FF 57 and NoScript 10.1.3c3

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
OldestNewUser

FF 57 and NoScript 10.1.3c3

Post by OldestNewUser »

Hello all,

I was as scared as almost all the people I've read about loosing NoScript, and know I am so confused. I had to deactivate NS to read my yahoo mail! yahoo.com and yimg.com are TRUSTED, but even though the wabepage is displayed, at the end of the pageload it appears a "No internet connection" message, and when I click to open an e-mail, yahoo says that "There appears to be a problem loading the email..."

There is no symbol on the NS 'S', when I click on it, only displays yahoo.com and yimg.com, but when the mouse pointer is on the 'S', you can read:
NoScript (0/37)
<script>: 0/36
<font>: 0/1

So I am confuse... Why is yahoo saying tha there is no internet connection? what else should I "trust" in order to have yahoo email working? How do I access to thrust them?

Thank you in advance!

In shock & desperated.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Just_Golem

Re: FF 57 and NoScript 10.1.3c3

Post by Just_Golem »

I tried staring a new post, but keep being told my post is Spam. :-(
Though, description from poster above "does" describe same error

"There is no symbol on the NS 'S', when I click on it, only displays yahoo.com and yimg.com, but when the mouse pointer is on the 'S', you can read:
NoScript (0/37)
<script>: 0/36
<font>: 0/1
"

This is more of an Information post for NoScript team. I not looking for an answer.

I had the new Windows (not linux) problem with latest build, where all Google products stopped working and "did" find workaround posted in the forum (Use Custom and Check all boxes). I decide to be preemptive and call my French friends "before" THEY called me, complaining, Google did not work and guided them (TeamViewer) on how to solve NoScript bug. To my surprise, french versions (Canada) of Firefox have a different bug.

NoScript 10.1.3c3 icon NEVER displays number of Blocked scripts. Always seems to say, All Scripts allowed on every page: Blue S / White background

Visit a new page (with known scripts)
Icon is Blue S and NO number
Clicking Icon say "x" number of domains are Default Untrusted, "y" and Trusted
But navigation and use of site are not impeded at all, and no error messages

So it looks more like NoScript is doing nothing, blocking nothing.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

In these cases, can you check whether the specific presets are correctly configured?
"default", "trusted" , "untrusted" should have the checkmarks set to
none , all , none

As example for "all" in "trusted see : https://hackademix.net/2017/11/28/growi ... -1013-rcs/

You can/should also look at the debug log in the options.
It should say at the beginning:
{
"DEFAULT": {
"capabilities": [],
"temp": false
},
"TRUSTED": {
"capabilities": [
"script",
"object",
"media",
"frame",
"font",
"webgl",
"fetch",
"other"
],
},
"UNTRUSTED": {
"capabilities": [],
},
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

My Default setting has frame,fetch, & other checked. It has been this way since the first release (of V10). Should Default and Untrusted indeed have all checkboxes blanked and essentially be the same?
Thanks.

BTW: 10.3.1rc3 has been working great so far. It didn't leave all checkboxes blank under Trusted which was discussed by Giorgio on a blog post. Although, I JUST installed it, so maybe that got a quick fix.
Last edited by 8-bit on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

8-bit wrote:My Default setting has frame,fetch, & other checked. It has been this way since the first release (of V10). Should Default and Untrusted indeed have all checkboxes blanked and essentially be the same?
Thanks.
Untrusted should have all checkboxes blanked. But you may not want the same for Default. See my posts in https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23894
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

barbaz wrote:Untrusted should have all checkboxes blanked. But you may not want the same for Default. See my posts in https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23894
Will do - Thanks...

BTW: 10.3.1rc3 has been working great so far. It didn't clear all checkboxes blank under Trusted which was discussed by Giorgio on a blog post. Although, I JUST installed it, so maybe that got a quick fix. Auto-refesh is back as well, and my close "X" font has been fixed as well. Many thanks to G for the rapid fire releases.
Last edited by 8-bit on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

8-bit wrote:BTW: 10.3.1rc3 has been working great so far. It didn't clear all checkboxes blank under Trusted which was discussed by Giorgio on a blog post. Although, I JUST installed it, so maybe that got a quick fix.
That is a leftover from 10.1.3c2. If you went straight from a prior version (e.g. 10.1.3rc1) to 10.1.3c3, your Trusted settings wouldn't have been erased.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

barbaz wrote:
8-bit wrote:That is a leftover from 10.1.3c2. If you went straight from a prior version (e.g. 10.1.3rc1) to 10.1.3c3, your Trusted settings wouldn't have been erased.
Auto-refesh is back as well, and my close "X" font has been fixed too. Many thanks to G for the rapid fire releases.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

8-bit wrote:My Default setting has frame,fetch, & other checked. It has been this way since the first release (of V10). Should Default and Untrusted indeed have all checkboxes blanked and essentially be the same?
Thanks.

BTW: 10.3.1rc3 has been working great so far. It didn't leave all checkboxes blank under Trusted which was discussed by Giorgio on a blog post. Although, I JUST installed it, so maybe that got a quick fix.
Should is maybe a strong wording.
It depends on what you expect/want.
I'm personally a pretty purist whitelist user, which means to me "untrusted" is basically only a reminder of "never touching that".
If I go somewhere, my default is "I distrust this fully" and then I allow things.

My rational is basically, if I find something that I WANT to distrust, what is the point of having already gone there and visited with a less restrictive ruleset by allowing anything in default?
Making entries that should be covered by default is also always "creating work" when something has to work with that list (like some users having problems with the ui because they have a large number of rules).
It's similar in firewalls. Proper databases are a lot quicker than just parsing looong textfiles, but the core rule could be expressed as "the bigger the pool to match something against, the more work it is". Or inversely "the more things that get matched against the default, the quicker". Whether that is "noticeable" or just a matter of philosophy is a matter of where you specifically fall.
Mistralok

Post by Mistralok »

My gmail is down as well. Only works with Load Basic HTML tab. When NoScript 10.1.3c3 is on. When shut down, all work fine. WTH? I have been a loyal user for some time now. These forums could use an alarm clock.
Last edited by barbaz on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Toned down content which the poster later apologised for
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

Pansa wrote:Should is maybe a strong wording.
It depends on what you expect/want.
I'm personally a pretty purist whitelist user, which means to me "untrusted" is basically only a reminder of "never touching that".
If I go somewhere, my default is "I distrust this fully" and then I allow things.

My rational is basically, if I find something that I WANT to distrust, what is the point of having already gone there and visited with a less restrictive ruleset by allowing anything in default?
Making entries that should be covered by default is also always "creating work" when something has to work with that list (like some users having problems with the ui because they have a large number of rules).
It's similar in firewalls. Proper databases are a lot quicker than just parsing looong textfiles, but the core rule could be expressed as "the bigger the pool to match something against, the more work it is". Or inversely "the more things that get matched against the default, the quicker". Whether that is "noticeable" or just a matter of philosophy is a matter of where you specifically fall.
Understood - thanks for the input.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

Mistralok wrote:My gmail is down as well. Only works with Load Basic HTML tab. When NoScript 10.1.3c3 is on. When shut down, all work fine. WTH? I have been a loyal user for some time now. These forums could use an alarm clock.
Did you check the settings like suggested above? quite a few of us are really trying to help, and are often pretty quick about it. But you are not giving us a lot to work with here.
Mistralok

Post by Mistralok »

Did you check the settings like suggested above? quite a few of us are really trying to help, and are often pretty quick about it. But you are not giving us a lot to work with here.

I apologize. We live in the mountains. The phone goes down on a regular basis. All I often have to communicate with my disabled parents is the net. While I was typing the previous poor response, I did not see your reply. Will try this. I am one of the good guys. I stopped Firefox from updating until NoScript was again available. Again, sorry to offend. A loyal user, Mistralok
Mistralok

Post by Mistralok »

Have tried all I can think of. The problem, as far as I can tell, is Gmail. All other sites that I have visited are fine. Am using Win7 if that is any matter. Thanks again, Mistralok