New noscript interface

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
MrWobbly

New noscript interface

Post by MrWobbly »

Having trouble getting along with the new Noscript interface (seems a bit too much form rather than the function of the old version). Is there an idiots guide to it? or a way to change it back to the old system of having a small drop down menu that is self explanitary than a large menu with unhelpful icons?)

Please do not get me wrong I like NoScript and have used it for many years and with that been saved by it too many times to mention. I will use this essential tool anyway and it has been such a bonus to me with being free. So if the developer ever sees this post....simply put ...Thanks you made a big difference with me.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
halfsies

Re: New noscript interface

Post by halfsies »

I like the new permissions interface fine, but...am I right in thinking that noscript now has no UI/functionality options whatsoever (aside from a couple of really basic things in about:config), and pops up a focus-stealing dialog every time it blocks an XSS attempt? There are plenty of sites where I let it apply the XSS filter as a matter of course and they still work fine because the blocked functionality isn't necessary, but they become borderline unusable if I have to keep clicking past this dialog every time a page loads. Am I missing something?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Is there an idiots guide to it?
That is spelled, M O Z I L L A.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 Lightning/5.4
rwood47

Post by rwood47 »

Along the same lines - how do I effect a "temporarily allow all this page" any more? Seems like the only option is permanent allows that I have to select individually on each page.
<update>
Just found this reference from Girorgio on hackdamix: "Temporary allow is still there, one click away, just toggle the clock inside the choosen preset button."
So now my question is....."where's the preset button with these clocks?" When I mouse over the Default button there's a gear that allows me to choose things that I can't evaluate, but that seems different.
</update>
Last edited by rwood47 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

rwood47 wrote:Seems like the only option is permanent allows that I have to select individually on each page.
Once you've permanently allowed a site, you can make the permission temporay by clicking the clock that shows up to the right of the current permission type.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Malorn

Post by Malorn »

I admit that I would also prefer at least the functionality of the old system, though I'm quite flexible as to it's form.
rwood47

Post by rwood47 »

OK thanks -- found it at last. It is not intuitive but I suppose an artifact forced by the new APIs. Bummer!

However, Many thanks Giorgio for what is clearly a lot of effort to port this fine service!
nonscribe

Post by nonscribe »

So the virtually impenetrable and truncated lack of detail in the new version is Mozilla pushing discoverability and sleek icons over text and menus and intelligibility?

Can't figure out a thing with this new version, have no idea what I've allowed or not, used NoScript 99% for temporary permissions to do what I needed to and then revoking them; have lost that reassuring 'revoke all temporary permissions' in the new interface. Glad to have it so I can be on zippy FF, but feel like I'm completely at sea now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Once you've permanently allowed a site, you can make the permission temporary
Run that by me again?
Are we on a default Allow now?

Or are we somewhat status quo, except that you have to Allow first, before you can set as Temporary?
That can't be, can it :scratcheshead:?

(I'm only half, 1/4, looking, paying attention.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 Lightning/5.4
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

MrWobbly wrote:Having trouble getting along with the new Noscript interface (seems a bit too much form rather than the function of the old version). Is there an idiots guide to it? or a way to change it back to the old system of having a small drop down menu that is self explanitary than a large menu with unhelpful icons?)

Please do not get me wrong I like NoScript and have used it for many years and with that been saved by it too many times to mention. I will use this essential tool anyway and it has been such a bonus to me with being free. So if the developer ever sees this post....simply put ...Thanks you made a big difference with me.
Amen. I am completely lost with understanding this new version. I have absolutely no idea how to use it.
Used to be very simple allow, temp allow, whitelist. Now where is my whitelist? What is "default"? WHat I want is for the default deny everything from everywhere, then allow everything on my whitelist and then have the ability to temp allow on a page by page basis.
This new "default" setting I don't understand. Is that allowing certain things by default? Is there a list of default sites or something?
Plabby

Post by Plabby »

I do not get the new interface. I need the old functionality. I need "Temporarily allow all this page" and everything else we had. Did Mozilla break NoScript to the point that it is no longer as functional as before?

The size of the new interface, the colors, the animations—it's all a bit much. The text is very hard to read. I don't remember struggling to read the text in previous versions.

Why is the drop-down menu so wide?

How do I quickly "Temporarily allow all this page?"

Why is the Close icon (next to Reload) broken?

I can switch browsers. Mozilla can keep on breaking extensions without me.
Last edited by Plabby on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Plabby wrote:I do not get the new interface. I need the old functionality. I need "Temporarily allow all this page" and everything else we had. Did Mozilla break NoScript to the point that it is no longer as functional as before?

I can switch browsers. Mozilla can keep on breaking extensions without me.
off-topic: Plabby, feel free to do whatever suits you best, whether that be switching browsers or using Firefox 52 ESR with classic NoScript.

If you need help getting the latter option going, please start a new thread.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Plabby

Post by Plabby »

So the familiar "Temporarily allow all this page" and the functionality it provided is just gone? And there's no way to get it back? Is that what's being presented?
DrRabbit

Post by DrRabbit »

What everyone is saying is...

THERE'S NO ONE CLICK FOR ALLOW ALL THIS PAGE!!!

I understand you can click the NoScript icon, then give whatever is listed temporary permission, but you have to click EVERYTHING listed to give the whole page temporary permissions. Then you have to refresh it, and click temporary permissions for whatever else shows up. For example, visit http://video.foxnews.com/v/565325206200 ... show-clips and see how much crap you have to click temporary permissions on just to see the video.

Don't get me wrong... I'm extremely grateful the addon is still being worked on. It's always been my first addon install when putting FF on a new system. What a majority of the people are saying though, is that we miss the ONE click for ALLOW ALL THIS PAGE. Is it possible with the new FF? If not, please let us know now so we can look for something else.
imaginaryideals

Post by imaginaryideals »

Okay. I have to say this interface is a bit unintuitive for someone switching from the previous version to this one.

The FAQ doesn't seem to have been updated yet.

I gather the clock on the 'trusted' button makes the trust temporary, but can't we just have an additional button that designates temporary permission with one click, instead of having to click trusted and then check the clock button next to trusted?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0