NoScript v10.1.1. doesn't block scripts in pop-ups & ads

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
HEvans

NoScript v10.1.1. doesn't block scripts in pop-ups & ads

Post by HEvans »

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, my apologies.

So, as the title implies, I noticed NS doesn't seem to block scripts in pop-ups. Before FF 57, NS would block any scripts in pop-ups.
I also noticed ads are somehow still displayed.
I did check my permissions list and made sure unwanted URLs are set to "Default", which I presume means is blocked?

I did, however, notice that if I mark those unwanted URLs as "Untrusted" the 2 issues above are resolved. Is this by design, or just an oversight?

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Icebice

Re: NoScript v10.1.1. doesn't block scripts in pop-ups & ads

Post by Icebice »

I noticed that too, it seems like the default "Untrusted" still allows a lot of stuff. Personally I unchecked everything in the default position (click something that is default twice to make the check list appear) and uncheck everything.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
HEvans

Post by HEvans »

I just realised that NS doesn't work in Private Browsing mode! :(
HEvans

Post by HEvans »

Now, NS can work in Private Browsing mode, but, it just cannot seem to remember URLs that are marked as Trusted or Untrusted.
This only applies to URLs marked AFTER the update 10.1.2.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

HEvans wrote:Now, NS can work in Private Browsing mode, but, it just cannot seem to remember URLs that are marked as Trusted or Untrusted.
This only applies to URLs marked AFTER the update 10.1.2.
Before the update the NS button didn't work at all in Private mode, but the rules you set in normal mode did (afaik).

And I just checked:
NS works in privacy mode exactly as in normal mode, including creating rules for previously unvisited pages, and those rules carry over after closing the window.

When changes don't stick, in normal as in privacy mode the problem is most likely
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 098#p92098
HEvans

Post by HEvans »

So, yesterday and up to a few hours ago, everything was working fine. Sites I frequent were working, Youtube videos were playing.
All of a sudden after restarting my browser, Youtube videos won't load and some site functionality don't work.
I tried on Chrome and even disabled NS to see if it made a difference, and it unfortunately did.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

HEvans wrote:So, yesterday and up to a few hours ago, everything was working fine. Sites I frequent were working, Youtube videos were playing.
All of a sudden after restarting my browser, Youtube videos won't load and some site functionality don't work.
I tried on Chrome and even disabled NS to see if it made a difference, and it unfortunately did.
Are you (or were you) using NoScript 10.1.3rc2? If yes, see https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23902
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
HEvans

Post by HEvans »

barbaz wrote:
HEvans wrote:So, yesterday and up to a few hours ago, everything was working fine. Sites I frequent were working, Youtube videos were playing.
Are you (or were you) using NoScript 10.1.3rc2? If yes, see https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23902

Thanks Barbaz! The suggestion made by Giorgio in his blog post seems to work.
For those that are reading this, but are too lazy to read that post, the solution is to click on every trusted URL and check all the items under it.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

HEvans wrote:
barbaz wrote:

Thanks Barbaz! The suggestion made by Giorgio in his blog post seems to work.
For those that are reading this, but are too lazy to read that post, the solution is to click on every trusted URL and check all the items under it.
You don't have to check EVERY trusted URL.
It's a preset applying to all "members" of the group, you only have to check ONE for each preset (default, trusted, untrusted)