New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
onigami
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm

New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Post by onigami » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:09 am

So, Gmail updated its UI in the last week or so. While accessing my email, Gmail does something funky now, in that the top of the page now has this message saying "Javascript must be enabled, etc. etc." as though to indicate that JS is disabled, with the rest of the page below it. Except JS isn't/shouldn't be disabled. NoScript is showing an icon saying the site is blocked, but opening it up, it says both the sites it's getting scripts from are trusted, so it shouldn't be popping up like this.

Here's a screenshot of the top of the page (right click to view full image, I tried linking it but I got hit with an anti-spam block):
Image

What gives? Something strange is going on...

(Note that while ABP is enabled in that screenshot, I get the same effect when it's disabled)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

barbaz
Senior Member
Posts: 9718
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Post by barbaz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:13 am

What version of NoScript?
How have you determined that NoScript is what's disabling JS?

BTW, your screenshot looks like you have both Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin. Installing/using multiple adblock type extensions concurrently is known to be problematic. Best pick only one of them to keep, transferring filters if necessary.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

GunSmoke

Re: New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Post by GunSmoke » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Try clearing "XSS choices".
I'm on NoScript V. 10.1.8.23 and that worked for me. :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

User avatar
therube
Ambassador
Posts: 7681
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:17 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Re: New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Post by therube » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:04 pm

I'll note the sites are in red, if that matters.

Do you have an antivirus that may be interfering?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.4

User avatar
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin
Posts: 8971
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 pm
Location: Palermo - Italy
Contact:

Re: New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Post by Giorgio Maone » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Please check latest development build, thanks:
v 10.1.8.9rc1
=============================================================
+ Completely revamped CSP backend, enforcing policies both in
webRequest and in the DOM
- removed obsoleted failsafes, including forced reloads
x [Build] Better support for versions bumps
x Updated TLDs
x [Build] Improved TLD auto-updater
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

aberrometer
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Post by aberrometer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:32 pm

For what it's worth, I had the same problem, and updating to the development version fixed it.

But of course I forgot to check what version I had before updating, so can't help you with that...
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

billdehaan

Re: New Gmail update causes mysterious snag...?

Post by billdehaan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Giorgio Maone wrote:Please check latest development build, thanks:
v 10.1.8.9rc1
Just to chip in, I've experienced the exact same problem with 1.8.23 (the most recent version from the Firefox addons site) since Saturday. I traced it down to NoScript being the extension that triggered it, and came here looking for answers. I just updated to 1.8.9rc1 as per the above, and the problem appears to have been resolved. Many thanks.

Of course, looking at the Firefox site, I now see that the formal 1.8.9 has been released, as of two hours ago as I write this, and I can confirm that it also addresses the issue.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

Post Reply