[FIXED] NoScript causing need to refresh pages in Firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Ashjuk

Re: NoScript causing need to refresh pages in Firefox

Post by Ashjuk »

therube wrote:
the first add-on I installed was NoScript
Was it the only extension you added when you tested in the new Profile?

What antivirus are you using?
Yes it was the only one. I'm using Kaspersky but the browser extension is not active.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

skriptimaahinen wrote:Well, moving to "ScriptSafe" is not going to get the problem fixed. What we need is to find reproducible case (gmail and drivetribe work just fine for me too) or what change caused the problem. Can you test what is the last good NoScript version/rc that works for you?
Yes I realise that but constantly having to refresh the page to get it to load properly is becoming a bit tiresome.

As for what was the last version that worked, I'm sorry I can't tell you. I have it set to update automatically and not be notified so it all happens in the background. All I can say is that it was on version 10.1.8.16 when these problems first started.

Something must have happened but what I've no idea. Firefox is the same version as it was, as is Kaspersky.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Ashjuk wrote:As for what was the last version that worked,
You can figure this out by installing old rc versions until you find the last bad rc and first good rc. (Maybe best to temporarily disable automatic updates of NoScript while doing this, so that updates won't confuse the results: Tools > Add-ons Manager > NoScript > More > Automatic Updates: Off)

Old NoScript @
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/noscript/versions
*or*
https://noscript.net/feed?c=100&t=a
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

barbaz wrote:
Ashjuk wrote:As for what was the last version that worked,
You can figure this out by installing old rc versions until you find the last bad rc and first good rc. (Maybe best to temporarily disable automatic updates of NoScript while doing this, so that updates won't confuse the results: Tools > Add-ons Manager > NoScript > More > Automatic Updates: Off)

Old NoScript @
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/noscript/versions
*or*
https://noscript.net/feed?c=100&t=a
I tried going back but it just made things worse. I went back to 10.1.8.10 and pages won't even load now - they just sit there with the blue dot going back and forth.

Sorry but I have given up and have switched to using ScriptSafe which, so far, is working perfectly. I don't really want to go through the hassle of creating yet another new profile and, with the one I'm using now NoScript seems to be broken whatever I try.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Ashjuk wrote:I tried going back but it just made things worse. I went back to 10.1.8.10 and pages won't even load now - they just sit there with the blue dot going back and forth.
Thanks for testing and reporting back.
Ashjuk wrote:Sorry but I have given up and have switched to using ScriptSafe which, so far, is working perfectly. I don't really want to go through the hassle of creating yet another new profile and, with the one I'm using now NoScript seems to be broken whatever I try.
ok. Bye.
-

Post by Guest »

skriptimaahinen wrote:Well, moving to "ScriptSafe" is not going to get the problem fixed. What we need is to find reproducible case (gmail and drivetribe work just fine for me too) or what change caused the problem. Can you test what is the last good NoScript version/rc that works for you?
Well it will, because the problem is actually not being able to browse, rather than not being able to use NoScript. No offense intended to Giorgio, but it is just an add-on.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote:Well it will, because the problem is actually not being able to browse, rather than not being able to use NoScript. No offense intended to Giorgio, but it is just an add-on.
Guest, there is a difference between getting your own browser working vs. identifying and resolving a problem with NoScript. Switching to ScriptSafe might be a solution for you, but it won't fix NoScript.

And this thread is about troubleshooting the NoScript issue. Let's keep this thread on topic, thanks.
-
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

Ashjuk wrote:I clicked on Gmail and after the Loading Gmail page all I get is a blue page with a number of links down the left-hand side - I had to refresh the page three times before I finally reached my inbox.
I experienced something like that, but not with Gmail and I needed to reload only twice. Is your filter list very long? When I had this kind of problems, I tested NoScript with a long list of sites set to UNTRUSTED by importing Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list. This is not the way I am using NoScript now, but at least on my machine NoScript causes some problems in terms of speed and incomplete page loadings when long block lists are used.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
skriptimaahinen
Master Bug Buster

Post by skriptimaahinen »

Ashjuk wrote:Sorry but I have given up and have switched to using ScriptSafe which, so far, is working perfectly. I don't really want to go through the hassle of creating yet another new profile and, with the one I'm using now NoScript seems to be broken whatever I try.
I was hoping for bit more enthusiasm to get this fixed. You should not need to create any more profiles for testing. The one you have should be enough, provided that it is still in its default state. And it doesn't really matter if you want to run ScriptSafe on your main profile in the meanwhile.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Just shooting in the dark, since as I said I couldn't reproduce yet: someone mentioned antivirus products, which sometimes come with some kind of local proxies. Have you got one of them? Does disabling the proxy make any difference?
JacobS

Post by JacobS »

Hi Giorgio.

I have always been a fan of Noscript (thank you for this nice add on)
I experience the same problems as reported by others.
Pages only load partialy or not at all. Refreshing the pages X times get the pages loaded.
Using Firefox in safemode works fine and Firefox also works fine, when disabling NoScript.
Disabling antivirus and firewall has no effect (using Zonealarm).
The problem have been introduced recently (I guess with version 10.1.8.16).
I hope, that you can figure out, what is causing this.
Please let me know, if there is something I can do to help debugging.

Kind regards,
Jacob
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

skriptimaahinen wrote:
I was hoping for bit more enthusiasm to get this fixed. You should not need to create any more profiles for testing. The one you have should be enough, provided that it is still in its default state. And it doesn't really matter if you want to run ScriptSafe on your main profile in the meanwhile.
I sorry if I sound a bit negative but all I want to do is browse the Internet - something that I was able to do fine using NoScript up until about 10 days ago. But having to constantly having to reload pages to get them to work is tiresome to say the least.

If it were just me that was experiencing this problem I would agree it's something to do with my set-up, but the problem - whatever it is - is also affecting a lot of others. There are a number here on this thread, and there are probably countless others out there who have just accepted the situation or given up on NoScript.

Just because Giorgio, and others, cannot replicate the problem does not mean the problem is not with NoSCript - all it probably means is that you have numerous profiles for testing these things and that is not how the average user works. Personally I normally only have the default profile, and only created a new one when the problem first started. Unfortunately that profile - due to having installed so many versions as a test - is now completely screwed as far as NoScript is concerned, with it enabled pages never load.

I have been a user of NoScript for years, and I have always been extremely happy with it, and I would much prefer to use it rather than ScriptSafe, but only if it works for me. So in the spirit of fairness I will create a new profile and start again.
skriptimaahinen
Master Bug Buster

Post by skriptimaahinen »

OK, just to be clear, when we ask to create a new profile for testing, that does not mean that one should delete their old one. In fact it's advised to make backups of everything you hold dear (bookmarks etc.) before doing so, so that afterwards you can safely delete the testing profile and go back to your old main profile (provided it doesn't turn out that it was the culprit).

Btw, does the problem persist if you disable XSS protection? (NoScript Settings > Advanced > Sanitize cross-site suspicious requests)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
anonuser

Post by anonuser »

Issue is still present in 10.1.8.17rc1 but difficult to reproduce, it seems to happen randomly at different times. For me it happens less under 16/17rc1 then the regular stable build.

I have only Adblock Plus with EasyList, Feedbro & NoScript as my extensions. Disabling NoScript solves the issue so I don't think it's the other two, I ran it disabled for a full day and didn't encounter anything. With NoScript 1-2 hours of browsing and I hit the issue.

For example I just logged out of gmail and the language selection went all wonky, also some of the css styling is missing.

In fact most of the time CSS seems to get messed up and requires a reload to work. It feels like some caching issue? I originally thought it was DNS caching issue, so I switched from cloudfare (1.1.1.1) to google (8.8.4.4) but that didn't solve anything and other browsers dont have this problem.

Did anything change in Firefox 60-61, that may have triggered something?

Only antivirus I have is the default Windows 10 Defender stuff, which typically doesn't interact with browsing for me.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Re: antivirus Ashjuk said, "I'm using Kaspersky but the browser extension is not active."

Otherwise, Adblock Plus (& NoScript & Win10) might be a commonality here.

But then he did test in a new Profile - with only NoScript, & still had the problem.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5