Cascade top doc restrictions not working

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
novaleaf

Cascade top doc restrictions not working

Post by novaleaf »

Issue: I have "Temporarily set top-level sites to TRUSTED" and "Cascade top document's restrictions to subdocuments" checked. In the past, this seemed to work as I expected, as sites behaved "normally" unless I further restrict a resource like blocking facebook or the such.

A few days ago websites started breaking. Now I need to open NoScript and manually set various subdocuments to TRUSTED or TEMP TRUSTED. Basically it seems that the cascade feature is no longer working.

I think this might be a bug that started occurring when I upgraded to Firefox 86, which probably happened automatically a few days ago (about the time I started seeing sites break)

As an example, you could go to https://assetstore.unity.com/ and type something in the "Search for assets" box at the top of the screen. Unless you manually allow storage.googleapis.com the search feature will not work.

I tried Resetting NoScript options but same issue. I'm using version 11.2.3, from the Firefox Addons store. I disabled all my other addons when testing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
barbaz

Re: Cascade top doc restrictions not working

Post by barbaz »

That's not what that option means -
barbaz wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 am The actual effect is more like "Block subdocuments from having more permissions than their top document".
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25593
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

novaleaf wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:42 pm Issue: I have "Temporarily set top-level sites to TRUSTED" and "Cascade top document's restrictions to subdocuments" checked. In the past, this seemed to work as I expected, as sites behaved "normally" unless I further restrict a resource like blocking facebook or the such.
As barbaz pointed out, the "old behavior" was not the expected one, since "Cascade top document's restrictions" is not supposed to cascade permissions.

However, what you're probably looking for is configure the DEFAULT preset with a more permissive set of capabilities (like "TRUSTED"), and setting those sites you want to restrict to the UNTRUSTED preset.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:86.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/86.0
novaleaf

Post by novaleaf »

Okay thank you. That makes sense, I'll probably end up expanding default permissions, but will try to start by manually approving sites.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

novaleaf wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:16 pm But will try to start by manually approving sites.
Good idea, it's the safest usage pattern :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:86.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/86.0