[RESOLVED] Media issue at youtube, fixed by reloading page

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
bo elam

[RESOLVED] Media issue at youtube, fixed by reloading page

Post by bo elam »

The issue I am experiencing occurs at random, sometimes I am getting the NoScript message telling that Media is required when I click to play a video at youtube.com. The thing is that I already allow Media in my Custom rules for youtube.com. I also tested switching youtube.com to Trusted and still get the message. I first noticed the issue after updating to version 10.1.8.17rc3. It has continued to occur with every new beta released afterward. To get rid of the NoScript message blocking the video from playing, I reload the page. Other than what I am describing here, everything else I do with Firefox related to NoScript, works great.

I am using Firefox 61.0.2 32 bits in Windows 10 1803 64 bits. Giorgio, I send you a mail just now at maone.com with a text file with lines from the Browser console related to youtube.

Is anyone else experiencing something like this at youtube.com?

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
Quest

Re: Media issue at youtube, fixed by reloading page

Post by Quest »

To me this happens always when I open Firefox and then youtube video first time.
I have everything custom -allowed that Google demands.
This is hard to test because after what ever I do everything works.
Seems like some kind of XXS warning pops up demanding to allow youtube/watch media.
This of couse helps because evey thing else helps too but not permanently.

I have win 32 too and Ns rc 21.1.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello. I've had a similar issue. More informations can be found here: https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=25056

Best regards.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Quest wrote:To me this happens always when I open Firefox and then youtube video first time.
I have everything custom -allowed that Google demands.
Hi Quest, thanks for confirming.

Bo
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

fenix wrote:Hello. I've had a similar issue. More informations can be found here: https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=25056

Best regards.
Hi Fenix, what you described was a change. I remember, a few weeks ago we started having to allow Media for youtube. But all was well after allowing media in your Custom rules. I wouldn't get another NoScript screen blocking videos from playing or had to reload the page for the video to play. But now, even though Media is allowed, the NoScript screen telling to allow media still appears sometimes. Its usually the first time you try to play a Youtube video, and after reloading the video once, usually the rest of videos will play well during that browsing session. The problem will appear again until you open a new browsing session, it might happen the next one or during a later one.

Bo
Quest

Post by Quest »

Those are exactly the symptoms I get.
But now I think this is not exactly only NS problem: if I put media allowed on default preset settings then Youtube seems to work.
So there must be some new site(s) that needs the media allowed (new Google trick?). But I can't find out which.
Curious thing still is why there are not more users than us that encounter this and why the videos work after reloading (or what ever else you do).
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Yes, Bo elam you're right. Message about allowing '<media>' on YouTube is showing sometimes during first attempt etc. However, in my case, reloading - for example via 'Ctrl+R' - fixes such issues.

Thanks, best regards.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

FWIW, I haven't experienced this issue since updating to 10.1.9rc6 48 hours ago, perhaps the issue has been silently fixed. I am going to update to 10.1.9.1rc1 right this moment, hopefully the glitch dont come back. Giorgio, I ll post later and tell what I see. :)

Edit: I switched back to 10.1.9rc6 as I experienced the issue with 10.1.9.1rc1.

Bo
Quest

Post by Quest »

Yes, it's still there but who cares because you can fix it with F5.
So barbaz can rename this thread as [FIXED] especially because it seems that nothing else can be done.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Quest wrote:Yes, it's still there but who cares because you can fix it with F5.
So barbaz can rename this thread as [FIXED] especially because it seems that nothing else can be done.
Hmm, doesn't sound convincing. Since bo elam reported that the fix has regressed, I would be inclined to leave it.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Quest

Post by Quest »

Well, I wasn't dead serious, this is a bit annoying but I can live with it.
I have not noticed it were fixed but these rc:s were coming so quickly that I've sure not got all of them or used Youtube with them.
I understand that bumping up this issue is like beating a rotten horse so let it be.
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

I had not started my W7 since I first experienced the Media screen glitch at Youtube. So, today I started it and was able to reproduce what I reported seeing in my W10. At first, I updated NoScript to version 10.1.9.1rc1. It took a while but I did get to see the screen. Look at the picture below. The Custom preset is open to show what my settings for Trusted look like. In my W10, the Trusted preset is more restricted as I don't tick Other.

https://i.imgur.com/ExmifLc.jpg
Quest wrote: I understand that bumping up this issue is like beating a rotten horse so let it be.
Hi Quest. I dont know about you, but my reason for installing and testing NoScript betas is for helping Giorgio make NoScript better. We help by reporting what we see working not as it should. I only beta test for NoScript (started with V10) and Sandboxie. For SBIE I been doing it since 2009. And wouldnt do it for any other software. Personally, like I said before, this thing is really a non issue for me as one single reload fixes it. But having to reload is not the way its supposed to be. I have been using NoScript since early 2009, never had to do that for Youtube. In earlier versions of NoScript 10, I found something similar at CBS Sports with sporadically having to reload and didnt reported it. Probably I should have done it. :)

Bo
Quest

Post by Quest »

So lets keep on beatin'.
I found something similar at CBS Sports with sporadically having to reload and didnt reported it.
I've seen this at Yahoo news too. I wonder from where this NS-popup comes from, because I have not seen similar anywhere else.
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

Today, I've experienced <MEDIA> reporting on 'youtube.com' website (first attempt to load a movie etc) [1]. As always, tab reloading via '(CTRL+R)' helped. I'm seeing this issue since 2, 3 (maybe longer) NoScript releases. Now, it's v10.1.9.1 version.

Thanks, best regards.

Post by bo elam »

Giorgio, after updating to version 10.1.9.2rc1 the problem at Youtube remains but is displayed differently. With this version I am not seeing the NoSript Media screen but I see a blank page when (sometimes) I click on a video. Apparently, when the issue occurs, googlevideo.com is not loading when clicking to play the video. As before, the issue doesn't happen every time and reloading the page fixes the problem. Please look, this is what I am seeing.

https://imgur.com/a/S84mmu5

Bo