[FIXED] Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Guest42

Re: Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, win7 firefox

Post by Guest42 »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:18 pm If this problem surfaced "in the past couple weeks", there are good chances latest development build can fix it. Please check it, thank you:

v 11.0.40rc2
============================================================
x Avoid synchronous policy fetching whenever possible
I tried v 11.0.40rc2 a couple days ago, it didn't help.

But just now when I opened Firefox with the new v80.0 update installed, and NoScript v11.0.41, everything seems to be working again! No more stalls upon loading anything YouTube related. I'm guessing it was Firefox all along.

And let me take this opportunity to say "Thank you!" for all your hard work. You are a scholar and a gentleman; a captain of industry, and a king amongst men!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:80.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/80.0

Post by Guest »

I have had the same issue for around a couple of months. As said by previous poster updating Firefox to v80.0 (with NoScript v11.0.41) does help a lot. However it doesn't fully fix the issue. Now instead of around a minute mostly freezing there is only like one or two seconds of lagginess. It is very much useable now while still not perfect. Memory usage jumps up by 1.5-2 GB (compared to 0.1 GB in private window) and about:performance shows few thousand as energy impact for NoScript during page load. This happens with both Youtube and Twitter. Haven't found other websites triggering this issue. Windows 10 x64, Firefox 64-bit, Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, SSD and around 8000 tabs in few windows. Essentially all tabs can be in unloaded state (just one tab per window loaded) and the issue happens right after resuming session.

Other add-ons don't affect if the issue is there or not but I did find out in previous versions that having uBlock Origin with NoScript causes the freezing to last longer and also show in about:performance. But the main reason is NoScript as there was zero lag with uBlock Origin on while NoScript was disabled. Also the amount of lag slightly depends on the tab count in current window. Otherwise empty window has perhaps half the lag opening Youtube than a window with 5000 tabs. And as others have already said using Private Window gets rid of all lag.

Post by Guest »

I was bumped to v80 and 11.0.41rc2 and this is much improved. Brief CPU spike with new youtube tabs or videos and no memory churn at all. This is promising...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:80.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/80.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest42 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:14 am just now when I opened Firefox with the new v80.0 update installed, and NoScript v11.0.41, everything seems to be working again! No more stalls upon loading anything YouTube related. I'm guessing it was Firefox all along.
Guest wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm updating Firefox to v80.0 (with NoScript v11.0.41) does help a lot. However it doesn't fully fix the issue.
So would it be reasonable to mark this as 'Unrelated' to NoScript?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

Post by Guest »

From V80 release notes:
The new add-ons blocklist has been enabled to improve performance and scalability.
I hope Moz didn't fix the problem by blocking NoScript. :)

Post by Guest »

barbaz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:43 pmSo would it be reasonable to mark this as 'Unrelated' to NoScript?
No. While the issue isn't as bad as it used to be it does still exist and only happens with NoScript. Firefox alone or with some other extensions doesn't have any lag whatsoever even with thousands of tabs.
M-R

Post by M-R »

I upgraded Firefox to 80 and I too confirm what the other are saying: the problem did not go away entirely, but now is much more tolerable, instead of having 7-8 minutes of total freeze, now Firefox freeze a few seconds at most, and take up a lot less memory during the feeeze.

I still had not the time to see if this continue to be the case after hours of use (the problem got worse and worse in time before version 80, forcing me to reboot the PC rather often), but what worry me is this: even if this Firefox upgrade in practice solve the problem, reducing its impact, what assurance we have that with Firefox 81 it will not return? I would be less worried if the nature of the problem was discovered...

I noticed another difference, but I don't know if mean anything or not: there is no more a "main thread" process in the system monitor, the process that take up the most memory is simply called "Firefox". (the other processes are still called "web Content" and "Webexternsion")
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:80.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/80.0

Post by Guest »

Original Guest here... v80 (and yesterday's patch) seem to be holding up. There is a short-duration CPU spike when youtube.com is opened but that is maybe 1% of the disruption this problem has been causing. What's more bothering is that this looks like a pretty significant issue present in FF for several releases. Yet I can't find any mention of the problem in the release notes. Very disappointing.

One other benefit, also anecdotal: FF had been having some terrible long-term address space growth issues for, well, ever but particularly bad in recent months. This seems to have curbed the growth a bit. Not gone, it's still a bloaty beast, but better.
M-R

Post by M-R »

After using FF80 for a few days...
1) As written in the last post, a little spike (larger than the usual one for a new page) when opening a page with a yt video is still there, but with a much shorter duration and amount of memory used.
2) as before, the problem gets worse the longer FF stay up before closing and opening it again, and after opening pages with yt videos. After a while opening a yt page becomes annoying again, but still much less than before
3) Checking the processes in the system monitor, the big difference is that "WebExtension" process doesn't spike anymore, now only the main thread (after the first reboot it was called like that again, not "Firefox" like the first time). When I open a you tube page, the Main thread still spike up to over 100% cpu and by some GB of memory, but "webextension" stay still (sometimes some "web content" process spikes, too, especially after some hours of heavy use). And after a few seconds it returns to normal.

Post by Guest »

Not sure if this is related but I've been having this issue with noscript lately (since atleast August 18th) on Waterfox where my local images would stop displaying and would just show as black garbled text, the browser would stall and the RAM usage would rise by about 100mb per second until it would max out. I changed back to Firefox thinking it was a Waterfox issue but after 3 weeks or so I have the same issue again, and now I've noticed it happens immediately when I enable noscript under certain conditions, like I noticed going on Twitch following page would trigger it. Oddly if I then disable noscript the browser continues to stall and the RAM usage continues to rise, but I haven't had it trigger without the add-on enabled. I also have a lot of tabs open, on W7, and a lot of the tabs are youtube, latest noscript and firefox version, issue still occurs with no other extensions enabled. Sorry I can't be more specific, but noscript is unusable right now :|
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:23 pm my local images would stop displaying and would just show as black garbled text,
Guest, I think you are describing two separate issues. This one seems same as viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26110
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
M-R

Post by M-R »

The behavior of this big/glitch/problem is maddening!

Seeing that 11.0.41 worked well and had lessened the problem, and reading about some problems with 11.0.42, I disabled the automatic update and decided to stay with 11.0.41 until the new bugs were resolved. So I updated nothing, no software at all, in my PC in the last few days.

Until yesterday the problem was lessened as I said in my previous post. After watching you tube video for a while it was frustrating again, but a reboot fixed that, and I realized that I was not precise in my last post, webEsxtension still did spike up, but only in cpu activity, not memory, and for a short time

Then, yesterday evening I rebooted the PC. No software changes at all, PC just rebooted, and I entered a videoconference using meet.google.com, three hours long, with a parallel telegram web channel.

I did watch no you tube video at all. I did not upgrade anything. I downloaded no file. After three hours I close the videoconference... and my PC is suffering freezes, when I open pages that don't have any yt video. It's still webExtension that spike up, but this time it stays up at 120% for a while, freezing my firefox (not the entire PC, sorry, it's Firefox that freeze). And the memory used goes up, too.

I will reboot the PC again now, hoping that it will return to having the problem lessened as before...
M-R

Post by M-R »

Yesterday I had to save a few web pages. It's something I seldom do, and had not done it for weeks until yesterday.
I tried to save the first page... and Firefox froze. For minutes. Totally unresponsive. Checking the system monitor i saw the EXACT same behaviour that I saw when I was trying to watch you tube videos, when I first posted in this thread. But while the you tube problem is, if not resolved, at least reduced to a tolerable level, it seems that this "save" problem is not.

As before, both the "main thread" and "webextension" rise very quickly both in cpu and memory used (the memory used increase of 4-5 GBytes in a few seconds, even with very simple pages, and Firefox become totally unresponsive for minutes.

The "save" of the page fails, obviously. But if I click on the "display the progress of ongoing download" arrow, select the failed page download for the save, and then I click on "retry" (without using the "save" command again)... the page gets save with no hassle at all, there is no memory spike, nothing.

So, to save every single page, I have to (1) wait for 5-10 minutes while firefox is totally unresponsive, and (2) retry afterward the failed download.
After every save, the memory used don't really go down to the same level as before, and after saving a number of pages, the system could crash.

And I have to save dozens of pages in the next few days... :-(

To the other people who had the you tube problem: do you have the same problem with "save page"?

Do anybody has any idea about what it's causing these freezes?

(I am using Noscript 11.0.46 and firefox 81)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0

Post by Guest »

M-R wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:14 pm To the other people who had the you tube problem: do you have the same problem with "save page"?
It's generally been better though 81.0 was starting to show some general high cpu usage and some stalling on new pages like youtube. But I just tried a few page saves. With the second one, I got three firefox processes in high cpu pattern (one was almost certainly the WebExtension with 500M page faults). UI is partially responsive with 'about:performance' making progress. I can scroll some, but not all, rendered tabs. Stale/detached tabs are just blank pages. They don't render. Now and then, No-Script bubbles to the top of the 'about:performance' page as do the 'printing' tabs. On the order of a minute or more, all UI elements become responsive and the stale tabs render. I still have two high cpu FF processes.

Win7, FF 81.0 here.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0

Post by Guest »

Behavior seems to be deteriorating again. I'm getting 10-20 second stalls with streams interrupted and things like 'about:performance' not updating. Youtube is usually involved. For example, click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKoDCdwFKTE (SFW), which will start slowly. Then, while video plays, give the smarturl.it link in the description a click. That, too, will stall. It isn't quite the hard stall previously but some UI elements become very sluggish. Win7, 64bits, FF 81.0.1, NoScript 11.1.1rc1 (man, a lot of '1's).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0