Addon bugged out and now all scripts are running

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
J

Addon bugged out and now all scripts are running

Post by J »

Ok I just got the new version installed in Firefox.

It seemed to work fine at first, blocking what it needed to.

Now all of a sudden all scripts are loading and I am seeing a ton of ads on every page.

Here is a screenshot. https://imgur.com/a/AvVlm
Note that the icon shows unblocked, but there are a ton of scripts on the page that it is not actually blocking.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
J

Re: Addon bugged out and now all scripts are running

Post by J »

Ok figured it out. Have to click DEFAULT (for any site) and then change the settings there. I unchecked everything. That setting affects the default for ALL sites.

Might've been better to bury that option on the options screen so it's not accidentally changed like I apparently did :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

Post by Guest »

I also had this :-)

I couldn't find the default settings for 'DEFAULT' after I had messed with it, so I installed noscript on another machine.

The default settings for 'DEFAULT', it seems, are

script <- do not allow
object <- do not allow
media <- allow
frame <- allow
font <- allow
webgl <- allow
fetch <- do not allow
other <- allow
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
JacksonFireX

Post by JacksonFireX »

Guest wrote:I also had this :-)

I couldn't find the default settings for 'DEFAULT' after I had messed with it, so I installed noscript on another machine.

The default settings for 'DEFAULT', it seems, are

script <- do not allow
object <- do not allow
media <- allow
frame <- allow
font <- allow
webgl <- allow
fetch <- do not allow
other <- allow
Can anyone confirm if these are supposed to be the correct DEFAULT settings above where "do not allow = unchecked" ?

While on the topic, what are the default settings that we should see on a fresh installation of NS-v10.1.1 on Firefox 57 Quantum before any other user modification for: "UNTRUSTED" + "TRUSTED" + "CUSTOM" ? I think this will help with better reporting and for members to check their own current setup to see if it differs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

NoScript 10.1.1, Firefox 57, new profile

DEFAULT: only "frame", "fetch", "other" checked

TRUSTED: all checked

UNTRUSTED: nothing checked

CUSTOM: I don't think it has a set default. Seems to pick up whatever you last clicked.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
JacksonFireX

Post by JacksonFireX »

barbaz wrote:NoScript 10.1.1, Firefox 57, new profile

CUSTOM: I don't think it has a set default. Seems to pick up whatever you last clicked.
Great @barbaz, thanks for the time in testing and sharing this! :) If anyone here has something entirely different under those conditions, please do share.

I went to noscript v10.1.1 Firefox 57 > options > whitelist and found a url to change. I switched to DEFAULT and applied those settings you mentioned, restarted and seems to be sticking. UNTRUSTED on mine had multiple items checked excluding "script" - I cleared all of those as you pointed. TRUSTED = all checked. CUSTOM = understood from your comment.

It's a bit interesting or new to me that modifying something within the Noscript > options > whitelist, globally changes every setting for that category (e.g. DEFAULT, TRUSTED, UNTRUSTED). If you're outside the options and do something to wherever your NoScript icon is to let's say, the DEFAULT category on a url, it will change everything there as well and same for CUSTOM without changing the clock toggle.

I'm not sure at what point during the upgrade from the last working NoSript for Firefox 56 to where NoScript v10.1.1 on Firefox 57 "DEFAULT" had everything checked. This could be the reason why many are commenting that things they normally wouldn't see running with NoScript before Firefox 57, are coming through (e.g. like autoplayback of video/audio on news websites that had those streaming feeds like CNN, CBS, Washington Post, New York Times for example - these were good test sites just for the heavy volume of unnecessary urls loaded and to showcase to friends how much is actually happening when you visit one of these mainstream sites and how very few you actually need to make them work).

I was considering to remove Noscript fully and start over on the running default profile, but it appears that it's deeply packaged into your profile folder's prefs.js file and a simple uninstall won't cut it. At least if needed for saved whitelist url's, one could find them in the prefs.js file with a regular text editor or NoScript > options > debug (checked) and copy the whitelist found within.
JacksonFireX

Post by JacksonFireX »

JacksonFireX wrote:
barbaz wrote:NoScript 10.1.1, Firefox 57, new profile

Great @barbaz, thanks for the time in testing and sharing this! :) If anyone here has something entirely different under those conditions, please do share.

I went to noscript v10.1.1 Firefox 57 > options > whitelist and found a url to change. I switched to DEFAULT and applied those settings you mentioned, restarted and seems to be sticking. UNTRUSTED on mine had multiple items checked excluding "script" - I cleared all of those as you pointed. TRUSTED = all checked. CUSTOM = understood from your comment.

It's a bit interesting or new to me that modifying something within the Noscript > options > whitelist, globally changes every setting for that category (e.g. DEFAULT, TRUSTED, UNTRUSTED). If you're outside the options and do something to wherever your NoScript icon is to let's say, the DEFAULT category on a url, it will change everything there as well and same for CUSTOM without changing the clock toggle.

I'm not sure at what point during the upgrade from the last working NoSript for Firefox 56 to where NoScript v10.1.1 on Firefox 57 "DEFAULT" had everything checked. This could be the reason why many are commenting that things they normally wouldn't see running with NoScript before Firefox 57, are coming through (e.g. like autoplayback of video/audio on news websites that had those streaming feeds like CNN, CBS, Washington Post, New York Times for example - these were good test sites just for the heavy volume of unnecessary urls loaded and to showcase to friends how much is actually happening when you visit one of these mainstream sites and how very few you actually need to make them work).

I was considering to remove Noscript fully and start over on the running default profile, but it appears that it's deeply packaged into your profile folder's prefs.js file and a simple uninstall won't cut it. At least if needed for saved whitelist url's, one could find them in the prefs.js file with a regular text editor or NoScript > options > debug (checked) and copy the whitelist found within.
After restarting the browser a few times, these DEFAULT settings are now all CHECKED. I really thing there's something going on with changing anything in that CUSTOM setting. Not sure if touching TRUSTED or UNTRUSTED will make changes but if you change these to any url in your whitelist, it will apply globally to every url that's associated with either.

If you change any setting (e.g. "allow script" within the DEFAULT column url listing, it will apply it to every url,

If you change the CUSTOM setting (without the touching the clock button), it will change that in DEFAULT and also will change DEFAULT settings for any tab you have open that's not related to the active Tab. I tried this by changing to "allow script" in CUSTOM for this NS-forum and had a Tab open to CNN dot com where it "allow script" in DEFAULT was unchecked. As soon as I "allow script" for NS-forum, it changed my CNN Tab (now DEFAULT for cnn dot com shows "allow script") by auto-reloading the tab. If it doesn't auto-reload, you can refresh the tab and see that if you did not have "allow script" checked in DEFAULT (not checked), it is now checked.