Can't see plain text with v10 that I could with v5.1.9

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
zhool

Can't see plain text with v10 that I could with v5.1.9

Post by zhool »

Hi,

Firstly, thanks very much for NoScript, without it I would not be able to use the internet with any confidence.

There is a site I use regularly but do not want to allow in NoScript; I can read all the text with it blocked using 5.1.9 (FF56), but when I update to Quantum/v10 I can only see the background image on the site, and no text. Allowing everything but scripts made no difference, and so I have reverted to FF56.
Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
Z
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Can't see plain text with v10 that I could with v5.1.9

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Could you please provide the URL of the site (by PM, if you prefer)?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0
zhool

Post by zhool »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Hi,

I've seen what's happening.
As a naive anti-clickjacking countermeasure, the site is hiding everything inside the body and forcing it to be displayed only after verifying that the page is not framed.
NoScript 5.x probably works around with a Surrogate Script, which is not included yet in NoScript 10.
You can work around yourself by using an extension like Stylus which allows custom stylesheets to be added to pages, and add this one:

Code: Select all

body {
    display: initial !important;
}
Good luck and let me know.
Will do, thanks!
Z
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
zhool

Post by zhool »

It took nearly two years, and a lot of help from Google, but I eventually figured out that a 'naive anti-clickjacking countermeasure' is probably a good thing :lol:. I still don't really trust the site, but I could no longer put off updating Firefox, so I decided to try to implement Signor Maone's suggestion, and it turned out to be really easy (I have no clue about web stuff), and since this topic has a fair amount of views I thought I'd add a walkthrough:

1. Get the Stylus addon for your browser.
2. Go to the site (you don't have to grant any permissions).
3. Click the Stylus addon button.
4. Under 'Write style for:' will be the site address, click it towards the left so only the top-level domain is selected (assuming you want the fix for the whole site, clicking towards the right will create a style for just the page you are on).
5. Stylus will open a blank code page, paste in the code Giorgio provided above.
6. Click 'Save' in the top-left.
7. Return to your page and refresh it, if necessary. Ta-dah! Profit. Don't ask me how, but it works.

Thanks again to Giorgio!
Z
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0