All Per-Site Permissions Lost on Update - Firefox 77.0.1

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
M4rcqtp

All Per-Site Permissions Lost on Update - Firefox 77.0.1

Post by M4rcqtp »

Hello all,

Earlier this evening about 2-3 hours ago, I noticed that the NoScript "Trusted" & "Untrusted" icons in my browser - Firefox 76.0.1 [Always Incognito/Private Browsing] at the time (wasn't aware of the new private browsing change that results in gray icons) had all turned gray on every new tab that I was opening. After digging around with no luck, I stumbled on this thread from your forums which explained it.

However, after reading the thread I turned off Incognito Mode / Private Browsing & updated Firefox to 77.0.1, only to have it re-open my homepage with NoScript blocking it. Confused, I checked options to discover that all of my "Per-Site Permissions" had been cleared out of no where - I never reset my browser, nor loaded it in safe mode, or made literally any changes other than update & turn off Incognito Mode once.

Is there any way I can restore this? I've accumulated my NoScript list over probably ~8-10 years now and completely forgot to back it up as of probably 4+ years ago (no excuse, lesson learned).Any help/insight is appreciated.

tl;dr Updated NoScript & Firefox [Permanent Private Browsing for years] & lost all my NoScript 'Per-Site Permissions' that I've accumulated over years. Is there any way to restore/recover it or revert the change (besides System Restore)?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by barbaz on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no need to explicitly mark this thread Unresolved
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:77.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/77.0
barbaz

Re: All Per-Site Permissions Lost on Update - Firefox 77.0.1

Post by barbaz »

Do you use Firefox Sync?
M4rcqtp wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 am Is there any way I can restore this? I've accumulated my NoScript list over probably ~8-10 years now and completely forgot to back it up as of probably 4+ years ago (no excuse, lesson learned).Any help/insight is appreciated.
Do you have any more general backups that would include your Firefox profile folder?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
M4rcqtp

Post by M4rcqtp »

barbaz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:18 am Do you use Firefox Sync?
Yes, I do. It says last backed-up ~55 minutes ago, but that was already post-wipe of the permissions. Is there a way to reach the back-dated syncs?

Edit: I've had Firefox Sync enabled since November 25th, 2019 & always have used Private Mode for as long as I've used NoScript, maybe more, without any issues.
barbaz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:18 am Do you have any more general backups that would include your Firefox profile folder?
Sadly not that I can find after searching around, just my old Firefox Profile that I backed-up semi incorrectly the first time by only syncing \AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ sub-folders :cry: Honestly though, I've somehow been incredibly lucky never to have a full hard-drive failure where I've lost all the data to the point it's unrecoverable (outside of an external drive being stolen out my car) - but I've recently changed my ways and am currently backing everything up to my new WD PR2100 NAS (RAID 1 - 4TB)

FYI - I do have a Windows Recovery image from yesterday late afternoon as a last resort.
M4rcqtp

Post by M4rcqtp »

M4rcqtp wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 am
barbaz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:18 am Do you use Firefox Sync?
Yes, I do. It says last backed-up ~55 minutes ago, but that was already post-wipe of the permissions. Is there a way to reach the back-dated syncs?

Edit: I've had Firefox Sync enabled since November 25th, 2019 & always have used Private Mode for as long as I've used NoScript, maybe more, without any issues.
Also, one thing to add about Firefox Sync, I've never used it on any other machine except my current one I'm on (unless you count updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 back in January 2020). Not sure if that affects anything but just in case.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

-
M4rcqtp

Post by M4rcqtp »

Sorry for the late reply, was working on finishing up development for a client's project that's on a tight schedule. Also, I'd like to express my gratitude for you offering assistance in trying to get this resolved for me, and providing me with potential avenues to explore to find a resolution.
barbaz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:04 pm Same issue as viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25927 ?
Hm, I don't think so. Here's what my answers to the questions would be from that thread, my answers are in this purple/violet
  1. Do other addons settings save? No, I tried trusting a site on Ghostery & uBlock Origin, closed out Browser & lost settings (FYI as of yesterday, I've set Firefox's Browser Policy from "Strict/Custom" [as secure as I could make it] to "Standard" & changed History from "Never Remember" to "Always Remember")
  2. Do other NoScript settings changes save? No, only in the current session but once I close, they're all cleared (per-site permissions & "Appearance" setting changes).
  3. If you, for example, change a setting in NoScript Options > Appearance, does that change stick? No
  4. Do you use Firefox Sync? Yes, since Nov 2019 - only on PC ever and don't actively do anything with it at all.
  5. If so, does this issue also happen in a new, separate Firefox profile that is not set up with your Firefox Sync? Unfortunately when I started a new profile, for some reason Firefox loaded an old version (76.0.1) even though I only have 1 Firefox version installed... then I quickly retried my default profile to make sure FF didn't downgrade, and thankfully it didn't since my profile opened back up in 77.0.1.

Deleted that NewProfile then made a new one and opened the correct version this time so I installed NoScript as for w/e reason it wasn't there (is there on my main/default profile), & managed to successfully have it save a site-permission, even after exiting & re-opening.
  6. Do other addons settings save? On the new profile? Yes (On my main default profile? No)
  7. Do other NoScript settings changes save? On the new profile, yes. (Mine? No)

Please let me know if I can provide any further information to assist here. I'm very comfortable working on computers as I'm an RPA Developer for a living and have always had a love for fixing computer related issues, this just isn't a strong area of mine with Browsers & extension development.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.61 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Since other addons settings aren't being saved either, but you have no problems in a new profile, I suggest sticking with the new profile and copying over only your important data, watching to make sure the problem doesn't recur - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

At this point this is just a damage limitation measure, to prevent more data being lost. Unless your Firefox profile is backed up in your Windows recovery image and you can extract it from there, I don't have any further ideas for how to recover the lost data, sorry.
-