Doubleclick doesn't show in list but I need to Temporarily Trust it

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
glnz

Doubleclick doesn't show in list but I need to Temporarily Trust it

Post by glnz »

When NoScript is running normally, I don't see doubleclick listed in NoScript at all.

Maybe long ago I globally Not Trusted it so it doesn't show up any more? How do I set NoScript so that I see doubleclick (as Default) with all the other sources of scripts and can decide whether or not to Temporarily Trust it?

(Apparently, permitting doubleclick is needed to see certain editorials on the new web pages of nytimes.com.)

Thanks.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:69.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0
barbaz

Re: Doubleclick doesn't show in list but I need to Temporarily Trust it

Post by barbaz »

Does it show up on sites other than nytimes.com, e.g. https://www.npr.org/ (with npr.org (Temp.) Trusted)?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
glnz

Post by glnz »

barbaz - after I last posted below, I went into options and added doubleclick.net as "Default".

Now, yes, there is a listing for doubleclick.net in npr.org after I Temporarily Trust npr.org.

In the new landing web page for NY Times op-ed editorials --
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... icans.html ,
doubleclick does not show at first, and the "Read More" button does not work to show me all the editorials, UNTIL I Temporaily Trust googletagmanager.com, after which the the "Read More" button works, I can see the entire editorial, and then doubleclick.net is back in the list as Default. I don't need to Temporarilty Trust doubleclick and it continues as Default, but I must permit doubleclick.net in Disconnect

I think that long ago I set doubleclick.net to be totally Untrusted or banned. It is now set as "Default". What do YOU do?

Thanks.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

glnz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:51 pm the "Read More" button does not work to show me all the editorials, UNTIL I Temporaily Trust googletagmanager.com, after which the the "Read More" button works, I can see the entire editorial,
Sounds like nytimes' new site code just doesn't take into account that googletagmanager script might be blocked or fail to load. NoScript Classic solved this type of situation with surrogate script (and IIRC even had one for googletagmanager?). But NoScript Webext doesn't have surrogate functionality.

For cases like this, I now use uBlock Origin.
glnz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:51 pm I must permit doubleclick.net in Disconnect
Is it possible that Disconnect is including googletagmanager.com under the umbrella of "doubleclick" due to them both being Google advertisers/trackers?
glnz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:51 pm I think that long ago I set doubleclick.net to be totally Untrusted or banned. It is now set as "Default". What do YOU do?
I set it as Untrusted.
-
glnz

Post by glnz »

Barbaz - On the affected NYT editorial web page, Disconnect is showing doubleclick.net and googletagmanager.com as separate red circles in the "visualize page" display.

I assume I have NoScript WebExt on my Firefox 69.0.1. Is there any way to flip back to NoScript Classic?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

glnz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:56 pm I assume I have NoScript WebExt on my Firefox 69.0.1. Is there any way to flip back to NoScript Classic?
Unfortunately Firefox 69.0.1 only supports WebExtensions.
-