[RESOLVED] NoScript doesn't block Twitch videos

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
infria

[RESOLVED] NoScript doesn't block Twitch videos

Post by infria »

I have all "Media" disabled in NoScript Quantum. Yet somehow, videos on Twitch are still loading. Anyone know why this happens and how to fix the problem? Previous versions of NoScript were able to block Twitch videos.
Last edited by infria on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Pansa

Re: NoScript doesn't block Twitch videos

Post by Pansa »

infria wrote:I have all "Media" disabled in NoScript Quantum. Yet somehow, videos on Twitch are still loading. Anyone know why this happens and how to fix the problem? Previous versions of NoScript were able to block Twitch videos.
Can you clarify what you exactly mean with media blocked?
If you have everything trusted on twitch (including the loaded script sources) and just the "media" checkmark removed for the preset, i'd assume that for the purpose of that checkmark the way Twitch does their stream is not what noscript considers media.

I think media refers to mediaFILES specifically. Meaning mp4 and flv files that get played by whatever player you use for displaying them.
If you want to block twitch from playing the stream not trusting ...ttvnw.net does the trick.
If you allow ...twitch.tv and ...twitchcdn.net, you still get the player and the chat but a network error for the stream.
The script for the player seems to be at player.twitch.net.

But I don't really see what you are trying to achieve here.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Twitch videos are MSE based, so they would be controlled by the Fetch permission.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
infria

Post by infria »

Pansa wrote:But I don't really see what you are trying to achieve here.
I'm trying to block all videos. Everything. I have "Media" unchecked, even for trusted sites.
barbaz wrote:Twitch videos are MSE based, so they would be controlled by the Fetch permission.
Sorry, I don't understand what that means. Could you explain it to a non-technical person like myself? :lol: How did the old NoScript block Twitch videos, but not NoScript Quantum?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

infria wrote:Sorry, I don't understand what that means. Could you explain it to a non-technical person like myself?
Flipping the light switch isn't going to turn your oven off. You have to use the oven control panel.

Likewise, flipping the "media" permission isn't going to affect "fetch".

I'm not sure how to explain it more than that without getting into technical stuff, sorry.
infria wrote:How did the old NoScript block Twitch videos, but not NoScript Quantum?
The old NoScript had some special handling of MSE / mediasource: stuff. I don't know the details.
-
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

infria wrote:
Pansa wrote:But I don't really see what you are trying to achieve here.
I'm trying to block all videos. Everything. I have "Media" unchecked, even for trusted sites.
I mean in the sense of "what is your intended behaviour over just keeping sources that ARE the player/stream or whatever in default".

I can see why you would rather have ...twitch.net allowed rather than having 5 rules for https://twitch.net and all the other xyz.twitch.net but NOT player.twitch.net
But just not trusting ...ttvnw.net blocks the stream. You basically seem to just need three domain wide permissions in trusted to make "Everything you need to watch and chat" run anyway.

Or do you just trust everything on a trusted page, including scripts that do things that don't do anything FOR you, and it's just the mediafile that annoys you.

Can confirm barbaz statement though. If I make a custom rule trusting ...ttvnw.net with everything but "fetch" it creates the same network error as if it stays on untrusted.
[/quote]
infria

Post by infria »

barbaz wrote:Flipping the light switch isn't going to turn your oven off. You have to use the oven control panel.

Likewise, flipping the "media" permission isn't going to affect "fetch".

I'm not sure how to explain it more than that without getting into technical stuff, sorry.
Oh I see, so I have to uncheck the "Fetch" box. To be honest, I didn't even notice that option before. I thought "Media" covered all videos.

Does Fetch only deal with video, or does it control other things as well? The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to adversely affect the way other websites work if they require the use of Fetch. I only care about blocking Media. That's why I asked about how the old NoScript dealt with this, because the old NoScript worked well in that it blocked Media but didn't block other things unnecessarily.
Pansa wrote:Or do you just trust everything on a trusted page, including scripts that do things that don't do anything FOR you, and it's just the mediafile that annoys you.
Yes, that's right, it's just the mediafile itself that I want to block. The other parts of the website are fine.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

infria wrote:Does Fetch only deal with video, or does it control other things as well?
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 111#p92111
infria wrote:
Pansa wrote:Or do you just trust everything on a trusted page, including scripts that do things that don't do anything FOR you, and it's just the mediafile that annoys you.
Yes, that's right,
NoScript is a security tool, not an annoyance removal tool. I suggest using uBlock Origin for this purpose.
-
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

infria wrote:
Yes, that's right, it's just the mediafile itself that I want to block. The other parts of the website are fine.
It's not a file. It's a stream :/

And I was talking more about generally usage. Do you just click everything to trusted including adnetworks and tracking stuff with the only usage of no script being to block media? Or is it more that you use it purely as "autoplay stop" and want the in page icon to click to reactivate?

And no, fetch does a lot of things, it is there to fetch all kinds of data, but in this case the streaming content. So I don't think setting the trusted preset to always exclude fetch is reasonable for just blocking the stream and similiar content on other pages.
Or do you change the "default" preset to begin with?
But I generally don't think that trusting everything that is available is the intended use of this addon.

Again, I would just let ...ttvnw.net sit in default (or even untrusted), that blocks the stream.
infria

Post by infria »

Thanks, it looks complex, but at least I know now it's more than just video files. I don't think I'll be blocking this globally.
barbaz wrote: NoScript is a security tool, not an annoyance removal tool. I suggest using uBlock Origin for this purpose.
Thanks, I will see if uBlock Origin can block all Media.
Pansa wrote:And I was talking more about generally usage. Do you just click everything to trusted including adnetworks and tracking stuff with the only usage of no script being to block media? Or is it more that you use it purely as "autoplay stop" and want the in page icon to click to reactivate?
Yes, that's right, I use NoScript as a blacklist rather than a whitelist. I do trust everything at first, and then selectively untrust things that are intrusive. I realize that most people probably use NoScript as a whitelist, and so did I when I first started using it years ago, but that became too disruptive to my daily browsing because too many websites don't work properly.

In the case of Media, these are things that I want blocked at all times. It's not enough if they don't autoplay but still load successfully. I want to stop the loading process in the first place. NoScript's ability to block Media globally is what led me to stick with it rather than to use a different add-on that uses blacklisting.

I'm glad you mentioned the Media icon. In the old NoScript, if there was a mediafile that I wanted to play, I would click the player's play button and an icon would appear on or next to the player. I would then click that icon to load the file. NoScript Quantum seems to have done away with that icon. Or do you know of a setting that could make it appear again?
Pansa wrote:Or do you change the "default" preset to begin with?
The only thing I changed under "Default" is to uncheck the "Media" box.
Pansa wrote:Again, I would just let ...ttvnw.net sit in default (or even untrusted), that blocks the stream.
Thanks, this seems to be the way to do it then.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

infria wrote:
Pansa wrote:Or do you change the "default" preset to begin with?
The only thing I changed under "Default" is to uncheck the "Media" box.
The actual default-setting of "default" is "nothing allowed".

That is why I was asking. You said "trusted" and it seemed weird that someone would just set all the domains to trusted one by one.

The default use of this tool is to trust very very little, and either have default allow only things like fetch and frame, or outright nothing.

You then systematically set those script sources to "trusted" (often only temporary) that you need on any given page to make the things you want to run work.
And to exclude all the little nasty things like tracking and advertisement videos and the like. (this is what I meant above when describing twitch. It loads all kinds of scripts that "do things" that are doing nothing or very little for YOU, and so do most other sites. On any given news site their are 80 or 90 scripts running, and to read it, you may need 5. The rest are just eating your resources for whatever reason, worst case against your interest.

Or, if you do allow limited things in default, put things you don't want to run at all into "untrusted". You basically bought a Ferrari to store your shoes in :D
infria

Post by infria »

Yes, I see now how my unusual way of using NoScript and my unclear explanation led to confusion. Thanks for the help, I'm always eager to learn new things, even if they are complicated at first.