Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, win7 firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Francois

Re: Stall/high cpu usage with youtube, high tab count, win7 firefox

Post by Francois » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:38 am

Good to know I'm not the only one with the slowness issue. If it's any consolation, twitter is quite a bit worse than youtube. Half the time a new twitter link times out before filling the screen then you have to reload the tab. Disable ns, no problem at all.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

Nacho

Post by Nacho » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 am

Hey so it was getting so bad I had to do something to fix it, if not remove it all together (which would be terrible).
I found a fix!

I went through the Github and started trying previous versions. I found one that doesn't have the stall with youtube.

Version 11.0.11 works. V11.0.12 has the issue. So something between 11.0.11 & 11.0.12 and future release is causing this issue for me.

tldr: If you having this issue try V11.0.11 on github temp fix for me now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:82.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/82.0

barbaz

Post by barbaz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Nacho wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 am
Version 11.0.11 works. V11.0.12 has the issue. So something between 11.0.11 & 11.0.12 and future release is causing this issue for me.

tldr: If you having this issue try V11.0.11 on github temp fix for me now.
(Old NoScript versions can also be obtained from
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/noscript/versions
*or*
https://noscript.net/feed?quantum&c=100
)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

Unicous

Post by Unicous » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:48 pm

I've been having this issue for a while now and it was seemingly fixed when i updated to FF Beta 82 or at least not that noticeable. I was thinking it was caused by Firefox and some incompatibility but it seems obvious now it's actually NoScript.

I have a lot of tabs, almost 800, I'm on Windows 10 and Beta 84.0b3, and I installed the latest NoScript DevBuild, but that didn't fix it. Opening a private window fixes the hanging/lagging.

It's mostly happening with Youtube and embedded Youtube Videos, but Twitter is also affected.

Opening Youtube or having embeds in opened websites hangs the Browser for up to 30 seconds. Opening Twitter is slow, opening multiple Twitter links makes the Browser laggy for a few seconds.

Is there any fix planned cause i can't find the 11.1.3 anymore and to be honest I don't feel too comfortable going back in versions that came out moths ago.

I also found a bug that was filed at Bugzilla, it describes the problem as well.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1677393
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:84.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/84.0

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:13 am

Unicous wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:48 pm
Opening a private window fixes the hanging/lagging.
I was surprised to read this, I remember having the problem even in private windows. So I checked it and I can confirm: Firefox 83 for Linux, freshly started in a rebooted PC, I opened a private windows (in addition of the thousands of tags in 6 not-private windows I already have), and in that windows I tried opening a not of you tube video: none of them caused any problem, at all.

Then I tried opening a youtube video in one of the not-private windows... and BAM! Firefox froze, but this time, for a very, very long time.
The problem was getting worse and worse in time, so maybe it was caused by this, I don't know. Or maybe opening all these video before cumulated something that made the next hang worse, I don't know. But at this moment the problem seems absent from private windows (I tried both after a login on You Tube and without logging in, both were the same)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0