[Done] Regarding counter badge on NoScript icon

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
nobody in particular

[Done] Regarding counter badge on NoScript icon

Post by nobody in particular »

I really really wish there was a way to disable the counter badge on the NoScript icon - it's basically the only thing I need.

Is it possible that it can be implimented?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Re: Regarding counter badge on NoScript icon

Post by barbaz »

I believe it is already planned, but there are higher priorities first.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
nobody in particular

Post by nobody in particular »

That's good news. Would it make a difference if I explain why I feel that it's important?

NoScript (and other add-ons, as NoScript isn't the only one by a long-shot) use a red counter badge with white text which is skeumorphically associated with stop signs and other warning/danger signs - whereas the counter badge isy meant to denote information which isn't necessary for browsing unless, you specifically need to keep count of how many 3rd party scripts are loaded for each site.

Does what I'm saying make sense?

I, of course, respect that this might not change the priority of it, but it seems like a very minor change that can be very easily done, so I'm hoping my explanation can help to make it something that'll be quickly fixed so nobody has to worry about it anymore.
ViRGE

Post by ViRGE »

nobody in particular wrote:That's good news. Would it make a difference if I explain why I feel that it's important?

NoScript (and other add-ons, as NoScript isn't the only one by a long-shot) use a red counter badge with white text which is skeumorphically associated with stop signs and other warning/danger signs - whereas the counter badge isy meant to denote information which isn't necessary for browsing unless, you specifically need to keep count of how many 3rd party scripts are loaded for each site.

Does what I'm saying make sense?

I, of course, respect that this might not change the priority of it, but it seems like a very minor change that can be very easily done, so I'm hoping my explanation can help to make it something that'll be quickly fixed so nobody has to worry about it anymore.
Dittoing the above. The red badge keeps making me think there's an error of some kind. It's just a minor quality-of-life kind of matter, but an easily fixed matter none the less. :)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please check latest development build, thanks.

v 10.1.6.6rc1
=============================================================
+ Tabbed options sections
+ Appearance option to turn off script count badge
+ Appearance option to hide context menu item

x Fixed legacy import bug creating too permissive DEFAULT
presets (thanks Grumpy Old Lady for reporting)
x Fixed 10.1.6.2 regression: enabling object placeholders
affected DEFAULT permissions (thanks Pansa for reporting)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
Quest

Re: [Done] Regarding counter badge on NoScript icon

Post by Quest »

I installed this new version on another computer, but did not see any option like this.
Maybe it's there somewhere, but I wasn't very interested because I don't mind at all that the badge is like it was.

But one thing I've longed since the permissions moved to Options: On the pulldown menu I can't see what is blocked on a particular site other than clicking Custom but then that site is categorised Custom and I have to click the original status if I happen to remember. This of course? needs another buttom or like that changes not the status of the site but only shows what is blocked. Or is there another way or is anyone else interested.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
barbaz

Re: [Done] Regarding counter badge on NoScript icon

Post by barbaz »

Quest wrote:I installed this new version on another computer, but did not see any option like this.
Maybe it's there somewhere,
It's surprisingly hard to notice it if you don't know where it is. Look at the far right of the Appearance tab.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-