complete domain allowing missing?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Sentinel

complete domain allowing missing?

Post by Sentinel »

OK, I think I figured out how the new NS works pretty much completely. Steep learning curve but I think I got the hang of it now.
Only one thing I see missing that I really really miss badly. Before you used to be able to temporarily allow an entire domain such as *.domain.com. This seems to be missing or at least I cannot find it. Now I have to separately allow this.domain.com and that.domain.com and other.domain.com etc... This can be a real problem on a website that has a ton of separate sub domains. I really like/need to be able to just allow "all.domain.com" so that anything from domain.com is allowed.

I see that we can do this in the white-list. Took me a while to figure it out but it appears as though you can do it by typing "..." before the domain such as "...domain.com" and adding it to your white-list. But while on a web page I see no such item to do the same thing temporarily.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
JacksonFireX

Re: complete domain allowing missing?

Post by JacksonFireX »

Sentinel wrote:OK, I think I figured out how the new NS works pretty much completely. Steep learning curve but I think I got the hang of it now.
Only one thing I see missing that I really really miss badly. Before you used to be able to temporarily allow an entire domain such as *.domain.com. This seems to be missing or at least I cannot find it. Now I have to separately allow this.domain.com and that.domain.com and other.domain.com etc... This can be a real problem on a website that has a ton of separate sub domains. I really like/need to be able to just allow "all.domain.com" so that anything from domain.com is allowed.

I see that we can do this in the white-list. Took me a while to figure it out but it appears as though you can do it by typing "..." before the domain such as "...domain.com" and adding it to your white-list. But while on a web page I see no such item to do the same thing temporarily.
No solution from my end but definitely feel you on this @Sentinel - Having that temporary allow feature to 3rd party sites (outside the main url) was a powerful tool. I only have a handful of whitelisted addresses and often manually/temporarily allow what needs to be loaded and avoid all the rest that have no other effect to the sites' function.

If for example you go to a news website, you can see how many CDN listings there are. Now let's imagine that's a media playback CDN server and you just needed the main website url + *.cdn.com* to load to make the player/playback work but only for that session... having the option to just see that single method of allowing ".cdn.com" would be great. Continuing with this same example, you may notice multiple "*.britecove" and a "zencdn" that may be needed too on top of temporarily allowing the main website url. I can only imagine how much more room for error there is if you miss a url or more from seeing multiple sub/domain listings.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Yeah, so far the only workaround I see is to go into your white-list, add the full domain using the "..." technique, then remove it after you are all done. Cumbersome but it is just about the same amount of time that it takes to go one by one on each and every sub-domain a particular site has.

For example Amazon. Amazon has like 3 or 4 sub-domains that need to be allowed in order for it to work right. Simply allowing *.amazon.com would make it a lot easier. I hope we end up getting this feature back. :(
alex.forencich

Post by alex.forencich »

Yeah, this is a huge problem, totally breaks slack's dynamically generated websocket URLs. Add them, auto-refresh, get new ones. Manually adding wildcards didn't seem to work, and it's unclear why.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0