Sudden, Massive Ram Consumption in NoScript v10.1.2

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
WCCC

Sudden, Massive Ram Consumption in NoScript v10.1.2

Post by WCCC »

Howdy. Been a NoScript user for many years, but somehow never been to these forums until now. Hope I have my forum etiquette down.

NOTE: This is actually my second time writing this post, but my first time posting it before my firefox implodes on me again. More on that below.

Anyways, I've updated to NoScript v10.1.2 for Firefox 57. I went most of a week before getting my hands on the version for 57, but in that time was still running 57. In that span, I'd never had the issue I'm discussing here.

The issue itself, to get to the chase, is that Firefox will (as the post title implies) randomly consume an extreme amount of RAM out of seemingly nowhere, but I have nailed it down to certain pattern. We're talking a jump from 200 MB of RAM usage straight to 5300. Seeing how I have 6GB of RAM on hand for my PC, that is quite forseeably literally every single ounce I have on hand. Woah.

First two times I invoked this, I was browsing multiple tabs at a time (sometimes a questionable amount, to be perfectly fair) over at KnowYourMeme.com. I was pretty sure that the newest version just ran a little topheavy, and I was certainly pushing my luck, so since then I've limited it to 1-2 tabs at a time on the site... And I've still frozen twice today. The first time, I had exactly 2 tabs, navigating cautiously and letting things load first... The second, I was checking what permissions I had allowed on the page for the first take of this post, and when I switched back to the tab for the post itself, disaster struck again.

Steps that may help repeat this phenomenon:
-Go to KnowYourMeme.com
-Allow only Google, GoogleAnalytics, KnowYourMeme, KYM-CDN, NewRelic, and NRData. (I can confirm that is exactly what was enabled, and everything else on the page was disabled.)
-Click on an article or two, maybe something from trending, and switch between a tab maybe. (It seems that tabbing away from certain pages may be part of the cause, but it's not clear just yet.)
-If steps 1-3 haven't invoked a freeze just yet, rinse and repeat. (I'd like to think I'm not the only person capable of succumbing to this random "critical hit".)

If proof is needed, I have freezes 3 and 4 screencapped, one of which includes a picture of task manager at almost exactly 5342.89 MB of RAM consumption dedicated to "firefox". I doubt it's of much use, but figured I'd mention anyways.

Hoping to work towards a solution on this. Either way, thanks for your time.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Sudden, Massive Ram Consumption in NoScript v10.1.2

Post by Thrawn »

Can you verify that this issue stops occurring if you disable NoScript?
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/62.0.3202.94 Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36
FranL

Post by FranL »

I've seen the same thing using NoScript 10.1.5.5 and FF 57.0.1 on Windows 10. It happens when visiting an internal corporate Atlassian JIRA page, so unfortunately there is no public URL I can provide. Memory usage skyrockets to over 2 or 3 GB of virtual memory and FF slows to a crawl until I close the tab. If I check Scripts Globally Allowed, the page loads quickly and without any issue.

If it would help to dump FF memory reports from about:memory, I can probably do that before FF freezes hard.
FranL

Post by FranL »

FranL wrote:I've seen the same thing using NoScript 10.1.5.5 and FF 57.0.1 on Windows 10.
I'm happy to report that this problem is gone in NoScript 10.1.5.7 with FF 57.0.2 on Windows 10. Thanks, Giorgio!