Yahoo scripts on Tumblr

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
JoetheDead

Yahoo scripts on Tumblr

Post by JoetheDead »

I've noticed that some pages on Tumblr don't load properly if I have Yahoo.com scripts blocked. I don't understand this at all since Yahoo no longer owns Tumblr, but there it is. In some cases, there are also AOL scripts that have to be turned on. Can anyone explain this situation?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
barbaz

Re: Yahoo scripts on Tumblr

Post by barbaz »

Assuming this doesn't require login to see, could you please link a specific affected Tumblr page & explain in more detail what way(s) it's broken?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
JoetheDead

Post by JoetheDead »

Here's one example:

https://with-the-dromedaries.tumblr.com ... e-in-ostia

The buttons at the top of the page (like, reblog, etc.) don't work when those scripts are blocked.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Sorry, I'm not seeing any such buttons on that page at all, with or without aolcdn trusted.

But I do see something that might be related: the page is using AOL's CDN for libraries, and it's not requesting them normally, but asking aolcdn to merge several scripts together and serve them to the user as one single file. That file does not load for me, and its failure causes the page to have errors. I would suspect part of that merged script is needed to display the buttons I'm not seeing.

Yahoo, too, has a CDN, so could be a similar story in those cases.

So this looks like neither a NoScript issue nor a Tumblr issue, but just how the particular blog is designed.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-