Android - how to install Development Build on Firefox Daylight?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
garyf

Android - how to install Development Build on Firefox Daylight?

Post by garyf »

I used to just click the Development Build link and it automatically install said version; however, since Mozilla Firefox for Android updated its version to Firefox Daylight, I could no longer do that and just downloaded the Development Build and indicated that the downloaded file could not be opened either. I know that the final version is being automatically updated to a new final version, but it doesn't update to a newer Development Build that you want to install. Any work-around for this? I also noticed on my other add-on which is uBlock Origin automatically updated itself ... whether for a Final version, Beta build, or Release Candidate. Why NoScript could not do the same?
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 9; Mobile; rv:83.0) Gecko/83.0 Firefox/83.0
garyf

Re: Android - how to install Development Build on Firefox Daylight?

Post by garyf »

To: Giorgio, barbaz, therube,

It is more than 4 months now (actually, it will be 5 months on 4/5/2021) since posting the above-subject requesting information on how to install "Development Build" on Firefox Daylight (Android); however, I haven't heard any reply from you guys. Any takers?

I am sure a lot of Mobile Android users of Firefox Daylight are anxious to have any answers.

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I didn't reply because I don't use Android, so I have no idea on this one, sorry.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
garyf

Post by garyf »

Thanks barbaz for a quick reply. I appreciate it. M-m-m-m just wondering, who could be the developer for this add-on being used on Firefox for Android ... it is like Firefox Daylight (new Android version) by itself, whose developers suddenly took away the ability to access "about:config" which is supposed to be a big help in customizing the browser ... for privacy purposes, etc. Now I am thinking that maybe Firefox deliberately denying install of development build of NoScript? But geez, uBlock Origin automatically updated by itself ... whether for a Beta, Release Candidate, or for a new Final version. Why can't NoScript do the same? I am just wondering!

Thanks.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

garyf wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:59 am But geez, uBlock Origin automatically updated by itself ... whether for a Beta, Release Candidate, or for a new Final version. Why can't NoScript do the same? I am just wondering!
Are you saying that you can install a non-AMO uBlock version on Fenix? If so, could you tell me how?

As far as I know there's no way to install a development build (i.e. not AMO-hosted) on any Fenix-based Firefox for Android.
The work-around recently introduced in Nightly is meant to install non-recommended but yet AMO-hosted extensions (up to 25) by adding them to a "special" collection.

Of course you can always install stable NoScript version straight from the add-ons manager, since it's a recommended extension.

For development and testing purposes, I install NoScript dev builds in Nightly as temporary extension through the webext tool.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0
garyf

Post by garyf »

Thanks Giorgio for replying. The one that I am talking about is for Firefox for Android (They call it "Daylight."). On my Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, as I've said earlier, it automatically update uBlock Origin from installed Beta, Release Candidate, and to Final version and so forth. However, NoScript only automatically update itself to another Final version, but not to a Beta, or Release Candidate as I was unable to install Development Build in the first place.

I don't have any problem installing updates for Beta, Release Candidate, and to a Final version and so forth on a Windows Desktop version on both NoScript and uBlock Origin. In fact, uBlock Origin version 1.34.1b2 (updated from 1.34.1b1) is currently installed on my Android phone, and it automatically updated itself without any intervention from me. I happened to click on "Add-on" from the Menu, then uBlock Origin, and "Details" which showed an updated version.