[RESOLVED] v10: blocked items count badge color changed.

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
fenix

[RESOLVED] v10: blocked items count badge color changed.

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Some days ago, NoScript has been updated to v10.1.9.9 version. Additionaly, Firefox v63.0, is out today with very amazing features - for example: Enhanced Tracking Protection (ETP). (It's designed to improve privacy and protect Users. across the Web, from being tracked etc.) But that's not the point.

However, there is one change for 'WebExtensions': they run in their own process on Linux. So, maybe there are more changes, which could change count badge color?

After mentioned update and Firefox restart, I've noticed that NoScript count badge color for blocked items changed. Now it's a black number on a red background (see image below). As We know, it was a white number on a red background. I have no idea what could have had an impact on this. NoScript last Development commits shows nothing about badge color [1].

What is the reason for such a sudden change? Thanks, best regards.

Re: NoScript v10: blocked items count badge color changed.

Post by fenix »

Hi.

I apologize for writing post by post, but there is some problem with NoScript Count Badge screenshot displaying. I have no idea what happen. When I've created this thread, and preview my post to check if everything os okay, then Count Badge image was displayed. Now, there is only an empty space (near then end; between last paragraph and question about a reason for such a change etc.)

Anyway, here is a direct link to the postimg.cc site (Count Badge image is on the upper left side; I hope that everyone could see this):

https://postimg.cc/hzXDn8HM/093d7ee9
https://i.postimg.cc/fLKJxB54/noscript-badger.png (direct link to the picture)

By the way: I've used "Thumbnail for forums" link (see above 1.st link), in my post and picture was there! I have no idea what can be a reason...

barbaz: I would like to beg You about something. If You can make it work - I mean put a little screenshot of the Count Badge in first post, I will be very happy :- )

NOTE: that's very strange. When I'm preview this post and scroll down to see first post, there is a small Count Badge image/screenshot! How it's possible? Here is a direct link gathered from "Show image option:

https://postimg.cc/hzXDn8HM

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

This is a Firefox change.

Quoting MDN -
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/browserAction/setBadgeBackgroundColor wrote:From Firefox 63, unless the badge text color is explicitly set using browserAction.setBadgeTextColor(), then the badge text color will be automatically set to black or white so as to maximize contrast with the specified badge background color. For example, if you set the badge background color to white, the default badge text color will be set to black, and vice versa.

Other browsers always use a white text color, so setting a dark background may be preferable to ensure the text is readable.
NoScript doesn't set the badge text color, and it sets the badge background color in only one place - https://github.com/hackademix/noscript/ ... rd.js#L113

fenix wrote: there is some problem with NoScript Count Badge screenshot displaying. I have no idea what happen. When I've created this thread, and preview my post to check if everything os okay, then Count Badge image was displayed. Now, there is only an empty space (near then end; between last paragraph and question about a reason for such a change etc.)
The image displays fine for me. Check your adblocker?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hi barbaz.

Thank You for an answer. Definitely, I should first check developer.mozilla.org docs site before asking a question here. Sorry. Anyway, if it's about image displaying, it seems that script blocking is the answer and/or allowing postimg.cc domain via uBlockOrigin also should work. (NoScript shows '…informaction.com domain only). But it's a testing computer so there is many possible solutions etc. Not important.

barbaz could You delete/remove my second post? I'm asking, because it's not needed, since Count Badger image display fine for You. Can You do that? (And please mark this thread as 'Solved', because I can not do this).

Thanks, best regards.
fenix

Post by fenix »

One more thing! (I apologize for writing post by post - I can't edit etc.)

So, it seems, that - for example - Privacy Badger or uBlock Origin authors set the badge text color via 'browserAction.setBadgeTextColor()', because I noticed (on my friend computer), that nothing changed in these two addons. I'm asking, because according to developer.mozilla.org docs statement - mentioned by You, barbaz - the badge text color will be changed to black or white if above API will be not used etc., right?

Thanks.
barbaz

Re: [RESOLVED] v10: blocked items count badge color changed.

Post by barbaz »

fenix wrote:So, it seems, that - for example - Privacy Badger or uBlock Origin authors set the badge text color via 'browserAction.setBadgeTextColor()', because I noticed (on my friend computer), that nothing changed in these two addons.
uBlock Origin doesn't use setBadgeTextColor. Probably Firefox just continued to use a white color for the text due to the dark badge background color.

I'm not familiar with Privacy Badger.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-