[RESOLVED] Temp Allow PDF Placeholder Causes Internal Error

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

[RESOLVED] Temp Allow PDF Placeholder Causes Internal Error

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Using NS 1.9.8.4 and it crashes PDF content, try it for yourself.

From the following site:
http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/busine ... skin&fax=Y

accessing the pdf document:
http://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/rel ... ll_avc.pdf

a PDF blocked placeholder comes up, so far so good since the site is not allowed.
click on the placeholder and prompts to temporary allow, I say ok to allow it.
immediately throws up an error "Internal Error Occurred" and then page goes white.

no matter how many times you refresh the page, or relaunch the link, nothing happens and just keeps showing the white page. the only solution is to restart firefox and allow the site globally to access it, why is this?

now before people start blaming the pdf plugin, the same session where this occurs, accessing pdf on a site that is previously allowed permanently loads the pdf with no problem, therefore, NOT A PLUGIN ISSUE.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
therube
Ambassador

Re: Temp Allow PDF Placeholder Causes Internal Error

Post by therube »

No problem on my end (FF352 & Acrobat Reader plugin nppdf32.dll v9.1.0.163).

If you uninstall NoScript, & manually disable JavaScript does the crash persist?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

No, with NS disabled, even without JS it works fine. I have narrowed it down specifically to NS because with a clean profile and NS only it doesn't work but with a clean profile (and regular profile with NS disabled) it works just fine. So its not a plugin issue for sure, it even works fine with other previously allowed sites in the same session.

One added note, I put the site on my permanent allow and it did the same thing but upon restarting Fx with the site still on the allow list, it worked fine, so there is definitely something screwy here.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Works for me in the following configurations:
  • Firefox 3.5.2 + Foxit Reader Plugin 1.0.0.1 (Foxit 3.0) + NS 1.9.8.4
  • Minefield/3.7a1pre (build 20090820045318) + Acrobat Reader Plugin 9.1.0.163 (AcroRead 9.3) + NS 1.9.8.4
Could you try on a clean profile with just NoScript and latest reader version?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Hey boss, as stated already, I tried with a clean profile, fx 3.5.2, ns 1.9.8.4, aar 9.1.0.163 and it works with no NS but not with NS, clean or not. However, a caveat is that if placed on permanent and restarted, it WILL work, so clearly something wrong with how it handles temporary permissions and I can't go around permanent adding things and restarting every time I encounter a PDF. That would be ridiculous. no?
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Internal Error Occurred
Is that the exact error message?
Is that from FF or Adobe?
Anything logged in Error Console?
Anything logged in (Windows) Event Viewer (or whatever it may be called in Win7)?

Does FF actually crash, i.e. quit (disappear)?
If so is there a crash report number on that?

If you revert to an earlier NoScript, perhaps pre-ABE (1.9.3.3 perhaps?) does it still occur?

What are your NoScript settings? Perhaps PM them to Giorgio.

Do you also have Adobe Acrobat Professional installed?
If so, what version?

Is Adobe Reader compatible with Win7?
Some threads talk about permissions issues (both disk directory & Registry).

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/394753

http://forums.primopdf.com/showthread.php?t=248

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=adobe+reader+plugin+"Internal+Error+Occurred"

(not trying to place blame, only posting what i've found so that it may help you & or Giorgio - cause i know the response, 'i remove NS & it works'.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090717 SeaMonkey/2.0b1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube wrote:Is that the exact error message?
Yes
Is that from FF or Adobe?
Adobe or system probably given it is a system msgbox
Anything logged in Error Console?
No
Anything logged in (Windows) Event Viewer (or whatever it may be called in Win7)?
No and its called the same thing
Does FF actually crash, i.e. quit (disappear)?
No
If so is there a crash report number on that?
Does not apply, see above.
If you revert to an earlier NoScript, perhaps pre-ABE (1.9.3.3 perhaps?) does it still occur?
Have not tried, shouldn't be necessary
What are your NoScript settings? Perhaps PM them to Giorgio.
If necessary, I will post them here, nothing secret about them
Do you also have Adobe Acrobat Professional installed?
Not also, ONLY Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended, I do not install reader separately, no need
If so, what version?
Is Adobe Reader compatible with Win7?
Yes, 7 is identical to Vista (Infrastructure POV)
Some threads talk about permissions issues (both disk directory & Registry).
Been using 7 and Acrobat for nearly a full year, suddenly its a problem now? doubtful its permissions but looked at everything you linked, nothing that matches my circumstances.

First link is on a Mac, I am on a PC. Second link is regarding third party Primo/Nitro PDF, I am using the original. Not applicable but thanks for trying, if it was something I could find on Google and I wasn't reasonably sure is a NS problem, I wouldn't post it here ;)
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

That's fine :-). Just gives Giorgio more information on hand to work with.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090717 SeaMonkey/2.0b1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube wrote:That's fine :-). Just gives Giorgio more information on hand to work with.
Yeap, that's why I went step by step through your post and answered every question instead of my initial instinct to give a general reply. :(
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I'll try tomorrow on Vista.
In the meanwhile, can you confirm the clean profile test was with a fresh NoScript isntall, i.e. default (or reset) configuration?

BTW, the message is definitely from Acrobat, I've seen in the past usually when the download was interrupted in its early stages for networking issues, not necessarily with NoScript installed, but definitely cannot reproduce now with your file.

Just another idea: could you try to disable all your plugins except Acrobat (a clean profile doesn't do it)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Oh, and could you check latest development build?
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Giorgio Maone wrote:I'll try tomorrow on Vista.
In the meanwhile, can you confirm the clean profile test was with a fresh NoScript isntall, i.e. default (or reset) configuration?

BTW, the message is definitely from Acrobat, I've seen in the past usually when the download was interrupted in its early stages for networking issues, not necessarily with NoScript installed, but definitely cannot reproduce now with your file.

Just another idea: could you try to disable all your plugins except Acrobat (a clean profile doesn't do it)?
Giorgio, even though I had tried with a clean profile before I was going to do that but then I decided by instinct to try the dev build as-is first and then go that route.
Giorgio Maone wrote:Oh, and could you check latest development build?
The latest dev build x.5 fixed the problem. Temporary allow of the placeholder show the PDF without any issues. Thank you. I guess it must have been the same issue computerfreaker reported affecting this too.
Grumpy Old Lady

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

Hmm, I thought that letting pdfs run in a browser was so last century - - and that better security practise is to disable any pdf handling plugins and open pdfs outside the browser?
/hijack.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

You're correct.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Its a personal choice and if you know how to do it right, there is nothing wrong with it or unsafe.