Firefox NS icon not showing correct # of blocked scripts

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
fade2gray

Firefox NS icon not showing correct # of blocked scripts

Post by fade2gray »

Hello.

Sometimes the NS icon does not show the correct number of blocked scripts, i.e. sometimes it will indicate there are several scripts blocked by default when there are none to be seen in the drop-down list and sometimes it will show there are no scripts blocked by default when there are some in the list.

Display blocked items count badge is checked.

Example of Gmail images not displaying due to blocked script:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
barbaz

Re: Firefox NS icon not showing correct # of blocked scripts

Post by barbaz »

The icon reflects actual "script" permissions and blocked scripts, not which presets are selected for every listed site.

If you set ggpht to Custom, which checkboxes show as reddish-brown highlighted?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
sonickydon

Post by sonickydon »

I also noticed this behaviour but can't remember exactly when it started (could be a Nightly issue). You can clearly see though in the screenshot that the icon reports 2 blocked scripts while the menu lists only one.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GkcnHe ... sp=sharing
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@sonickydon that is a different issue - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24250
-
sonickydon

Post by sonickydon »

Sometimes the NS icon does not show the correct number of blocked scripts, i.e. sometimes it will indicate there are several scripts blocked by default when there are none to be seen in the drop-down list...
Excuse me if I posted at the wrong thread but that description fits the issue I noticed and it was the first thread I noticed in the forum about it.
Anyway, I'll have to blame it on Nightly since I can't reproduce it today (at least not on twitter)

UPDATE

Perhaps it's relevant information: I just noticed that this can change when the top level domain is allowed. It might report none or varius scripts blocked while the top level domain is blocked. Not an expert but it could be some aggressive caching issue on behalf of Firefox?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

sonickydon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:45 pm Excuse me if I posted at the wrong thread but that description fits the issue I noticed and it was the first thread I noticed in the forum about it.
The OP seems to be describing an unexpected behavior involving the state of the NoScript icon *image*. Your posts are asking about the intentional/expected behavior of the blocked-item count badge.
sonickydon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:45 pm UPDATE

Perhaps it's relevant information: I just noticed that this can change when the top level domain is allowed. It might report none or varius scripts blocked while the top level domain is blocked.
Blocking scripts on the top-level site should also block third-party scripts loaded by the top-level site. It has been this way since NoScript Classic. See FAQ 1.13
-
MadeUpName637

Post by MadeUpName637 »

I came here looking for an answer to this same problem.

The badge count is quite ofetn higher then the number of sites listed in the drop down.

When I go to "https://store.steampowered.com/" I see 3 blocked scripts but only 2 addresses show in the dropdown.

Firefox 68.5 ESR and NS 11.0.6 (NS is set to auto update)
Last edited by barbaz on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: kill board-generated link
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.102 Safari/537.36 Edge/18.18363
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

MadeUpName637 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:22 pm I came here looking for an answer to this same problem.

The badge count is quite ofetn higher then the number of sites listed in the drop down.

When I go to "https://store.steampowered.com/" I see 3 blocked scripts but only 2 addresses show in the dropdown.
barbaz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 am that is a different issue - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24250
-