or the selected item on the "Per-site Permissions" tab) and appears a second time following the cursor.
  • The size for the permission texts on the "Per-site Permissions" tab is too small. (It's wide enough on the popup page, though.)
  • Nitpick: The separator line between the upper control icons and the sites/permissions list on the popup page has become oddly fat and blurry.
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

A few more tweaks you may like:

more space for the permission text in the per-site permissions tab (adjust the px accordingly, the default is calculated and 100px in my case)

.presets input.preset:checked + label, #presets .presets label { width: auto !important }
#sites { --preset-label-width: 115px !important }
lighter gray for even lines

.__NoScript_Theme__[data-theme="light"] { --tab-color1: #eee !important }
no blue selection underline (cursor line)

.__NoScript_Theme__[data-theme="light"] { --focus-color: none !important }
.__NoScript_Theme__.vintage { --bg-focused-row: none !important }
thin separator line in popup window

#top { background: none !important; border-bottom: thin solid #eee }
a little bit of distance after the separator line

#scrollable { padding-top: .3em }
I am unsure about highlighting selected permissions, though.

EDIT Hm, this doesn't look bad:

.__NoScript_Theme__[data-theme="light"] { --tab-color1: #fff !important }
.site:not(.customizing) .presets input.preset:checked { filter: none !important; background-color: #e8e8e8 !important }
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

The alternating, reversing, color gradients definitely does not play well with me.
(800 K) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GaUKwW ... sp=sharing

white-to-gray-to-white
gray-to-white-to-gray
white-to-gray-to-white
gray-to-white-to-gray
white-to-gray-to-white
gray-to-white-to-gray
white-to-gray-to-white
gray-to-white-to-gray

And that screenshot is with all trusted.
Throw in Defaults, Temporarily Allowed & Untrusted &...
and you've got (to me) random "things" flying around the screen that no longer convey any sense of meaning.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.11.1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please check latest development build, thanks.

v 11.4.5rc1
============================================================
x [L10n] Updated he
x Various user-driven visual tweaks
x Fixed vintage icon brightness in automatic light mode
x Minor icon tweakings
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

11.4.5rc1 looks really nice! 8-) All eye strain gone and UI is much clearer! Thank you! Image

Only few minor things:

1) In NoScript Options, the selected preset is jammed up against the icon to its right. This does not happen in the popup. It would look better if the Options page had the same amount of spacing there as the popup currently does.

2) The focus halos still need some tweaking. They are almost invisible in all appearance combinations except Modern Red + light theme (I didn't test High Contrast). And when opening a CUSTOM, the focus halos only appear to blur the text of the active checkbox's label.

3) In Dark theme, the check boxes would be clearer if the check mark were white same as in light theme.
-
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

This is so much better to use, many thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.0
kukla

Post by kukla »

It seems that I may be in the minority on this, but not finding the latest 11.4.5rc1 an improvement over the the 11.4.3rc1, which I found quite usable. Could be that I'm guilty of being the princess in "The Princess and the Pea" http://hca.gilead.org.il/princess.html the princess who feels a pea disturbing her sleep through "twenty mattresses and the twenty eider-down beds", but the outlining around the permissions, as well as the fonts inside are blurry, too heavy, much too heavy-handed and actually distract from the rest of the menu. Thinner outlining and not quite so heavy font could be an improvement, at least for me.

Then again, I had zero issues with the UI of the original 11.3.7, and everything since then has been a fix for what wasn't broken. If we could just return to that....

EDIT: note the image linked from postimage shown below exaggerates this issue; it's not as bad as that, but it's bad enough.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@kukla Maybe Mac specific? I see what you mean about the fonts in your screenshot being blurry, it's not like that here on Linux.

Just for side-by-side comparison, reposting a screenshot of previous UI kukla posted earlier -
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

@kukla Maybe Mac specific? I see what you mean about the fonts in your screenshot being blurry, it's not like that here on Linux.
Could be I'm fighting with one hand tied behind my back, since this is a very old, by now, Late 2009 21.5" iMac, but FWIW (and probably not much as this belongs in the Dept. of Lost Causes), here's the original "unimproved," no outlining needed, 11.3.7, which for me at least wasn't broken and needed zero fixing.

EDIT: note that the original screenshot, as I see it on my Mac, as compared to the one rendered here, via postimage, has no blurriness in the permissions and the text and icons are much sharper.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0