NoScript causing Iceweasel/system crash

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Time4Tea

NoScript causing Iceweasel/system crash

Post by Time4Tea »

Hi, I have recently installed Parabola Linux (variant of Arch) on a Macbook Pro and I seem to be having some problems with NoScript. It seems to be causing Iceweasel to crash with some websites, which is causing my whole system to freeze, such that the only option I have is to do a hard reboot with the power button. One website that seems to reliably cause this is sourceforge.net. If I navigate there with NoScript enabled, the crash will occur within a few seconds. However, if I disable NoScript then I don't experience any problems.

I am using NoScript version 11.0.26 with Iceweasel 90.0 (64-bit). I typically also use uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere; however, I have tried disabling both of those and it doesn't seem to help. Strangely, I have the exact same setup on a different machine (desktop), with the same versions of NoScript and Iceweasel and it seems very stable (in fact, I cloned that Linux system to setup this new machine).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to use the NoScript add-on, as I think it adds a very important layer of browser security.

Thanks in advance!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:90.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/90.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript causing Iceweasel/system crash

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Not sure why you're still using 11.0.26.
Could you check whether this problem persists with latest development build 11.1.12rc2? Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:92.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/92.0
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

Hi, thanks for your quick reply!

I believe that is the latest version in our repo. Sure, I will try the latest build and let you know if that fixes the issue :)
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

I tried the latest available version (11.2.12rc3) and I am still seeing the same system freeze. I have now seen it happen once or twice with NoScript disabled, although NoScript seems to cause it very repeatably with certain sites (e.g. Sourceforge as mentioned before). So, perhaps there is some instability with the version of Iceweasel I am using that is being triggered by NoScript under certain conditions?

Do you have any other suggestions?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Iceweasel is not a supported browser. Do you see this problem in Firefox?
Time4Tea wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:48 am I have now seen it happen once or twice with NoScript disabled,
Then it is not a NoScript issue. If it does not occur in Firefox, have you reported this to Iceweasel devs?

If it does occur in Firefox, maybe check whether the browser or system is running out of memory?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

barbaz wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:13 pm Iceweasel is not a supported browser. Do you see this problem in Firefox?
Time4Tea wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:48 am I have now seen it happen once or twice with NoScript disabled,
Then it is not a NoScript issue. If it does not occur in Firefox, have you reported this to Iceweasel devs?

If it does occur in Firefox, maybe check whether the browser or system is running out of memory?
Thanks for your suggestion, I will install Firefox and see if the same issue occurs. I will also report it to the Firefox/Iceweasel devs, as you suggest.

It seems unlikely it would be because of insufficient RAM. The laptop in question has 8GB and Iceweasel is crashing despite being the only graphical application running. My desktop also has 8GB of RAM and the same combination of Iceweasel and NoScript works fine there, which seems quite strange.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

FYI: I installed Firefox and I am seeing the same system freezes there too. I will contact the Firefox devs and see if they can help.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:75.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/75.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks for testing that and reporting back.

Next thing I'd check, is it graphics related? First make sure hardware acceleration is disabled in Firefox/Iceweasel - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... celeration
-
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

barbaz wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:25 am Thanks for testing that and reporting back.

Next thing I'd check, is it graphics related? First make sure hardware acceleration is disabled in Firefox/Iceweasel - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... celeration
Yes, I turned off the hardware acceleration and both Firefox/Iceweasel are now much more stable, with NoScript enabled as well. I'm not seeing the freezes that were occurring before, so I think that was probably the issue. Thanks for your help! :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:75.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/75.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Cool, you're welcome Image
-