New NoScript Confusion

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Soda

New NoScript Confusion

Post by Soda »

Ever since updating to Firefox Quantum & NoScript 10.1.5.1 I've found it increasingly dificult to use the plugin at all. The right click context menu where all currently Allowed, Blocked & Temp Allowed Scripts is gone. Now replaced with a button I must have on my taskbar somewhere in order to know anything about what's going on. Even then though, several days later I'm still having trouble understanding what everything means. There's a Default option with red cross, so I'm guessing it means the default will always be to block a site. Next there's Trusted but it seems whenever I think I'm trying to trust a script permanently it just applies as temp instead. Then of course there is the tiny clock icon which I can check off, I'm just confused as to why it almost always auto selects this no matter where I click when I'm trying to allow permanently. Untrusted which I'm guessing will always block scripts no matter what & then Custom which looks way too complicated for me to understand. I do understand that this new layout was meant to be simpler but the lack of all the advanced options & the way everything was spelt out, long hand in the previous versions was still easier for me to grasp.

1: Can someone please confirm what I think I know & if not, clarify & walk me through how to perm allow or temp allow blocked scripts now & how to distinguish what options are currently applied to what scripts?

2: Will the right click context menu in Firefox for NoScript ever be returning? I really hate that I must have that button somewhere in order to know anything.

3: What does the red unlock or green locked icons mean? When I hover over them the message doesn't change between the two.
Ryzen 5 1500X 3.8GHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | MasterCase Pro 3
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Re: New NoScript Confusion

Post by barbaz »

*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Soda

Post by Soda »

Thank you!
Ryzen 5 1500X 3.8GHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | MasterCase Pro 3
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
anonymoustoo

Post by anonymoustoo »

I'm having a rough time with the new interface granularity.

With previous versions, I had more-or-less total control. I could visit a website and if I wanted to make a comment, I would temp enable discus and discuscdn and make a comment, then I would withdraw permissions. If I wanted to watch a video, I world enable a player and the content source, then withdraw permissions. Frequently, I would simply pass on some content because of the sheer volume of scripts. The top-level listings in this new interface prevent me from the max protection I previously enjoyed. Because of that, I now have two versions of Firefox of firefox on my machine and I still use the older version if I want to interact with websites.

I almost never allow-all-scripts on a website -- ie, I have facebook, twittter and google.com on a permanent blacklist (Although I had to enable google.com for the capcha on this response). I must confess distress at seeing so many websites using google.com or googleapis -- especially as new revelations come to light (ie, recently we heard about android tracking in spite of being disabled). Just my .02.

I love NoScript with a passion. I'll keep working on this new interface but I wish I had the option to revert to the older interface.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

anonymoustoo wrote:I'm having a rough time with the new interface granularity.

With previous versions, I had more-or-less total control. I could visit a website and if I wanted to make a comment, I would temp enable discus and discuscdn and make a comment, then I would withdraw permissions. If I wanted to watch a video, I world enable a player and the content source, then withdraw permissions. Frequently, I would simply pass on some content because of the sheer volume of scripts. The top-level listings in this new interface prevent me from the max protection I previously enjoyed. Because of that, I now have two versions of Firefox of firefox on my machine and I still use the older version if I want to interact with websites.

I almost never allow-all-scripts on a website -- ie, I have facebook, twittter and google.com on a permanent blacklist (Although I had to enable google.com for the capcha on this response). I must confess distress at seeing so many websites using google.com or googleapis -- especially as new revelations come to light (ie, recently we heard about android tracking in spite of being disabled). Just my .02.

I love NoScript with a passion. I'll keep working on this new interface but I wish I had the option to revert to the older interface.
You can choose whether you want toplevel rules or specific url rules.
specific rules start with http(s): in the list
toplevel start with ...

so if you want to allow the part that has the script but not EVERYTHING that is below *.google.com
You create the https://google.com rule instead of ...google.com one.
the capture is sadly not at capture.google.com but in a folder of the toplevel domain. Even the old Noscript couldn't make that distinction.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

Post by Guest »

Oh, help! I thought I was getting the hang of it, and then you upgraded to 10.1.5.3. I make a temporary permission and tell the page to reload. After it has been doing so for a long time, I check the NoScript menu and it says in order to operate on this page it must reload, OK or cancel? So I click OK and it starts reloading and after it has been doing so for a long time, I check.... Functionally, for me, this is an infinite loop, and I never get to the content I wanted. What has happened and what can I do?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
pijulius

Post by pijulius »

Hi Guys, indeed, I agree with this topic all together, also very grateful for this addon and that it got ported to firefox 57 that quickly but the Context Menu would be sooooo much welcomed, it would solve soooo much of the misunderstandings not to mention speed up making the right choice.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
justAZlostAnon

Post by justAZlostAnon »

I'm also having issues with this new upgraded version. I've enjoyed and currently miss the right click box option of NoScript. Where no matter the web page, the screen size,etc. I could always see the menu box with options once I right clicked.I no longer have that. I don't use a full screen for web pages and the new NoScript doesn't let me see the new icon up top unless I'm in full screen mode. Which waste time and I no longer understand what I'm looking at and why. Depending on the site I'm seeing the site name 3 or more times.....which one should I allow? For a none tech person this is to much. Please bring back the right click menu box option so I can turn on the ones I want and leave the others alone (which means not allow)....minus the repeated sites.
FYI I'm using the Firefox browser with NoScript ver 10.1.6.3
any and all help will be appreciated. Sorry for rambling and if this doesn't post correctly...its my 1st time posting. thx
Last edited by barbaz on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove unnecessary formatting of entire post
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

justAZlostAnon wrote: I don't use a full screen for web pages and the new NoScript doesn't let me see the new icon up top unless I'm in full screen mode.
You should be able to move the NoScript icon to somewhere it won't do that. Try right-click > Customize
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-