[NoScript v10] Vertical layout of Presets options.

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
fenix

[NoScript v10] Vertical layout of Presets options.

Post by fenix »

Hello.

I have been wondering for a long time about NoScript Options window. Now, there is a lot of a gray space - I mean below 'General', 'Per-site Permissions', 'Appearance' and 'Advanced' tabs with options etc. Generally, this empty gray space, takes half of the screen. I know, that NoScript v10 version is still under development etc. However, I would like to suggest a small change but mostly ask for your opinions etc.

(NOTE: Because I can't make any screenshot, I will use '<code></code>' tags.) What do you think about changing the options position for the 'DEFAULT', 'TRUSTED' and 'UNTRUSTED' presets? Now, all options are horizontally, right? So, what about changing options position to vertical and add a short description?

Here is an example for a 'DEFAULT' preset. (I'm sorry, if it will be badly formatted). As we can see, this is the vertical type of options. I think it have two advantages, at least. 1/ it will take more gray space and NoScript 'Options' will not be so empty etc. 2/ and most important: inexperienced users will have a better understanding of what these options are responsible for.

Code: Select all

,----------------------.
|(S) Default      )   (S)TRUSTED  (S)Untrusted 
|                       '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Allow
| 
| [ ] script     Provides special properties and methods for execution of <script> elements
| [ ] object     HTML Objects (for manipulating the layout and presentation of <object> element)
| [ ] media     Needed to support basic media-related capabilities (audio and video)
| [ ] frame      Provides special properties and methods for manipulating frame elements
| [ ] font         Defines the font size, font face and color of text 
| [ ] webgl      WebGL elements
| [ ] fetch       Information about the fetch, the request and how the receiver will treat the response.
| [ ] other       Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Of course, these descriptions are laconic, but these are just examples and definitely should be changed, updated etc.

By the way: here is a vertical list of NoScript options, if the above '<code></code>' tags are formatted badly:

__((S) DEFAULT )______________________________________________________________________________
|
| Allow
|
| [ ] script.............Provides special properties and methods for execution of <script> elements
| [ ] object............HTML Objects (for manipulating the layout and presentation of <object> element)
| [ ] media...........Needed to support basic media-related capabilities (audio and video)
| [ ] frame............Provides special properties and methods for manipulating frame elements
| [ ] font...............Defines the font size, font face and color of text
| [ ] webgl............WebGL elements
| [ ] fetch..............Information about the fetch, the request and how the receiver will treat the response.
| [ ] other.............Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options
`_______________________________________________________________________________________________

So, what do you think? What is your opinion? Should such a change be implemented? In my opinion: yes. It could make NoScript more friendly. Especially for an inexperienced Users...

Thanks, best regards.
Last edited by barbaz on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: By request
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: [NoScript v10] Vertical layout of Presets options.

Post by therube »

(It's not like I'm one to have an opinion, but...)

I would think that would work for the General tab.

I'm all for explanation (as to what the various options mean).
As it is, I'm generally clueless to the mean of some of the settings.

And rather then a single column, might be helpful to have it laid out spreadsheet style.
That way one can see the differences between Default | Trusted | Untrusted & how the differences compare against one another.

Likewise some explanation of a greyed box, & a grayed box with a checkmark (Trusted -> Script).

Likewise again, Appearance & Advanced could also be in an "always displayed" state.
IOW, you gain nothing by having separate tabs for them, so just display all three items together, in their own blocks to differentiate, but viewable together.
Then the only other thing, separate, is a tab for Per-site Permissions.

That also has to be thought of in the context of new features (old features eventually migrated to 10, or entirely new).
And in that regard, while there might be excess "space", in the future, there could be more reason to maintain current tab structure.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Thanks for an answer, therube. What I've described in my post was exactly about NoScript 'General' tab. That is the place where Users can configure options for all presets and I think that the best position is vertical with short description (see my post and two examples: '<code></code>' and normal).

Descriptions for all options was only an example. I just wanted to show what I mean etc. And It should be definitely updated/changed.

So, what do You think: it's a good idea to change options position to vertical and add a short descriptions?

Thanks, best regards.
fenix

Post by fenix »

I'm sorry for writing post by post but I can't edit etc. So, my examples in first post shows options vertical position for 'DEFAULT' preset. When User click 'TRUSTED' preset tab, there will be the same vertical position with description. I think, that the default layout (three tabs for 'DEFAULT', 'TRUSTED' and 'UNTRUSTED') should be as it is now. Just change position to vertical and add short descriptions.

Here is an example but for 'TRUSTED' preset. (it's exactly the moment when User click 'TRUSTED' preset tab in NoScript Options).

Preset customization (for all the sites sharing a preset)

| (S) Default     ( (S)TRUSTED )    (S)Untrusted
|-----------------------'                       '---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
| Allow
|
| [ ] script     Provides special properties and methods for execution of <script> elements
| [ ] object     HTML Objects (for manipulating the layout and presentation of <object> element)
| [ ] media     Needed to support basic media-related capabilities (audio and video)
| [ ] frame      Provides special properties and methods for manipulating frame elements
| [ ] font         Defines the font size, font face and color of text
| [ ] webgl      WebGL elements
| [ ] fetch       Information about the fetch, the request and how the receiver will treat the response.
| [ ] other       Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Example in my first post was about 'TRUSTED' preset etc. So, I think that it should looks this way.

Best regards.
Last edited by barbaz on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: By request
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure all the example descriptions are totally clear. Maybe look at these wordings? - https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 552#p93552
(And with this vertical layout you're suggesting, the links could be included if necessary. I guess that's one possible advantage over putting the descriptions in tooltips.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Thank You for an answer, barbaz. I've written, that descriptions are only examples and should be changed. I think, that there should be a short description of what options really do and why they are needed etc., and it could be written in this way (below are two examples from my previous posts):

media........Needed to support basic media-related capabilities (audio and video)
font............Defines the font size, font face and color of text

I think, that above descriptions are okay, because User know exactly what those options do and for what they are responsible for. For example: if User want to watch video on some website, he read descriptions and mark <media> option etc. But that's only my opinion.

Thanks, best regards.
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

I'm sorry for writing post by post, but I have another idea of using descriptions. Maybe, instead of using a vertical position, there can be a small window with description? I mean: User click - for example - '<media>' option and a small popup window with short description will appear. Something like:

| Allow
|
| (S) DEFAULT  ( (S)TRUSTED )    (S)UNTRUSTED
|-----------------------'                       '---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
|
| [  ] script  [  ] object  [✓] media  [  ] frame [  ] font [  ] webgl [  ] fetch [  ] other 
|                         ,--------------^-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.  
|                         | Needed to support basic media-related capabilities (audio and video)    |      
|                         `---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
|
|
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Above is an example for a 'TRUSTED' preset and '<media>' option. Here is another one, but for a '<script>' option:

| Allow
|
| (S) DEFAULT  ( (S)TRUSTED )    (S)UNTRUSTED
|-----------------------'                       '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
|
| [✓] script  [  ] object  [  ] media  [  ] frame [  ] font [  ] webgl [  ] fetch [  ] other 
|  ,-----^---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.    
|  | Provides special properties and methods for execution of <script> elements.                 |
|  |                                                                                                                                         |
|  | INFO: It's not recommended to use <script> option by default (via 'DEFAULT' preset).  |      
|  | It's better to use <script> for a trusted websites (via 'TRUSTED', 'CUSTOM' presets or  |
|  | 'Temp-TRUSTED' option) only.                                                                                          |
|   `----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'                
|
|
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
To see/read description, User will have to click an option name not just check! The Reason: when User will use more than one option, there will be a mess with these small windows with descriptions etc. That's the reason why options should have '<script>' when User hover a mouse cursor over them and so on.

I can not make a screenshots so it looks terrible. Sorry. However, these small popup windows with descriptions (shows when User will click option name or even hover a mouse cursor without clicking?) could have a dark-gray or a black background with white font color etc.

So, there are two ideas: 1/ use a vertical position with short description (see my first posts) and 2/ add a popup windows with short descriptions (see above).

Thanks, best regards.
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

At the moment the tooltips are just the texts of what they should explain. I think it's better to use the tooltips in a better way than blowing up the options page. I am sure that the options page won't stay that empty, it will certainly be filled with options for all the cool security features Giorgio will implement for one of the best browser extensions of the known universe.

And please let the descriptions be precise and correct. The option "font", for example, blocks web fonts. Apart from that, it's not really about the font size, font face and color of text. You do not need web fonts for that and blocking web fonts doesn't mean that the font size, font face and color of text cannot be specified anymore.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Thank You for an answer and opinion, musonius. I repeat once again: descriptions from above posts are only examples to show how it could looks like. Nothing more, nothing less. I wrote many times, that they should be changed etc. (vide "Of course, these descriptions are laconic, but these are just examples and definitely should be changed, updated etc"). Please read posts more closely.

Thanks, best regards.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Edited above posts by request in https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 740#p98740 . @fenix, does it look good to you?
-
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Yes @barbaz, it looks very good, simply amazing. Thank You very much for working on this :- ) Anyway, according to your suggestion about "don't hijack threads to get attention for mostly-unrelated issues", I would like to make a short update about changing description for '<other>' option, from 'Unknown' to 'Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options'.

I think, that previous description was not very adequate and may cause Users confusion etc. (And, in fact, scripteze expressed and articulated his view with some dismay. Please check "noscript 10 problems loading data and setting / reading cook thread (post #5 was written on Fri. Sep. 21, 2018 4:23 pm).

So, here is an updated description for '<other>' option:

[ ] other.......... Unknown
[ ] other.......... Provide resources that are not covered by any other available options

→ NOTE: I can't paste a direct link to a mentioned thread, because of 'antispam filter' information and so on. Sorry!

edit by barbaz
The link is https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 729#p98729
/edit

Thanks, best regards.
Last edited by barbaz on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add link
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome (and I was able to add the link in your post)
-
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Thank You, @barbaz. That's awesome and I am surprised, pleased - it was amazing. There is also one other subject which I would like to bring up in this context: I didn't expected that You will do it :- )

Thanks, best regards.