Firefox 89 Compatibility?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
rachaelseven

Firefox 89 Compatibility?

Post by rachaelseven »

Is the current build of NoScript compatible with the newest Firefox, version 89? When I upgraded FF, it seems to have broken NoScript. Many sites don't load, some links cannot be clicked, the NoScript settings screen pops up randomly and with no settings showing, disabling the extension doesn't seem to work (it turns itself back on), and more. Just totally broken. Am I the first to try it? Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0
barbaz

Re: Firefox 89 Compatibility?

Post by barbaz »

NoScript 11.2.9rc1 or 11.2.8 works fine for me in FF 89.

Please create a clean profile from scratch. Install only NoScript latest development build, leaving all the defaults.
Does the problem still exist?
If not, what if you then import your NoScript settings into the clean profile using the Import and Export buttons in NoScript Options?
If that still doesn't reproduce the problem, it's not a NoScript issue... try Standard Diagnostic (leaving NoScript enabled) to isolate and correct the real cause.

Let us know, thanks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
rachaelseven

Post by rachaelseven »

Thanks for the reply. Must be a conflict between NoScript and something else then. Those are a pain to sort, but I'll have at it. Are there any known conflicts I should be aware of?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

rachaelseven wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:30 pm Are there any known conflicts I should be aware of?
I'm not aware of any known conflicts that would cause the set of symptoms you described.
-
rachaelseven

Post by rachaelseven »

Thanks. I tried reinstalling it again today, to begin troubleshooting, and today it seems to be fine. I uninstalled/reinstalled several times yesterday, so I have no idea what is different. Maybe I restarted Firefox enough times or something. At any rate, it seems to be working as expected now. Thanks for the help.
TimPrescott

Post by TimPrescott »

same issue here

thank you rachaelseven for posting

an example site noscript crashes the browser on is https blog dot evjang dot com/2021/06/nft.html
Last edited by TimPrescott on Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
TimPrescott

Post by TimPrescott »

A reviewer has stated:
Something weird started happening recently, the extension just hangs and I'm unable to open websites. Debug info of the addon repeats this line

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
send moz-extension://0bdccd93-3bcd-40de-8763-8dcb82ab7603/nscl/common/Messages.js:66

The only way to fix this is to restart firefox. Disabling and enabling extension doesn't work (I could disable noscript and websites would start working, but then I'd have lots of scrips left unblocked).
Like the reviewer VoxPop I too began to have issues with this extension - which I have used for several years - quite recently. It appears to be related to Firefox Sync as whitelisted domains disappear after I have used another PC upon returning to my main machine.

It has been an excellent, if occasionally labour intensive, addition to my online security but as of writing it frustrates as much as it protects.

from those suggestions
I think this is the error:

Code: Select all

[NoScript] XSS filter processing  
Object { request: {…}, srcUrl: "", destUrl: "com/2021/06/nft.html", srcObj: null, destObj: {…}, srcOrigin: "", destOrigin: "com", srcDomain: "", destDomain: "evjang.com", originKey: ">com", … }
 Error: Timing: request interrupted while being filtered, no need to go on.
    onNavError moz-extension:// /xss/XSS.js:311
 Timing: request interrupted while being filtered, no need to go on. onNavError@moz-extension:// /xss/XSS.js:311:20
or this:

[NoScript]:13 Message not in NSCL-specific form
or this:

Unchecked lastError value: Error: An unexpected error occurred context-menu.js:461
    doTheMagic moz-extension:// /data/context-menu.js:461

// Common social embeds
		chrome.tabs.executeScript(tabId, {file:'data/js/embeds.js', frameId: frameId || 0, runAt: xml_tabs[tabId] ? 'document_idle' : 'document_end'}, function() {}

TimPrescott

Post by TimPrescott »

My debugging leads me to believe "Message not in NSCL-specific form" is the error.

[essage not in NSCL-specific f orm at: __prefetchCSSR esources__":{" type":"  CORS","
Please can you fix it?
TimPrescott

Post by TimPrescott »

maybe this commit is the issue:
CSS resources prefetching as a mitigation against CSS PP0
(https://github.com/Yossioren/pp0)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

TimPrescott,

1) Excessive repeated posting, as you did here, just puts you on our (moderators) watch list and looks spammy. Don't overdo it again. As a registered user, if you need to add something, you can edit your existing posts - just click the pencil icon.

2) Digging up dead skeletons from more than 10 years ago has zero relevance to anything current. That post can only be trolling, so it has been removed. Another reason you are now on our watch list.

Don't give us a third reason.
-
TimPrescott

Post by TimPrescott »

I've pointed you to a bug in NoScript people are complaining about, the source of the bug after spending my own time debugging and you react like this, I don't think you reflect on NoScript in a good way.
Last edited by TimPrescott on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

TimPrescott wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:15 pm I haven't dug up any posts from 10 years ago. I've pointed you to a bug in noscript people are complaining about, the source of the bug after spending my own time debugging [...]
Calling each other names is not the way we behave in this board, so please apologize and use your editing powers @barbaz mentioned to clean up the quoted post. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll just get banned.

That said, it's quite clear now your original intentions were good and you were trying to help.

However the messages you've posted are unrelated with the issue at hand: one is from a different extension called "doTheMagic", and the others are "normal" debug messages which don't point at any bug.

If you're still experiencing issues, could you please install latest development build which fixes an actual bug which might be related with the reported symptoms?

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:90.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/90.0
TimPrescott

Post by TimPrescott »

The issue is in the CSS prefetching, if I disable that the affected sites no longer hang. I can't sign the XPI with my modified code though so if you could add any kind of option (checkbox/about:config/prefs.js) to disable it that would be an adequate fix for me. Thanks
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.9
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

TimPrescott wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 pm The issue is in the CSS prefetching, if I disable that the affected sites no longer hang. I can't sign the XPI with my modified code though so if you could add any kind of option (checkbox/about:config/prefs.js) to disable it that would be an adequate fix for me. Thanks
You can just check "unrestricted CSS" in the DEFAULT preset (in NoScript Options>General) and be done with that, then.

BTW, maybe I've lost track of them in this thread, or maybe you've never posted them because they're sensitive, but could you share (in PM if you prefer)) the actual sites which misbehave with the CSS protection and your actual configuration (NoScript Options>Export) so I can better figure out if there's some more general solution to be applied? Thanks.

P.S.: thank you for editing your post to a more civilized form, but I couldn't read any apologize yet.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:90.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/90.0