Enabling JavaScript on One Particular Site

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Skeezix

Enabling JavaScript on One Particular Site

Post by Skeezix »

I'm using LibreOffice. When I click Help or press F1 I get a message saying that I need to enable JavaScript. I cannot find anywhere in NoScript that tells me how to do this, nor can I find anywhere to whitelist LibreOffice's Help site. Can you help me out here?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3208
* Firefox 115.0.2 Thunderbird 112.13.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:95.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/95.0
barbaz

Re: Enabling JavaScript on One Particular Site

Post by barbaz »

If you have Javascript disabled, it redirects to a separate page with that message. After setting file: to (Temp.) Trusted you need to load the original help page again.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

I just reset my permissions for LibreOffice from Trusted to Temp Trusted, then clicked Help in LibreOffice, and got the same results.

I don't recall ever disabling JavaScripts. I thought that maybe NoScript did that "behind my back"...

Do you have any other suggestions? I can't find anything in NoScript or Firefox's Tools menu that would disable/enable JavaScript settings.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

If you make sure FF is already running and that LibreOffice Help pages are loading in the already-running FF instance, does that work as expected with file: set to Trusted (as you had it)?
-
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

If I start LibreOffice when FF is already running and click Help or press F1 in LibreOffice, LO always tells me I need to load JavaScript. That message comes from an HTML file in my LO folder.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Can you get Javascript allowed on other local files?

Are you sure NoScript is what's blocking the JS?
If so, can you please test in a new, clean Firefox profile with only NoScript the only extension installed, and all default settings except setting file: to Trusted?
-
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

I'm not sure if FF is set to allow JS on other websites. I assume that it is (but we know where the word "assume" comes from, don't we :mrgreen: )

Yes, I'm sure. When I first noticed the problem I disabled NoScript and then I was able to see the LibreOffice Help website. When I re-enabled NoScript, the error message reappeared.

This is from the FF support page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/p ... x-profiles

"If you are troubleshooting a problem with Firefox: The Refresh Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its default state while saving your essential information. Consider using it before going through a lengthy troubleshooting process"

and this is from the FF support page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

"Important: A Firefox refresh removes add-ons and other customizations, such as extensions, extension data, and preference configurations. If you've made accessibility customizations to Firefox, you may need to add them back after refreshing. Consider using Firefox Troubleshoot Mode to diagnose issues before you refresh Firefox."

Looks like to me the two contradict each other.

And I have some things in my userChrome file that I don't want to lose, which I would as stated in the FF support page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... be-removed such as the following from that page:

"User styles (chrome subfolder containing userChrome and/or userContent CSS files, if previously created.)"

I'm afraid I'll screw things up more by mucking around more with FF.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Skeezix wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:09 am I'm not sure if FF is set to allow JS on other websites. I assume that it is (but we know where the word "assume" comes from, don't we :mrgreen: )
Yeah, don't assume. Put the following in a local file named "test.html" and open it in (an already-running) Firefox, what does it show?

Code: Select all

<!doctype html>
<div id="1">.</div>
<script>document.getElementById('1').textContent='Javascript Is Enabled';</script>
<noscript>You are seeing a &lt;noscript&gt; tag</noscript>
Skeezix wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:09 am [...]
I'm afraid I'll screw things up more by mucking around more with FF.
I didn't suggest using Refresh Firefox, nor using Troubleshoot Mode. Those wouldn't help here. If you create a new, separate profile for testing, it is exactly that, separate and only for testing. It won't muck around with anything in your existing profile.

Of course you can completely quit Firefox and then back up your main profile first, if it would make you more comfortable.

If it does work in the new profile, eventually the point would be to go back to your main profile and try to fix it with as little change as possible.
-