NoScript Issues w/ YouTube and Twitter Widgets

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
TrulyHuman

NoScript Issues w/ YouTube and Twitter Widgets

Post by TrulyHuman »

I have two issues with NoScript at the moment:

YouTube: The video stalls/crashes when you try to watch a video by a user that has ads placed in its time marks. For example, any video uploaded by ESPN with NoScript on will stop the video immediately. The only way to get past this is to disable NoScript completely. This issue does not exist in videos submitted by users who have opted not to place any ads in their content. It's also random, but fairly common.

Twitter Widget: This is a tricky one. At first, the issue was only present with the RealGM Forums. If the forum thread contains a Twitter post, NoScript will struggle trying to load whatever is needed from Twitter to the point your internet hangs. One time, I was trying to load another website just to see if my internet was working, and I get a "Connection has timed out" message. I did a TRACERT and PING test to double check my connection and discovered my internet was just fine.

Disabling NoScript completely is the best method to fix this. After turning off NS in the Add-Ons section and refreshing the tab, the internet returns to normal.

Closing Firefox naturally or with Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) also fixes the problem. With the Task Manager, you need to close any firefox.exe process that has fluctuating RAM. Caution: the Task Manager method will instantly crash Firefox, forcing you to start a new session.

The URL that constantly appears in the status tooltip whenever NoScript struggles to load something from Twitter points to twimg.com, which is white-listed in my profile.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: NoScript Issues w/ YouTube and Twitter Widgets

Post by therube »

a video by a user that has ads placed in its time marks
URLs?
Twitter Widget
Sounds like (perhaps incorrectly titled), BUG: NS10 XSS Sanitization Hangs Firefox.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

TrulyHuman wrote: YouTube: The video stalls/crashes when you try to watch a video by a user that has ads placed in its time marks. For example, any video uploaded by ESPN with NoScript on will stop the video immediately. The only way to get past this is to disable NoScript completely. This issue does not exist in videos submitted by users who have opted not to place any ads in their content. It's also random, but fairly common.
If you mean, videos that while watching the video all of the sudden gets interrupted by an ad, and then continues, I seen a few videos like that lately and haven't experienced any issue.

Perhaps try a new Firefox profile and only install NoScript, no other extension, and see what you get.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
TrulyHuman

Post by TrulyHuman »

Here's the link to the exact video I was having problems with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWCc6886D0

What would happen here is the video would load, then after four seconds, the video would stop.

Tried refreshing multiple times, didn't work. Now it froze earlier.

Tried disabling NoScript. Same as previous.

It was only when I turned off AdBlock that the video started loading again. Note that this issue is very hard to pull off, you won't get it right away.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

TrulyHuman wrote:It was only when I turned off AdBlock that the video started loading again.
Then this isn't a NoScript issue. Please report it to the maintainers of the adblock filter list you're using.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-