NoScript randomly resets individual tab settings

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
vulcanrodr

NoScript randomly resets individual tab settings

Post by vulcanrodr »

Hi,

I am running NoScript 11.0.23 on Firefox firefox-74.0_2 on FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE. I am seeing a couple of bothersome behaviors.

1. On random tabs, NoScript will reset it's settings, e.g. turning "temp trusted" back to default (untrusted). And it does this without changing the state in the pulldown that appears when you click on the item. Sometimes, I can click the master reload (green circular arrow in the top row of the pulldown), which usually works, though on more than one occasion didn't, requiring me to restart firefox.

2. I have encountered this as well. I click reload on a tab (for instance to update a news tab), and it will never reload. It will do this on all tabs, master reload does not work, and I have to restart firefox.

I have been running rosetta@home to donate cycles to the covid-19 research efforts, and the problem with noscript seems to be exacerbated when there is memory pressure, but both behaviors still occur regularly when the system is in it's steady state.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to fix this?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; FreeBSD amd64; rv:74.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/74.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript randomly resets individual tab settings

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Temporary permissions are reset whenever NoScript is restarted, which includes automatic updates: this happened a lot in the past few days, and this might be disorienting.

Regarding the second behavior, I'm not sure I understand: how are you linking it to NoScript?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:75.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/75.0
vulcanrodr

Post by vulcanrodr »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 pm Regarding the second behavior, I'm not sure I understand: how are you linking it to NoScript?
Hi Georgio,

I apologize for the long reponse time, I was never notified of your reply via email.

I link it to NoScript because when this occurs, the NoScript icon changes from an S (or and S in a red circle/denied) to an S? icon. At that point, it will not reload the tab, and I am minutes from a firefox restart.

--vr
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; FreeBSD amd64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

vulcanrodr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:04 pm I link it to NoScript because when this occurs, the NoScript icon changes from an S (or and S in a red circle/denied) to an S? icon. At that point, it will not reload the tab, and I am minutes from a firefox restart.
The icon changes is just due to the tab being reloaded changing to an undefined status (from NoScript's standpoint) until the new page actually starts loading. Which, according to your report, never happens. So it looks like a correlation, rather than a causation.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:79.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/79.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

2. when browser is under heavy load, some dialogs "go wild", i.e., modal, where otherwise they wouldn't be.

So maybe something like that is going on (though can't say I've notice the particular behavior mentioned).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5