cannot get full site functionality

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
anon3478

cannot get full site functionality

Post by anon3478 »

hi everybody!

just like everybody else, I've been quite disappointed with the abrupt transition of the extension with Quantum, but I do understand that it was necessary.
so first of all, I'd like to strongly thank you for taking the time to keep alive this wonderful project, and I'm sure everything will be smoothed out, eventually.

unfortunately, though, I've encountered lots of websites where I could not get a full functionality.
with the legacy noscript, I've always been used to multiple "temporarily allow all this page" clicks as a quick and dirty way to regain functionality when my rough tuning of the specific scripts was not working.
now, though, I've encountered webpages where there was literally nothing else to be trusted, yet functionality was broken.

has anyone else encountered this?
what's the best way to deal with this?

in such cases I usually rely on a different, unrestricted browser.

cheers!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Re: cannot get full site functionality

Post by barbaz »

As a test, does disabling NoScript (Tools > Add-ons Manager > NoScript > Disable) get these sites working?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

anon3478 wrote:hi everybody!
With the legacy noscript, I've always been used to multiple "temporarily allow all this page" clicks as a quick and dirty way to regain functionality when my rough tuning of the specific scripts was not working.
Now, though, I've encountered webpages where there was literally nothing else to be trusted, yet functionality was broken.

has anyone else encountered this?
what's the best way to deal with this?
in such cases I usually rely on a different, unrestricted browser.
Yes, I have encountered this.

And I deal with it by either disabling NoScript or by using IE (which does not have NoScript).
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3208
* Firefox 115.0.2 Thunderbird 112.13.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
anon3478

Post by anon3478 »

barbaz wrote:As a test, does disabling NoScript (Tools > Add-ons Manager > NoScript > Disable) get these sites working?
I will try to gather some more stats and hopefully come up with a single specific website that clearly shows noscript issues. stay tuned!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
LeuKo

Post by LeuKo »

Hi,

With some other sites I'm still having the same problems and also switch to other browsers.

I did find a simple fix of NoScript > options > reset when I was having similar with Google Image Search, both in regular and private browsing mode (Mac with Firefox 57.0.3).

The problem was that the thumbnails would load, but the only way to get a larger view, or to follow a link is by opening a link in a new tab. Temporarily allowing the whole page in NoScript did nothing. All the google scripts were set to 'green'.

I think all the manual changes I made after the big changes in NoScript for FF Quantum were interfering in a way that didn't happen with the old interface (which I found much more intuitive).
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3306.0 Safari/537.36
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

LeuKo wrote:Hi,

With some other sites I'm still having the same problems and also switch to other browsers.

I did find a simple fix of NoScript > options > reset when I was having similar with Google Image Search, both in regular and private browsing mode (Mac with Firefox 57.0.3).

The problem was that the thumbnails would load, but the only way to get a larger view, or to follow a link is by opening a link in a new tab. Temporarily allowing the whole page in NoScript did nothing. All the google scripts were set to 'green'.

I think all the manual changes I made after the big changes in NoScript for FF Quantum were interfering in a way that didn't happen with the old interface (which I found much more intuitive).
Well in those cases the first thing to check is whether the settings of the groups is still as they are supposed to be.
I haven't had issues with pages that I actually fully trusted to not work as intended.

If you look in the debug output in the options, all the things you set checkmarks for are listed there.
In the latest version the settings are way more hidden (because people were afraid of clicking on them by accident), so it's a lot less intuitive and communicative than it was in the earlier 10.x versions.
But especially Google image search really just needs google.com to be trusted with all permissions, (and maybe google.whateverregionyouarefrom)

I think people are confusing intuitive with "what I was used to".

The only really unintuitive setting now in the latest version is how to find the settings for the "default" preset.

If the domains are trusted, and they still don't do what you think they should, looking what "trusted" is configured to allow is the next step.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0