10.1.6.2 DEFAULT?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
kukla

10.1.6.2 DEFAULT?

Post by kukla »

Probably answered somewhere already, but can't find anything. Seeing 4 different buttons to the right, which are fairly self explanatory, but how do I see what is being allowed or not in sites set as DEFAULT? Basically, out of the box what is DEFAULT supposed to mean? Haven't been staying current with all the different releases, but earlier on we used to be able to see the actual permissions set with DEFAULT. Now I have no idea what it means.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Pansa

Re: 10.1.6.2 DEFAULT?

Post by Pansa »

This is changed in the latest developer build.

But in the build you have, you can set any site to default, click on default again to open the checkmarks, and then change it back.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
kukla

Post by kukla »

Pansa wrote:This is changed in the latest developer build.

But in the build you have, you can set any site to default, click on default again to open the checkmarks, and then change it back.
My post was originally written on 57.0.3 (see screenshot.) If your reply is based on seeing my current user agent, please ignore that.

Question remains, what is DEFAULT? Nothing happens when I click on it, left or right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

kukla wrote:
Pansa wrote:This is changed in the latest developer build.

My post was originally written on 57.0.3 (see screenshot.) If your reply is based on seeing my current user agent, please ignore that.

Question remains, what is DEFAULT? Nothing happens when I click on it, left or right.
Go to the options
set any trusted or untrusted domain to default
click on default
change checkmarks
change back to trusted/ untrusted

default is the set of rules that get applied to any domain that wants to run script before you make a decision of whether trusted or untrusted or custom is what you want (or you keep it in default)

57.0.3 is your firefox version. I was talking about No script versions.
kukla

Post by kukla »

In other words, DEFAULT in 10.1.6.2 means nothing's been set or allowed for any given URL (e.g., nytimes.com)? It would be the same as the default of Custom, except with script unchecked?

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

kukla wrote:In other words, DEFAULT in 10.1.6.2 means nothing's been set or allowed for any given URL (e.g., nytimes.com)? It would be the same as the default of Custom, except with script unchecked?

By default, the Default preset comes with frame, fetch and other as allowed (boxes ticked). But you can set it up as in the Custom picture you posted. Thats how I have it, the web works just fine for me. You should check the preset to make sure you haven't changed it by mistake. In latest beta, changing the Default preset is a little easier than in the version you have. Look.

But for now, you must make changes using one of the domains in the list of domains under Options.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
kukla

Post by kukla »

Thanks Bo, sorry, but I'm still not getting this. Note: now running 10.1.6.3rc2

Please see EDIT: below

-First, does DEFAULT equate to whatever is showing in Custom for any given URL? For example, if I set nytimes.com (which first appears as DEFAULT) in Custom to nothing checked, when I revert back to DEFAULT for that domain, is DEFAULT then whatever was just set in Custom?

-I'm seeing that for any URL anywhere Custom is always showing with Script checked (only that, none of the others you mentioned.) So if DEFAULT equates to Custom for any given site, that would effectively mean that I am allowing Script/JavaScript for any given site. This is something I absolutely don't want. Is there some way to set all the DEFAULTS globally so that Script is not checked anywhere in Custom?

Bottom line, and most important, is there a way to set DEFAULT globally, and all at once, for all sites, so that nothing is allowed there, period, excepting, of course, sites already whitelisted? If not, then removing Script from Custom for each URL visited one by one would be an absolutely tedious, almost impossible process, especially if that means going to a site first with Script/JavaScript allowed, then proceed to disable that in Custom (to show the same in DEFAULT). Seems to me there should be some way, as in NS v.5, of browsing everywhere without first allowing a site. If not, and I have to go to a site with Script first enabled and then disable that only after allowing JS for that site, then this is a serious security concern.

But for now, you must make changes using one of the domains in the list of domains under Options.
Please explain in more detail. I have hundreds of sites whitelisted in Options carried over from my NS v.5. No idea what I'm supposed to do there.

EDIT: This seems to take care of DEFAULT globally. If so, then everything I've written earlier becomes moot. Unchecked Script in Options. Is this what you meant?

But not understanding "Preset customization (permissions apply globally to all the sites sharing a preset"

What sites don't share a preset? What's the preset?

Also, setting in Options for Trusted shows everything checked by default: script, media, webgl, frame, font etc., not just script. This is really not cool. Everything besides script should be opt-in not opt-out. Hope this will be changed in later release.

Post by Guest »

What sites don't share a preset?
CUSTOM is site-specific. So one can have several sites set to CUSTOM but still using different settings.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

kukla wrote:
Also, setting in Options for Trusted shows everything checked by default: script, media, webgl, frame, font etc., not just script. This is really not cool. Everything besides script should be opt-in not opt-out. Hope this will be changed in later release.
Why? That is the behaviour you WANT when setting sites to "trusted" that already IS the opt in.
Trusted MEANS you allow everything. (you can, on the other hand reduce the number of permissions, script is always enabled for that preset, though)

The default set is the one that every site you didn't make a rule yet for.

Please explain in more detail. I have hundreds of sites whitelisted in Options carried over from my NS v.5. No idea what I'm supposed to do there.
What is the problem. Those are sites you formerly have defined as "allowed to run scripts", and that's what they are now, too.
But not understanding "Preset customization (permissions apply globally to all the sites sharing a preset"

What sites don't share a preset? What's the preset?
Sites you have made a custom rule for. Because Custom are customizable site specific rules

All pages in default share ONE default rule set.
All pages in trusted share one ruleset for trusted sites.
Same for untrusted.

You can see this show in a different way in the debug output in the options.

One set of rules for the presets, and a list of pages IN those presets, and below that a bunch of individual custom rules.
kukla

Post by kukla »

kukla wrote:

Why? That is the behaviour you WANT when setting sites to "trusted" that already IS the opt in.
Trusted MEANS you allow everything.
NO, PLEASE SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. THAT IS NOT THE BEHAVIOR I WANT. With NoScript v.5, there is the choice for opt-in, not opt-out: I can trust a site without allowing frame, webgl or whatever. This way, I first have to trust then uncheck/disable. Trusted should NOT have to mean allow everything!

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote:With NoScript v.5, there is the choice for opt-in, not opt-out: I can trust a site without allowing frame, webgl or whatever. This way, I first have to trust then uncheck/disable. Trusted should NOT have to mean allow everything!
"Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too" and "Forbid WebGL" are not selected by default in NoScript Classic. How is NoScript 10's default of "everything checked for Trusted" any different from that?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

barbaz wrote:
kukla wrote:With NoScript v.5, there is the choice for opt-in, not opt-out: I can trust a site without allowing frame, webgl or whatever. This way, I first have to trust then uncheck/disable. Trusted should NOT have to mean allow everything!
"Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too" and "Forbid WebGL" are not selected by default in NoScript Classic. How is NoScript 10's default of "everything checked for Trusted" any different from that?
I was trying to say that after checking "Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too", I can make that the default for everything subsequently allowed. Although it is true that by default that option is not checked in v.5.

Also, even if Trusted can be set with all of those items unchecked, it doesn't appear to stick, for some reason. Just unchecked all of those, went somewhere else, and they were all back again checked. Has happened several times now, had to go back and uncheck them all again. Not sure why that happened. Perhaps you can explain.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote:I was trying to say that after checking "Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too", I can make that the default for everything subsequently allowed.
And in NoScript 10, you can achieve this by un-checking everything except "script" and "fetch" under the Trusted preset.
kukla wrote:Also, even if Trusted, in Options, can be set with all of those items unchecked, it doesn't appear to stick, for some reason. Just unchecked all of those, went somewhere else, and they were all back again checked. Happened several times now, had to go back and uncheck them all again. Not sure why that happened. Perhaps you can explain.
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 191#p95191
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

barbaz wrote:
kukla wrote:I was trying to say that after checking "Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too", I can make that the default for everything subsequently allowed.
And in NoScript 10, you can achieve this by un-checking everything except "script" and "fetch" under the Trusted preset.
kukla wrote:Also, even if Trusted, in Options, can be set with all of those items unchecked, it doesn't appear to stick, for some reason. Just unchecked all of those, went somewhere else, and they were all back again checked. Happened several times now, had to go back and uncheck them all again. Not sure why that happened. Perhaps you can explain.
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 191#p95191
So the fix for the unstable Trusted is to set at least one other item beside Script, like Fetch, not that setting in about:config referred to in that thread? Fetch would seem to the most harmless.
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

kukla wrote:
With NoScript v.5, there is the choice for opt-in, not opt-out: I can trust a site without allowing frame, webgl or whatever. This way, I first have to trust then uncheck/disable. Trusted should NOT have to mean allow everything!
Hi Kukla, in version 5, I used to apply all restrictions to white listed sites as well. And forbid Webgl. Now, for Trusted sites (in general, for the bulk of domains), I am being a little bit less restrictive. For Trusted, I am allowing scripts, media, frame and fetch. For domains that I need to allow but want the domain more restricted, I create a Custom rule. I started with one, now I have about 9 of them. They work pretty good.

The NoScript placeholder gives you a hint of what you need to allow when you create a Custom rule. Also, looking inside Custom, the shaded box tells you also whats required. In version 5, I used to tick the option not to show the placeholder, never seemed to needed it or wanted to see it, but I am making good use of it with this version and it has become useful. Webgl, I dont need that for nothing. I have been disabling it forever, not only with NoScript but also in Firefox via about:config.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0