[NoScript Classic] Page Won't Load But Nothing Showing Blocked

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
barbaz

Re: [NoScript Classic] Page Won't Load But Nothing Showing Blocked

Post by barbaz »

Nice find! Image Thanks for reporting back.

In my experience e10s in Firefox before 57 was quirky.
dave9 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:48 pm I checked several times to determine that the lone setting that kept it from working was the browser.tabs.remote.force-enable;true
Interesting. I didn't need to touch that one to enable e10s in my FF 54 test environment. I think that difference would explain why I (still) can't reproduce it, even enabling e10s and testing with your NoScript config.
dave9 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:48 pm do I want to give up multi-process, or ABE, or browsing history, just to avoid clicking reload on first load of a minority of sites for each browser session? Not really, I'd be more inclined to just close my browser less often.
You're most likely aware of this already, but in the unlikely event not, maybe something to think about:

Your export file you PM'd me has ABE enabled but no enabled ABE rules. If that is your actual primary configuration, and not just something you did as part of troubleshooting this, then you would have no significant security difference just disabling ABE entirely.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
dave9

Post by dave9 »

I must be misunderstanding how ABE works. I thought it had some by default don't allow sort of rule set built-in? If not then why would having it enabled have caused the sites not to load on first try?

I mean it gets enabled by default on noscript install, but then won't do anything useful without user-added rules? That isn't the impression I had... but I never really thought about it till I noticed the issue of this topic.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

dave9 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 am I must be misunderstanding how ABE works. I thought it had some by default don't allow sort of rule set built-in?
There isn't really any built-in rule. ABE's only default rule is just that, a default and configurable rule - to prevent the broader Internet from using your browser as a vector to access local resources. You can disable that rule/ruleset, and the configuration you sent me does so (and has no user rules).
dave9 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 am why would having it enabled have caused the sites not to load on first try?
Having no ABE rules is not equivalent to disabling ABE.

ABE does a lot of processing of requests. Leaving ABE enabled but having no rules doesn't result in completely disabling that processing, it just makes the main functionality supposed to be a no-op.

ABE is also responsible for few minor unrelated things, in particular NoScript sending the DNT header (this specific one was implemented in NoScript because at the time was before Firefox release could do this itself without extension help).
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-