[FIXED] NoScript causing need to refresh pages in Firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript causing need to refresh pages in Firefox

Post by Giorgio Maone »

musonius wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:I cannot find that in your commit history. Do I overlook anything?
This.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

Giorgio Maone wrote:This.
Thanks! I am wondering why this and other of the latest commits were not visible to me when I wrote my comment.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

A couple of days ago, after NoScript update to v10.1.8.9 version (or later), I've noticed a problem after every Firefox first start. There should be a 'duckduckgo' website displayed -- as the home page but after about 10. seconds, there was a white tab only. (I'm still referring to the first Firefox start). So, nothing was displayed. Clicking NoScript icon, provided such information:

Code: Select all

In order to operate on this tab, NoScript needs to reload it. Proceed?

[               OK              ]           [              Cancel              ]
There was something strange also: when I've tried to type - for example - 'youtube.com' in the browser's address bar (also known as the Awesome Bar) and press [Enter], 'youtube.com' automatically changed to the 'duckduckgo' address! Without any reaction from my side! That's strange. As a solution, I've had to open a new tab and type example address etc.

Anyway, it had happened on my testing computer so I haven't updated and tested new NoScript release yet. I remember only, that it started to happen after one of the update. I hope, that everything is okay now.

Sorry, for such a unworthy message... Best regards.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
anonuser

Post by anonuser »

Issue is still present in 10.1.8.16rc1 but hard to reproduce consistently.

For example I just saw it happen on https://store.steampowered.com after an hour of browsing reddit, youtube, google search without issue. The page appeared partially loaded and broken, until refreshed and then it seemed to be fine.
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

I can confirm that the issue is still in existence with 10.1.8.16. I am running Firefox 61.0.1 (64 bit) on Windows 10.

My biggest issue is with Gmail, I have to click the reload button numerous times to get the page to load properly. I also experience this on other sites where I have to use the reload button, but not so often.

Hopefully the developers will notice this and work on a solution.
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

True, this issue is still there (NoScript v10.1.8.16 version). I've noticed, that it often happens on websites with a .PDF files -- nothing is displayed and there is only a spinning wheel, a load status symbol etc. on each page. Reloading tab via F5 button doesn't help.

Best regards.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Ashjuk wrote:I can confirm that the issue is still in existence with 10.1.8.16. I am running Firefox 61.0.1 (64 bit) on Windows 10.

My biggest issue is with Gmail, I have to click the reload button numerous times to get the page to load properly. I also experience this on other sites where I have to use the reload button, but not so often.
It might be an extensions conflict. Does it happen also with no other extension installed except NoScript?

@fenix: have you got any URL to a page linking such a PDF where the issue is consistently reproducible? Did you try with no other extensions?

Everybody: could you please check whether the problem persists in latest development build 10.1.8.17rc1?
Thanks.
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Ashjuk wrote:I can confirm that the issue is still in existence with 10.1.8.16. I am running Firefox 61.0.1 (64 bit) on Windows 10.

It might be an extensions conflict. Does it happen also with no other extension installed except NoScript?

@fenix: have you got any URL to a page linking such a PDF where the issue is consistently reproducible? Did you try with no other extensions?

Everybody: could you please check whether the problem persists in latest development build 10.1.8.17rc1?
Thanks.
I don't think it's an extension conflict as I created a new profile and the first one I added was NoScript, and the issue was still there with Gmail. I have very few extensions anyway - NoScript, Adblock+ and Bitwarden.

I will update to the latest build and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks.
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

I have just updated to 10.1.8.17rc1 and the issue is still there.

I clicked on Gmail and after the Loading Gmail page all I get is a blue page with a number of links down the left-hand side - I had to refresh the page three times before I finally reached my inbox.

I then tried another site - https://drivetribe.com/ - and that took a number of attempts before the images loaded. I hate to say this but it might actually be worse than 10.1.8.16 as I don't ever recall having a problem with Drivetribe before.
GuyX

Post by GuyX »

Also have this problem and updating to 10.1.1.17rcl didn't change anything. It's at the point where it's almost unuseable unfortunately. Had to reload gmail 8 times before getting into my mailbox.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

GuyX wrote:Also have this problem and updating to 10.1.1.17rcl didn't change anything. It's at the point where it's almost unuseable unfortunately. Had to reload gmail 8 times before getting into my mailbox.
Sorry, I cannot reproduce at all: I've got constantly two GMail pinned tabs opened on two different GMail accounts, with no problem whatsoever, either on session restore or normal reloading or initial loading.
Could you please try on a clean profile with default NoScript settings and sending me your NoScript Options>Export file? Thanks.
GuyX

Post by GuyX »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
GuyX wrote:Also have this problem and updating to 10.1.1.17rcl didn't change anything. It's at the point where it's almost unuseable unfortunately. Had to reload gmail 8 times before getting into my mailbox.
Sorry, I cannot reproduce at all: I've got constantly two GMail pinned tabs opened on two different GMail accounts, with no problem whatsoever, either on session restore or normal reloading or initial loading.
Could you please try on a clean profile with default NoScript settings and sending me your NoScript Options>Export file? Thanks.
It's not only with gmail, I have this problem with nearly every site. It's been going on for the last couple of weeks now and iirc it's happened before, but generally stopped after a while so I just ignored it. I've emailed you the file. Hope it helps.
Ashjuk

Post by Ashjuk »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Sorry, I cannot reproduce at all: I've got constantly two GMail pinned tabs opened on two different GMail accounts, with no problem whatsoever, either on session restore or normal reloading or initial loading.
Whilst I sympathise with you trying to track down this bug you have to admit that there is a problem. It's obviously affecting more than just one person, and it seems odd that the site most of us are having problems with is Gmail. But it also affects other site too as I pointed out yesterday the images on DriveTribe are reluctant to appear without a number of refreshes. You also have to agree that probably the only thing we all have in common regarding our set-ups is that we all use NoScript.

As I said before, when I created a new profile the first add-on I installed was NoScript and as soon as I had done that the problem of page loading started. Also if I disable NoScript the problem goes away. As GuyX said this all started a week or so ago - prior to that everything had been fine.

I have to admit I am now looking at using ScriptSafe as an alternative. I prefer NoScript but, given the fact I don't get the issues when using ScriptSafe, I might have to switch to that.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

the first add-on I installed was NoScript
Was it the only extension you added when you tested in the new Profile?

What antivirus are you using?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
skriptimaahinen
Master Bug Buster

Post by skriptimaahinen »

Well, moving to "ScriptSafe" is not going to get the problem fixed. What we need is to find reproducible case (gmail and drivetribe work just fine for me too) or what change caused the problem. Can you test what is the last good NoScript version/rc that works for you?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0