Alles paletti?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Gast

Alles paletti?

Post by Gast »

Hi!
I see after a lot of discussion how to name "restricted CSS" the german translation now uses a completely different wording which doesn't have anything to do with the english one, "alles CSS". Note that "alles" usually means "everything" and not "all". So most Germans will read it as "everything CSS" which doesn't make any sense. However if "CSS" is seen as an uncountable plural, "alles CSS" would be grammatically correct. But it sounds so weird, and also to avoid misinterpretation, nobody would say it like that. Besides being short there's also no useful information in it. And it's not a translation but the personal choice of that guy. So I hope this change can be reverted. Alles OK?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Alles paletti?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Thank you for your points: I'm indeed open to revert the changes (not familiar enough with German to decide by myself).

Just a couple of clarifications:
  1. CSS stands for "Cascading Style Sheets", so it's plural.
  2. The concept we want to communicate here is the capability of rendering "unrestricted CSS", "unchecked CSS", or "any CSS, without checks from NoScript".
Given the above, do your objection stand with the same strength?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

I don't think that the translation "alles CSS" is correct because it does not communicate anything close to "unrestricted CSS" or "unchecked CSS" and it sounds super weird. This should read "unbeschränktes CSS" (which means exactly "unrestricted CSS"), which is the current translation at Transifex done by nautilusx.

I see that the (IMHO wrong) translation was commited here. I think that this commit (or at least the second part) should be undone. But I am also scratching my head what the first part of the commit is supposed to improve.
Gast

Post by Gast »

What it communicates at best is choosing all vs not all.

The actual problem is the collision of the 2 different words "alles" and "alle": using the first one would be plain wrong in this case; however when using the correct 2nd one for grammatical reasons when combining it with "CSS" one needs to add an "s" at the end, so we still end up with "alles CSS"; but this "alles" is a special form of "alle" and not the different word "alles"; that makes it super confusing; :?
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

FYI: The new translations have been uploaded to Transifex recently. I have restored the old text now, because it communicates what Giorgio wants to communicate (according to his above posting and the thread where the best naming was discussed), which the new text doesn't. I kept the other change of the same commit.
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

The German translation has been changed again: https://github.com/hackademix/noscript/pull/193 (commit).

The new translation "Einschränkungen im Hauptdokument auch in seinen Unterdokumenten anwenden" means "Apply restrictions in the main document also in its subdocuments" which is just another variant of the translation of the original text ("Cascade top document's restrictions to subdocuments" - "Einschränkungen des obersten Dokuments für Unterdokumente übernehmen"), which has been changed because it was hard to understand.

The current English text is "Any capability blocked in the top document must be blocked in its subdocuments too" and the translation before the (accepted) pull request was "Alle im obersten Dokument blockierten Fähigkeiten müssen auch in seinen Unterdokumenten blockiert werden", which is a rather literal translation of the original. It is right, that "Fähigkeiten" is unique, but so is "capability".

I have to admit that I am not happy with "Fähigkeiten", I basically failed in finding a better main term than the most fitting translation of "capability" I could find in the most common dictionaries. While I think that my translation of the current English text may be improved, I am not sure, if it is really better to return to the old text, which seems to be hard to understand for many people.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

By the way, in my opinion the suggested translation should better read "Einschränkungen des obersten Dokuments auch auf seine Unterdokumente anwenden". Since the change has already found its way to Transifex, I have corrected the translation accordingly.

Personally, I understand what the option does. However, the new text leaves open, if the restrictions of the top document are being applied in addition of the restrictions of subdocuments or if they replace them whatever they are. The text "Any capability blocked in the top document must be blocked in its subdocuments too" is clearer in that regard.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0