New noscript interface

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
DLawson

Re: New noscript interface

Post by DLawson »

imgoingdodo wrote:a long list of automatically white listed addresses I do not know or want - but can't edit/remove
This one is less than obvious. If you set the site to Default (first icon), it will be gone the next time you bring up the Settings page.

I still haven't figured out what the "Address of web site" field is for.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Toad King

Post by Toad King »

One thing I don't like about the new UI is the domain/URL in the list is too far visually from the two most important icons: Trusted and Default (Untrusted). I have to constantly scan left and right to see if a site is blocked or not and when going through sites with dozens of entries it's not easy to see at a glance what's currently trusted and what is not. I think hiding the icons that aren't currently selected until mouse over would make it easier to just scan through the list, and also make things less cluttered and intimidating for new users. Having five icons next to a URL is kinda clunky.

In good feedback I love that everything has a tooltip. My one suggestion there would be to have the "Default" entry say what the default currently is in the tooltip.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
MayBe

Post by MayBe »

barbaz wrote:
Scott39 wrote:I too am very lost so far. Does the green lock symbol mean that the domain is currently locked?
Green lock = permission is for HTTPS only, Red unlock = permission is for plain HTTP only
Isn't it more like:
Green lock = permission is for HTTPS only, Red unlock = permission is for plain HTTP AND HTTPS

At least this is what it does for me.

Apart from the Bug regarding "Custom" settings changing "Default" settings (and sometimes also "Trusted" settings it seems)(so don't use "Custom" yet), I've got used to the new interface now. Window could be a bit wider so that different options do not overlap, or just bin the text beside the icons.

I think this thing will getting better and better over time :).
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
130R

Post by 130R »

Feedback on some minor issues:

Please add "scripts globally allowed" to the drop down UI so you don't need to click through to the settings page to do this.
In the settings page can we have the option back to turn off the count of blocked scripts from showing above the icon.
Using ? as the symbol to close the popup is a bit weird.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

130R wrote:Using ? as the symbol to close the popup is ...
... a bug -
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23598
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 10&t=23594
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
smokepipe

CONFUSED WITH NEW VERSION FOR FIREFOX HELP

Post by smokepipe »

Hi i have new firefox and up to date Noscript and just what to know how it works on sites i visit.There used to be option on old version called ALLOW or temporry alow this page.Now on the new i cant see this option and i confused with it sorry on the newest version i see stuff under options and pictures of little red and green boxes like locks ? what do i do please ? as i am at lost sorry.Thank you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0

Post by Guest »

As appears to be the case with others I am completely lost in a way that is impossible to explain.

Might I be so bold, or stupid, and suggest... if possible.

1) Each Top Level Domain, TLD, and Sub Domain, SLD, within a TAB is listed... when called.

2) A single Selector Button which drops down the check boxes for each listed TLD/SLD.
a) When everything is permitted it is coloured RED.
b) When partial permissions are granted it is coloured YELLOW.
c) When nothing is permitted it is coloured GREEN.

3) Add check boxes for "all" and "none" that toggle the rest. Include a check box for "remember". Include a check box for "permanent" Include a check box for "strict https".
a) Colour of selector button follows all/none/some.
b) Remember applies across tabs in the current session.
c) Permanent places the TLD/SLD in the OPTIONS page. Will be used in new sessions.
d) Selector Button has Toggle Icons for "remember", "permanent" and "strict https". Greyed Out or Coloured as appropriate.

I may have used some wrong descriptor words in the above and it might/will need tidying up and/or further explanation. I am also almost suggesting that having 'options per tab' would be nice.

Seriously... I really want this to work but as things stand with the new interface I really have no idea as to what might actually be going on and it seems to change on a whim. That could have been the case before but it was not so apparent.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bobblebob

Post by bobblebob »

Well finally installed it after reading the forums. I dont know what the fuss is about tbh. Maybe i dont use Noscripts indepth like some of you, but it works very similar to the old one. It might not look as user friendly, but it seems easier enough to understand and works in the same way. Im sure a "temporarily allow all") will come eventually

One question i do have. To allow a script temporarily you have to move it to the Trusted tab and then click the clock? is that right? Seems a long way to go about it
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
massiveProb

Post by massiveProb »

And make all the buttons bigger, like the clock and the cog, they are too small and too similar, hard to distinguish at the sort of glance a user generally makes. Impossible to tell apart on a small screen or if your eyes are bad.

I did SOMETHING to let the noscript forum domain run, and yet somehow the computer automated alan turing test has come into visibility? But it comes from google, and I only chose to allow the noscript forum domain informaction.com? How is this happening?

Please resurrect old style interface, so many options, so much control. new interface just feels like a permanent whitelisting and blacklisting tool.

P.S. really good if we can set stuff up so only current tab will reload when permissions change, I always liked that option on old noscript, doing otherwise risks a script sneaking in from another tab and costs more bandwidth and page load time un-necessarily when a user might not want to reload other tabs at all.

My other computers will stick with noscript 5 on firefox ESR until I can figure out how to replicate old behaviour in new version.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
richbuff

Re: CONFUSED WITH NEW VERSION FOR FIREFOX HELP

Post by richbuff »

Firefox current version, and only two extensions, and one of them is NoScript :)
massiveProb

Post by massiveProb »

Oh, a quick note.

My old whitelist came across fine (I'm on ubuntu 16.04 with firefox release) when I updated FF from 56 to 57, though I think some of the default whitelist things (yahoo.com, netflix.com...) which I'd taken off my default whitelist have re-appeared. If this helps anyone with diagnosing the current state of NoScript then I hope it is useful info.
massiveProb

Post by massiveProb »

BUT all my old whitelist which has been copied across is showing with red open padlocks, the default whitelist which has been reset during the update has green closed padlocks. Does this mean my default whitelist gets erased next time I restart the browser?
Visitor

Post by Visitor »

I feel sorry for Giorgio, having put in so much effort only to be hit by all these cries of distress, but I am at least as confused as anybody--probably more than many, as I am pretty much an idiot user. In fact, I have somehow confused my search engine so much that even when I (theoretically) allow absolutely everything I get a 400 Bad Request error. I note however that in the menu under Trusted, the Script box, though checked, is now gray, which I imagine means inoperative. I have therefore tried going back to default and checking everything, but that has not solved the problem.

I would be so thankful if there were a true default--your default, something that could return to what you regard as a good starting point, so that my blunders could be undone and I could try again. Also, as a couple of others have noted, it would be less confusing if checking boxes under one icon did not affect what was checked under others.

I am sure this is a work in progress, and I am grateful, but currently lost.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
DLawson

Post by DLawson »

Visitor wrote:I note however that in the menu under Trusted, the Script box, though checked, is now gray, which I imagine means inoperative.
My interpretation of the inactive "Script" checkbox is that Trusted inherently allows scrips. That's sort of the whole reason NoScript was created in the first place.
Hansl

Post by Hansl »

Sorry, but the current state of NS's UI is absolutely unusable. I just can set permissions very cumbersomely, in a private window not at all, and I've found no way to all other preferences of NS. Since there is no answer from Giorgio on this thread yet, I take it that he is working very intensely on it and wish him good luck!

I would just like to know: Is this heavy UI change an intended redesign by Giorgio, or was it forced by Mozillas new plugin interface? That would be really shitty of Mozilla, then.