NoScript forgets settings after Firefox update

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Wanos

NoScript forgets settings after Firefox update

Post by Wanos »

Hi,
I am using FF with NoScript since years, but since a month or so all my NoScript settings were gone. So I needed to allow Java for every web page again. This was annoying!. Now, after a new Firefox update, this enabled Java settings were gone again.

How can I keep my NoScript settings permanent? As there are frequent FF updates, the value of NoScript would decrease heavily because it is very time consuming to define the Java settings again and again.

Thanks for a quick solution,
Wanos
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript forgets settings after Firefox update

Post by barbaz »

Do you use Firefox Sync?

Do you use any third-party cleaning type software, e.g. CCleaner, that you have set to clean Firefox? If so I recommend disabling all Firefox-related cleaning in its settings. Firefox can clean itself.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Wanos

Post by Wanos »

I do not use any cleaning type software.

I have created a FF account and am syncing my profile between notebook and desktop.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@Wanos Remember to log in before posting so that you can use your chosen username and don't need to repeatedly solve the CAPTCHA for every post.
(I've fixed your above post this time.)

This is most likely a Firefox Sync related issue. I don't know anything about Sync, so can't help actually solve this, sorry.
Wanos wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:29 am all my NoScript settings were gone. So I needed to allow Java for every web page again. This was annoying!. Now, after a new Firefox update, this enabled Java settings were gone again.

How can I keep my NoScript settings permanent? As there are frequent FF updates, the value of NoScript would decrease heavily because it is very time consuming to define the Java settings again and again.
As a semi-workaround while waiting for someone who knows Sync to get to this thread, you could try using Import and Export buttons in NoScript Options so that you can just import your config back next time this occurs.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Bob.

Post by Bob. »

I don't use sync and never have, but NoScript won't remember trusted sites. Nor will it remember sites trusted by default when I've set them to untrusted (Google is a good example). I have to re-trust every site I frequent whenever I use firefox. Whenever I close firefox, all sites return to default. I hope someone comes up with a solution for this. Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

@bob.

Does that apply to you?
barbaz wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:54 pmDo you use any third-party cleaning type software, e.g. CCleaner, that you have set to clean Firefox? If so I recommend disabling all Firefox-related cleaning in its settings. Firefox can clean itself.
Bob.

Post by Bob. »

@musonius

Yes, disabling FF cleanup in Ccleaner seems to have done the trick. I now retain my trusted/untrusted settings. The oddity is that I've been using FF/NoScript and FF set to be cleaned by CCleaner for years without issue.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

Thanks for the feedback!