Ads Running in Youtube when they didn't before

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
lilbuddha

Ads Running in Youtube when they didn't before

Post by lilbuddha »

Ads are now running in youtube when they didn't run before and I didn't change settings
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0
barbaz

Re: Ads Running in Youtube when they didn't before

Post by barbaz »

NoScript is not an ad blocker.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
lilbuddha

Post by lilbuddha »

barbaz wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:02 pm NoScript is not an ad blocker.
I know. However many ads require scripts to run. I've been using No Script for a long time and didn't have in video ads until just recently. I can cut all permissions on the YouTube pages, but then the videos don't run either.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

It's a Youtube change, not a problem with your NoScript. NoScript can't do anything about this.
-
lilbuddha

Post by lilbuddha »

barbaz wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 pm It's a Youtube change, not a problem with your NoScript. NoScript can't do anything about this.
Obviously YouTube changed something.
Are you answering as part of No Script?
Are you answering with specific knowledge of what was changed by YouTube? If so, why can't NoScript adapt to the changes?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I'm answering from the standpoint of being affected by this too and being a volunteer moderator here.

The ads are loaded by the same scripts as loads the videos, and are mostly loaded from the same origins as the main site and videos. NoScript is only a security tool, and from a security standpoint, there is no "I trust this resource from this site but not this other resource from the same site", and definitely no "I trust this part of this resource but not this other part". If the site is malicious, it can just move the untrustworthy stuff to where the trustworthy stuff was, so there is no security gain by having that level of granularity.

NoScript does not have the functionality to adapt to these Youtube changes, and adding it is outside the scope of NoScript.
-
lilbuddha

Post by lilbuddha »

barbaz wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 pm I'm answering from the standpoint of being affected by this too and being a volunteer moderator here.

The ads are loaded by the same scripts as loads the videos, and are mostly loaded from the same origins as the main site and videos. NoScript is only a security tool, and from a security standpoint, there is no "I trust this resource from this site but not this other resource from the same site", and definitely no "I trust this part of this resource but not this other part". If the site is malicious, it can just move the untrustworthy stuff to where the trustworthy stuff was, so there is no security gain by having that level of granularity.

NoScript does not have the functionality to adapt to these Youtube changes, and adding it is outside the scope of NoScript.
Thank you for the more detailed response. I was afraid that would be the answer.
I don't even mind the idea of ads, since it helps the content providers. However, the implementation can be fairly annoying. As well as the content of some of the ads.