Question about ABE & using Noscript in combination with Firejail

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
security_matters

Question about ABE & using Noscript in combination with Firejail

Post by security_matters »

Hi,
I am a Linux user. I started using Noscript a long time ago.

ABE
At the moment I am using 4G internet but in the past I was using a cable broadband connection.
The cable broadband connection that I used back then provided connection to their customers using NAT. The issue was suppose a user who uses MS Windows connects the CAT5 cable directly to his PC's NIC his shared folders (if any) would appear in his neighbour's PC who is using this same ISP. In short the security was pathetic. I am glad that I left this ISP. Now, why I mentioned all this. This ISP provided a web page which customers use for login & this website was not hosted on the internet. It was a local IP address so my guess is the server is hosted on the LAN. I remember some instances where Noscript which was equipped with ABE back then warned me that this particular is trying to access my internal network. Sorry I can't remember the exact message coz I left this ISP some 4 years ago. So is the lack of ABE feature in the current version of Noscript bad for security ?

Using Noscript in combination with Firejail

I use Firefox inside a Firejail sandbox. So my question is since Firefox is isolated does it still make any sense using Noscript ?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Re: Question about ABE & using Noscript in combination with Firejail

Post by barbaz »

security_matters wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:56 am is the lack of ABE feature in the current version of Noscript bad for security ?
It is less secure than not having it.

FYI, ABE will be coming back in NoScript Webext. In the mean time, you can get some local network protection by using Port Authority.
security_matters wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:56 am Using Noscript in combination with Firejail

I use Firefox inside a Firejail sandbox. So my question is since Firefox is isolated does it still make any sense using Noscript ?
I do both. firejail only protects your local computer. NoScript also protects against web-based attacks that use your browser as a vector, e.g. XSS
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
security_matters

Re: Question about ABE & using Noscript in combination with Firejail

Post by security_matters »

I am waiting eagerly for the return of ABE. When I visited the Port Authority addon page I read that frustrating warning
This add-on is not actively monitored for security by Mozilla. Make sure you trust it before installing.
I am paranoid about security so I install only those addon which says "Recommended". My fear is if an untrusted has malware I will be doing damage to my browser security instead of enhancing it. I will just wait for the return of ABE to NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0