NoScript breaks the Google Dictionary extension in Chrome

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Funk

NoScript breaks the Google Dictionary extension in Chrome

Post by Funk »

Can I please check if there's something I'm missing or doing wrong? With NoScript on, the Google Dictionary extension breaks; it just says 'Searching...' Even with all scripts whitelisted on the site page temporarily, it still doesn't work - only disabling the NoScript extension fixes it.

Is there a setting somewhere I've missed as I like the Dictionary but don't want to run without NoScript.

Many thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.182 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Re: NoScript breaks the Google Dictionary extension in Chrome

Post by barbaz »

Funk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:25 am the Google Dictionary extension
This one? - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... obmjgjcoja

I can reproduce the problem with fresh install of Chromium 88.0.4324.182 with that extension + latest NoScript. But I don't need to completely disable NoScript to get it working - enabling "script" capability for DEFAULT preset also works. So solving this is a matter of figuring out which specific site(s) this extension needs scripts allowed, I was unable to find them.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

The domain which needs to be manually set to TRUSTED (in NoScript Options>Per site Permissions) is

Code: Select all

content-dictionaryextension-pa.googleapis.com
I had to debug the background page of the extension to find out that it contains an iframe pointing to an entire page on that site which does the heavy lifting. Something (remote pages in a privileged content) which AFAIK is already cause for extensions not by Google not to pass the Chrome Store review, and that will be outright technically impossible in Manifest V3...
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:86.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/86.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 pm The domain which needs to be manually set to TRUSTED (in NoScript Options>Per site Permissions) is

Is that all? I did find that one and tried setting it to TRUSTED, and the Google Dictionary extension still didn't work for me.
-
Funk

Post by Funk »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 pm The domain which needs to be manually set to TRUSTED (in NoScript Options>Per site Permissions) is

I had to debug the background page of the extension to find out that it contains an iframe pointing to an entire page on that site which does the heavy lifting. Something (remote pages in a privileged content) which AFAIK is already cause for extensions not by Google not to pass the Chrome Store review, and that will be outright technically impossible in Manifest V3...
This fixed it, thanks for looking into it and posting the solution.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.190 Safari/537.36
Funk

Re: [RESOLVED] NoScript breaks the Google Dictionary extension in Chrome

Post by Funk »

Strangely this seems to have broken again. Could Google have changed something...?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/89.0.4389.90 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Likely yes. Now that extension is not working for me even in a new Chromium profile without NoScript.
-