Noscript blocking google

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post

Noscript blocking google

Post by Guest »

Hi,

In the last week using 78esr when searching from google.com or using search from the context menu google pages are coming up blank if javascript is disabled. It is fine in the nightly, even though both versions have the same exact noscript settings.

Reverting to noscipt 11.2.4 resolves the issue. I thought unrestricted css had something to do with it but it doesn't seem to regardless of whether it's checked or not.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Noscript blocking google

Post by therube »

if javascript is disabled
Confirmed.

Well, initially, with 11.2.7rc1.

11.2.5rc3, also failed.
11.2.5rc2, worked.

Then... I put 11.2.5rc3 back in, & it worked.
Then... I put 11.2.7rc1 back in, & it too worked?

Clearing Private Data (cookies & such), doesn't seem to break things again?
So maybe it was "private data" (heh) that was broken to begin with, & now that Google is allowed to track me, again, they'll (now) display search results.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.8

Post by Guest »

It does seem to come and go, at least with 11.2.6 but mostly it's out. I'm probably just going to stay with 11.2.4 on 78esr since it works good but I thought I'd let you know since it hasn't been tested in the release versions.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Just noting what I'm seeing (cause Google is blank, again, 11.2.7)...

Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline (“script-src”).

Some cookies are misusing the recommended “sameSite“ attribute 2
Cookie “CGIC” will be soon rejected because it has the “sameSite” attribute set to “none” or an invalid value, without the “secure” attribute. To know more about the “sameSite“ attribute, read https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/ ... e/SameSite

---

Maybe it can be related to Private Window (too)?
Perhaps Private Window fails at the same time that a normal window succeeds?

Open FF (normally)
Open a Private Window
Perform a (google) search in the Private Window

Does using a Private Window enable/disable settings that would otherwise not be changed in a normal window?
(Private Window would not have access to existing cookies...)

---

I can seemingly interactively break things - in a Private Window, just by changing NoScript versions.
Using steps above, with 11.2.7 installed, Google search fails (search results not displayed).
Install 11.2.4, Alt+Enter on the URL bar, & new tab opens, & displays expected results.
Install 11.2.7, Alt+Enter on the URL bar, & new tab opens, & displays expected results.
Close Private Window.
Open Private Window.
Perform a google search.
Fails.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.8
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Try setting about:config > accessibility.blockautorefresh to true

The first time I tested this, I got the blank page as described, but also the infobar saying a meta refresh was blocked. Clicked to allow the meta refresh and I got search results (keeping google.com at Default in NoScript). Subsequent tests went straight to the working (non-blank) page (no meta refresh).
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
skriptimaahinen
Master Bug Buster

Post by skriptimaahinen »

What google does here is that they have one <noscript> tag on the page that first applies a style that hides everything on the page and secondly does a meta redirect to the mobile version of the search page.

So if you have javascript disabled and accessibility.blockautorefresh set false, you will just get the mobile version of search automatically.

Set accessibility.blockautorefresh true and you will have a blank page and infobar about the blocked redirect.

However, if you set the "noscript"-permission unchecked, neither the style or the redirect will take effect and you should have a normal google search page. Do note that this page relies heavily on javascript being enabled so lot of functionality will be missing.

(Recommendation: uncheck the "noscript"-permission only for the search domains with a CUSTOM rule - not on DEFAULT)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

Post by Guest »

With 11.2.4 noscript is checked with default tab and google is directing properly. accessibility.blockautorefresh is on false.

The latest nightly versions using 11.2.7 also work properly with noscript checked with the default tab.

There is apparently some interaction going on with 78esr and possibly earlier versions and noscript causing the break. For me it’s easier to stay with 11.2.4 on 78esr since it’s only got a few more months of support anyway.

Post by Guest »

I have the same problems with google and would like to add a simple observation:
After i upgraded the to latest version of noscript (yesterday) everything worked fine again
until i enable JS temp. for google-maps (big mistake). Since that time i have the problem again.
(unfortunately this forum uses JS from google.com also and would perhaps generate the next
problem).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I would wonder if some of this might be cookie related?
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Please try the latest development build, and let us know if it solves the problem.
-

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Tried the latest release 11.2.8 with 78esr and google was still coming up blank with default setting, accessibility.blockautorefresh > false and noscript checked. It seemed to work better in the latest nightly though. I'm staying with 11.2.4 for 78esr because it works good but will test out the newer versions for you.