noscript 10 problems loading data and setting / reading cook

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
scripteze

noscript 10 problems loading data and setting / reading cook

Post by scripteze »

** [small edit - firefox ver., near end of post # 1]
NoScript 10.1.9.6 in Tor Browser 8 and / or Fx 60.1esr in Mint 18.1.
I think someone may have reported the problem of NS 10x in TBB not saving user adjusted settings on this forum a while back.
I still have the same issue. Except my mode settings aren't saved across sessions (not per site settings, which I think are deleted by design). And, I can't export NoScript 10 settings in TBB 8.0 Linux 64.

But I CAN export NS 10 settings in Firefox 60.1.
Are the exported settings files supposed to be .txt files - that's what it shows. The data looks like what's shown under NS settings > advanced> debug.

Code: Select all

{
  "policy": {
    "DEFAULT": {
      "capabilities": [
        "frame",
        "font",
        "media"
      ],
      "temp": false
    },
    "TRUSTED": {
      "capabilities": [
        "script",
If NS will import a .txt settings file, I could copy & save the debug contents, until someone fixes TBB not working correctly and not exporting the modes settings.

In the earlier TBB user's post here, Giorgio may have told them to contact Tor Project (not sure).
I'm sure he's busy, but I'd think that NS would be interested in why it may have a problem. It's not necessarily TorProject's bug, unless they agreed to troubleshoot / support all NS problems in TBB.

Since TBB 8 & NS 10, I can't play youtube videos, where I could using TBB 7.x with NS 5 - a few weeks ago.
It doesn't matter what I allow on youtube in NS. Before, in NS 5 - in TBB *OR* reg. Firefox, the only youtube scripts required were youtube.com, ytimg.com & googlevideo.com

It also won't export NS settings in TBB 8 for me, but works normally in Fx 60.1esr.
TBB - Clicking Export brings up the TBB standard "DOWNLOAD an external file" box, not the Save File box to enter a path or name the file.

If I click the Download button (just to see what happened), it may save the entire HTML page, but never shows the screen to select a location to save file. So there's no option to name the file or pick a path. Basically, Export Settings isn't working. That means manually re-tweaking the modes settings each TBB restart.
Could that be because TBB 8 >prefs >applications, content type - there's no Text or Plain Text entry under TBB's "how to handle file types." The TBB pref for saving files is "always ask."

BTW, which NS setting (e.g., object, other, etc) allows / blocks cookies, even though an exception for a site exists in Firefox?
In Firefox 60.1 esr & NS 10.1.9.6 if I can get a site to set cookies & login, I can't read the cookies in Prefs>Privacy - Manage Data. The cookie name is visible, but can't look at contents.
[Edit Sept 20] In Fx 52.9 & NS 5.1.8.7, setting cookies & viewing contents works. I think there's a problem w/ NS.

With NS 10 in TBB 8 - Linux, I can't even log in at trac.torproject to search for filed bugs or file some.

I read the NS 10 tutorials that were listed, but must've missed technical definitions of "other" or "object." Doesn't "fetch" involve pre-downloading certain files or data in advance of when it may be needed? If so, it may speed some pages loading, but possibly D/L some unwanted data?

There's more, but that's enough for now. :)
Last edited by scripteze on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
Giacomo

Re: noscript 10 problems loading data and setting / reading

Post by Giacomo »

Dear Noscript people,
I seccond strongly what the other user wrote about bugs in Tor Browser
Same behavior here with TB 8.0: Trying to export settings in hope that it would
create a file which I could edit and make some necessary settings permanent,
results in the same 'DOWNload an external file type'. End of the road.

It would be VERY kind if you work together with the tor browser people to
fix that. No matter who was responsible for it.

The situation at the moment is absolutely annoying.

BTW: I think you put a lot of work into NS10, but the user interface is just .....
No, I don't tell the word, don't want to put frustration on you.
Let's say it more friendly: my wife who is as helpless as I with that user
interface, asked me 'is it supposed to be a memory game for kids?'

Greetings and hope you will fix it.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
scripteze

Post by scripteze »

Thanks Giacomo.

NoScript Team: I did more research. Working w/ Firefox 60.1 esr, in a clean profile & Tor Browser 8.0, that creates its own profile.
Made sure NS 10.1.9.6 settings were the same for both browsers. Also confirmed all about:config pref involving cookies were same for both browsers & that none were missing.

I found Fx 60 w/ cookies blocked in Fx settings, but session cookie exceptions were stored for any sites I tested.
Indeed Fx 60 set cookies w/ pretty much all options checked in NS General mode. BUT, I still couldn't see them under Fx preferences.
For the same sites (one was //torproject.org) by R-clicking the same loaded site (in Fx 60) > Page Info, then Security tab , it DID show all cookies & their content.
Still not conclusive.

In TBB 8 w/ NS General mode wide open, some sites (that never need cookies just to browse) wouldn't load pages or play vids correctly. Plus the hidden cookies issue. Just disabling NS 10 in TBB 8 & restarting browser didn't fix either problem TBB. While NS was active in TBB 8, youtube refused to show vids, no matter what settings were checked for General mode & I marked the site(s) as Trusted and / or Trusted temp.
Next I uninstalled NS from TBB. I also disabled HTTPS Everywhere, but had to let Tor Button & Start Tor Browser stay active.
Bingo. Restarted TBB after uninstalling NS, now cookies were visible in Privacy Settings > Manage Data. Also visible in Page Info of sites. So sites now worked, though nothing was blocking any trackers or ads or anything else. :)

Same thing in Fx 60 after uninstalling NS & restarting. Cookies were then visible in Privacy > Manage Data. And pages no longer showed a banner, "Do you have cookies disabled?"
That's pretty conclusive to me that NS is preventing cookies from being set or from being visible to the sites and me. It appears NS was also preventing some pages from working, when all options under NS General mode are checked. There were no other kinds of blockers or addons, installed in the clean Fx 60 profile. No others to point fingers at.
Most sites I tested were the same sites that worked fine w/ TBB 7.5x & NS 5.xx a couple weeks ago and worked with most sites, with a minimum of script sources needing to be allowed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

I'm sorry for writing a message without any technical content etc., but I think, that there is a another/next reason to implement a description for options found in NoScript default presets (vide: "I read the NS 10 tutorials that were listed, but must've missed technical definitions of "other" or "object." (...)"; see scripteze first post).

More informations: https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=25149

Thanks, best regards.
scripteze

Post by scripteze »

Re: NS 10 settings. "Other" - "Unknown" (I've seen this a few places. Don't know if all were copied from one source, or all original).

I understand how everything might not be categorized or listed, but a whole pile of "Unknown?" Who that doesn't have a fair idea of what could be allowed under Unknown, wants to enable it blindly?

That's the opposite of what NS is all about. Knowing what you are / are not allowing. There has to be a better label for Unknown & some easily accessible descriptions for all the options.

Since no one had any suggestions for my issues, I'll re-download & install TBB v8 to a clean directory. See if that solves some issues.
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Thank You for an answer and opinion on this - I mean options descriptions. However, I've wrote this many times: descriptions for all options were only an examples and should be changed etc. (please see [1]). If it's about '<other>' option: it seems, that there should be something like this - instead of 'Unknown':

Code: Select all

Preset customization (for all the sites sharing a preset)
| Allow
|
| (S) Default     ( (S)TRUSTED )    (S)Untrusted
|-----------------------'                       '---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
| Allow
|
| [ ] other    Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options
|
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Above, we can see NoScript Options 'General' tab and there is a new idea for description. (I didn't wanted to add every option, because it's about '<other>' only). In my previous thread (please see [1]), '<other>' option is described as 'Unknown', right? So, I think that it could be changed to - for example - 'Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options' etc.

What do You think, scripteze? Is it a better description, more informative?

By the way: there is a new idea to change '<other>' option description. For this reason, I would ask barbaz to edit my previous thread (see [1]) and change description, in all posts where such a descriptions are, from 'Other' to 'Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options'. I'm asking, because I can't edit my posts etc. So, barbaz if You read this post, please make mentioned changes. Thank You barbaz!

Thanks, best regards.

Post by barbaz »

@fenix, kindly don't hijack threads to get attention for mostly-unrelated issues. The discussion of adding descriptions in NoScript Options belongs in https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=25149 , please continue there.

@scripteze, you might want to take a look at https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 552#p93552
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Okay, sorry about that @barbaz. I would like to apologies everyone for doing this. However, in my previous post, I've done this - an apologies (vide "I'm sorry for writing a message without any technical content") But, that's not important. :- ) And if it's about NoScript <options> descriptions thread, I will pursue right there, of course.

Thank You. Best regards.