[FIXED] NoScript causing need to refresh pages in Firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript causing need to refresh pages in Firefox

Post by Giorgio Maone »

anonuser wrote:I have only Adblock Plus with EasyList, Feedbro & NoScript as my extensions. Disabling NoScript solves the issue so I don't think it's the other two
Just to clarify: we're not saying it's another extension, or that the problem doesn't exist, just because we didn't manage to reproduce it.
But since it seems very configuration-dependent, it's very likely caused by the interaction between NoScript and another extension (AdBlock Plus and uBlock, for instance, use the same API) and it might even depend on the order which the add-ons are installed!
Therefore it's crucial to collect as much configuration data as possible from those who actually can reproduce the problem, and to know if they can reproduce it on a clean profile with just NoScript installed (which would mean some external software, like a proxy or a firewall, is involved).
Ideally, if someone who can reproduce could zip and send the affected profile (as found in about:profiles), including the extensions and scrubbed from personal data (logins.json, places.*, cookies.*, formhistory.*) that would be really helpful.

BTW, many thanks to GuyX who sent his NoScript Options>Export file. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to reproduce yet :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

therube wrote:Re: antivirus Ashjuk said, "I'm using Kaspersky but the browser extension is not active."

Otherwise, Adblock Plus (& NoScript & Win10) might be a commonality here.

But then he did test in a new Profile - with only NoScript, & still had the problem.
Yes. I have just created a brand new profile and the only add-on I have installed is NoScript. With NoScript enabled Gmail took two attempts to get to my inbox, Facebook is a blank page with just the top header and the images in Drivetribe never load. If I disable NoScript then everything works normally.

Hopefully the image links work so you can see what I get.
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

Therefore it's crucial to collect as much configuration data as possible from those who actually can reproduce the problem, and to know if they can reproduce it on a clean profile with just NoScript installed (which would mean some external software, like a proxy or a firewall, is involved).
Ideally, if someone who can reproduce could zip and send the affected profile (as found in about:profiles), including the extensions and scrubbed from personal data (logins.json, places.*, cookies.*, formhistory.*) that would be really helpful.
I have created a rar file of my profile minus the personal data - I have just emailed it to you.

Sorry didn't work - Gmail blocked it for security reasons.

Update:
Giorgio, I have shared a Dropbox folder with you that contains the profile.
Last edited by Ashjuk on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> I have created a rar file

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en.
Maybe password protect the file?
Can rar obfuscate the filenames as well as password protect?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

therube wrote:> I have created a rar file

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en.
Maybe password protect the file?
Can rar obfuscate the filenames as well as password protect?
I said it was something about blocking executables that could be harmful. Anyway I have shared it on Dropbox now.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Ashjuk wrote: I said it was something about blocking executables that could be harmful. Anyway I have shared it on Dropbox now.
Did you email or PM me the link? I cannot find it. Thank you!
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Ashjuk wrote: I said it was something about blocking executables that could be harmful. Anyway I have shared it on Dropbox now.
Did you email or PM me the link? I cannot find it. Thank you!
Dropbox should have emailed you the link when I shared the folder with you.

I will pm you the direct link.
JacobS

Post by JacobS »

Hi Giorgio,

Just to confirm a few things reported by other users:
1. A clean profile does not fix the problem.
2. It hasn't got to do with firewall, proxy etc. I have been on several locations, which all make noscript behave the same.

I just saw something curious a minute ago. When going back a page, noscript kept the site, I just came from, on the noscript "site list" together with the sites on the old page, I went back to.
I don't know, if this somehow gives a hint on what is happening?

It seems as if the error occurs, when jumping to new web pages. Noscript keeping some of the site infomation of the old page and using it on the new page mixing things.

Regards,
Jacob
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Many thanks to Ashjuk, who sent his whole (sanitized) profile.
Unfortunately so far I couldn't reproduce on it either, which leaves me extremely puzzled...
Nevertheless, that profile had NoScript 10.1.8.16 installed, instead of latest development build (10.1.8.7rc2 currently).
PLEASE EVERYBODY, before posting the results of your tests for any issue, please double check you're using latest development build, which could already contain a fix or at least a mitigation.
This way we can track progress and be sure we're on the same page.
@Jacobs: do your observation apply to 10.1.8.6 only or had you already upgraded to 10.1.8.7rc2?
Thank you all!
GuyX

Post by GuyX »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Many thanks to Ashjuk, who sent his whole (sanitized) profile.
Unfortunately so far I couldn't reproduce on it either, which leaves me extremely puzzled...
Nevertheless, that profile had NoScript 10.1.8.16 installed, instead of latest development build (10.1.8.7rc2 currently).
PLEASE EVERYBODY, before posting the results of your tests for any issue, please double check you're using latest development build, which could already contain a fix or at least a mitigation.
@Jacobs: do your observation apply to 10.1.8.6 only or had you already upgraded to 10.1.8.7rc2?
Thank you all!
I upgraded to .7rc2 and it still didn't work. I believe the export file I emailed you was that version.
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Many thanks to Ashjuk, who sent his whole (sanitized) profile.
Thank you all!
Version 10.1.8.16 is the version that is currently available from the Firefox add-ons site. I have previously tried 10.1.8.17rc1 on a prior occasion and it made no difference, but I will update this clean profile to see if it makes any difference.
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

I have updated this profile to 10.1.8.17rc2, and there has been a little improvement, but I still need to refresh pages to get them to complete the loading.

The biggest issue it appears is with images, the text and layout load normally but often not images. I just went to iCloud and whilst everything seemed to be fine it took a couple of refreshes before my profile picture appeared in the top right corner. Again Drivetribe took a refresh before the images loaded.

But the biggest issue is still with Gmail - it took about six refreshes before I finally reached my inbox.

So whilst it is a little better than before it's still not cured for me.

Sorry for the above being posted as guest - I had not spotted that I had been logged out.
Last edited by barbaz on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the mentioned Guest post since this one has the same content.
JacobS

Post by JacobS »

Hi Giorgio.

My observation is on 10.1.8.6. I will try 7rc later this week.

Regards,
Jacob
anonuser

Post by anonuser »

I'd also like to report that "Quantum" NoScript 10.1.8.17rc2 development build is completely broken for me, after removing noscript and reinstalling 17rc2 from scratch. It shows no icon for noscript and no options, when you click the blank area where the icon should be.

Only way to solve it is to install NoScript 10.1.8.16 and then 17rc2 after.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

anonuser wrote:I'd also like to report that "Quantum" NoScript 10.1.8.17rc2 development build is completely broken for me, after removing noscript and reinstalling 17rc2 from scratch. It shows no icon for noscript and no options, when you click the blank area where the icon should be.

Only way to solve it is to install NoScript 10.1.8.16 and then 17rc2 after.
@anonuser Unless you have reason to believe this is the same problem as is causing the need to refresh pages, please start a new thread for this problem, thanks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-