Cannot open sites with versions 10.1.3r2 and 3r3

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
byg

Cannot open sites with versions 10.1.3r2 and 3r3

Post by byg »

With versions 10.1.3r2 and 3r3 I cannot open some sites.
Notably: https://go.guidants.com/ which I almost use daily but I have seen it also on other sites. I have to disable the extension or globally allow to make it work. Temporarily allow all does not work.
This is new (for this site) since at least these versions. I used the site last week.

Another effect (but I don't remember the site) was something a bit different. I opened a site with only one script for the main site. I allowed this site and reloaded but the site was still default-untrusted and I could not get it to trust the sites script. maybe it actually doesn't have a script- i didn't check as it was an unimportant site but now the problem got worse on some important sites with the above error.

Side note: Opening the settings page of noscript now also makes firefox hang for about a minute before I can start working with it again but maybe thats a problem of a different kind as I also updated to linux mint 18.3 yesterday.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
byg

Re: Cannot open sites with versions 10.1.3r2 and 3r3

Post by byg »

Actually browsing a bit more today shows that the problem is larger than I thought.
For example the site:

http://www.cypress.com/search/psg/11402 ... ptape_reel

Does not load the selector guide. Only disabling/allow globally fixes the problem.
With another problem showing now that opening the preferences tab of noscript firefox sometimes makes firefox unusable: switching tabs not working. sites not showing at all. I have to restart firefox to get back in a working mode.

I can reproduce the bug "sites not showing" on my windows 10 machine. But I cannot reproduce the settings page problems on the windows machine. So I would favor that it might be a linux problem with the settings. But I definitely have a problem viewing sites. That does not work anymore correctly.
magillo

Post by magillo »

Same here with Firefox 57.0 on Ubuntu/mint and latest NoScript 10.1.3c3
Things are getting worse, now:
- I cannot open gmail (hangs after login, while showing progress bar)
- Left-clicking links on google search results does nothing, I have to right-click and choose "open in new tab" to force page loading
- Many "overlay" ajax windows not working on several websites (screen is greyed out and overlay dialog should popup, but it does not. Working fine if I disable noscript).
- Opening noscript preferences hangs some seconds, then mess up or even crash firefox. All tabs shows black or corrupted pages, quitting and opening firefox again fix things... until I open noscript prefs again. This is painful, since global allow/disable noscript is in preferences menu only (I really miss old menu with all commands in text, hating those silly icons).

I tried removing and installing again noscript extension, nothing changed.
I tried allowing explicitely google/gmail cookies, as someone suggested for similar gmail problems, no luck.

By globally disabling noscript, everything starts working fine, every issues reported above disappear.
I can try refreshing firefox profile data, but not having an import/export option for whitelist in noscript current version scares me... I don't want to lose my whitelist.
I saw that by clicking "debug" checkbox in prefs a textarea appears and shows a long JSON with all my trusted websites. I made a local copy of this list, hoping I can paste it again to workaround missing import/export option, but I don't know if this will work or if debug textarea is a readonly thing.
I could try adding a dummy site to it... but as I said, opening preferences is a pain and force to restart firefox every time, so I'm sadly leaving noscript disabled until next update.

I hope Giorgio will fixes issues soon, I understand firefox 57 is a breaking upgrade and a lot of extension code needs a rewrite, I use noscript daily from years and I can't sleep well without it
byg

Post by byg »

One more:
I set to "allow scripts globally" and tried to pay Visa Card with mTAN verification. The Process failed to go to the next page to enter mTAN and interrupted the complete payment.
I had to deactivate noscript completely to make it work in a second approach.
byg

Post by byg »

I got the site from the first post to work again.
I uninstalled noscript shutdown/restart firefox and reinstalled. Nothing worked anymore. Got even worse. Uninstalled again and shutdown.
restarted firefox. did some (probably superstitious stuff) like cleaned cache.
shutdown/restarted firefox again.
installed noscript extension and retried. This time the site guidants.com loaded again.
don't know why.
Couldn't retest the credit card payment (naturally as I already bought it ;-) ).
Lets see how it behaves from now on. Keep you posted.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
magillo

Post by magillo »

Quick update:
Updated NoScript to 10.1.5.7 and everything is working fine now!
Gmail works again and missing overlay windows are back (e.g. dell.com, etc.)
I see that import/export options are back too, nice.

I still have some glitches when opening NoScript option page, but no crashes anymore.
But I'm still on Firefox 57.0, maybe this issue is fixed too on new version.