New noscript interface

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
imgoingdodo

Re: New noscript interface

Post by imgoingdodo »

Le Sigh... Was there an update yesterday/early today? Because I can see some changes in the drop down menu, icons fixed etc. and list of blocked URLs is longer, but damn it - NS's totally effed up. I'm having the same problem @KieranWalker was talking about now.

Media heavy sites are all fudged now and good luck trying to get a video started even though EVERYTHING is Temp Allowed or just flat out allowed. Https/http matching makes no diff.

I hadn't touched my settings before this, so it's not on the user side. It went from working just fine to being a right lemon over night. What happened and is there anything the user can do to rectify this, or do we have to deactivate and await a new update?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
imgoingdodo

Post by imgoingdodo »

Samiii wrote:I tried to change the capabilities in the debug full text config file, but it doesn't save changes and I don't see any save button...
I don't have any other choice than disabling NS :'( :'( :'(
Oh, you check the Debug box, make your changes and then uncheck it. As far as I know, that saves the changes.
imgoingdodo

Post by imgoingdodo »

imgoingdodo wrote:Le Sigh... Was there an update yesterday/early today? Because I can see some changes in the drop down menu, icons fixed etc. and list of blocked URLs is longer, but damn it - NS's totally effed up. I'm having the same problem @KieranWalker was talking about now.

Media heavy sites are all fudged now and good luck trying to get a video started even though EVERYTHING is Temp Allowed or just flat out allowed. Https/http matching makes no diff.

I hadn't touched my settings before this, so it's not on the user side. It went from working just fine to being a right lemon over night. What happened and is there anything the user can do to rectify this, or do we have to deactivate and await a new update?
Sorry for the additional post. Think the problem is that changes don't stick. With the update to v.10.1.3c2 - the Trusted settings are automatically set to ONLY allowing "scripts", when you try to change that to allow more or all the other options - your changes aren't saved. NS simply reverts back to ONLY allowing "script" in Trusted-mode and Temporarily Trusted.
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Samiii wrote:Hi guys,
I've got a new problem today (no idea if there was an update today/yesterday):
For the Trusted sites, all the checkboxes are unticked except "Script". Hence many websites are not working anymore while they were yesterday! (Google, Hotmail, etc.)
When I check these boxes (I don't know which ones by default by the way), they remain unticked when I refresh my page. The same happens in the NS options page.
Someone could help, please? What happened? Could I fix it from the "Debug" panel?
There have been 2 upgdates today. 10.1.3c2 was a regression. I tested it without installing it in my real system, in less than 5 minutes I knew it was bad. But version 10.1.3rc3 feels solid. None of the issues I encountered with 10.1.3c2 can be reproduced. I suggest you upgrade to 10.1.3c3, you ll be happy. :)

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

imgoingdodo wrote:
Sorry for the additional post. Think the problem is that changes don't stick. With the update to v.10.1.3c2 - the Trusted settings are automatically set to ONLY allowing "scripts", when you try to change that to allow more or all the other options - your changes aren't saved. NS simply reverts back to ONLY allowing "script" in Trusted-mode and Temporarily Trusted.
imgoingdodo, updating to v 10.1.3rc3 should fix the problem you describe. I tried to replicate it with this version, and couldnt do it.

Bo
imgoingdodo

Post by imgoingdodo »

bo elam wrote:
imgoingdodo wrote:
imgoingdodo, updating to v 10.1.3rc3 should fix the problem you describe. I tried to replicate it with this version, and couldnt do it.

Bo
Ah, just did. Works perfectly now - thanks Bo!
bradbulger

Post by bradbulger »

It *seems* to indicate a site is Trusted when I click into the icon, but the icon is still the "untrusted" one. It seems to be running scripts. Making changes in the little popup that appears after clicking on the icon does not change the icon. Some sites, like noscript.net, do come up with the "trusted" plain (S) icon.

Also, what does "Match HTTPS content only" mean?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Samiii wrote:Hi guys,
I've got a new problem today (no idea if there was an update today/yesterday):
For the Trusted sites, all the checkboxes are unticked except "Script". Hence many websites are not working anymore while they were yesterday! (Google, Hotmail, etc.)
When I check these boxes (I don't know which ones by default by the way), they remain unticked when I refresh my page. The same happens in the NS options page.
Someone could help, please? What happened? Could I fix it from the "Debug" panel?
Hi Samiii, you need to update to version 10.1.3c3. It fixes the problems you are experiencing, problems that were introduced in version 10.1.3c2. All should be OK afterward.
Samiii wrote:I tried to change the capabilities in the debug full text config file, but it doesn't save changes and I don't see any save button...
I don't have any other choice than disabling NS :'( :'( :'(
The first few times I tested playing with debug, I couldn't change anything. But playing around, finally figured how to do it. But anyway, you dont need to do that now, just update to the latest release.

Bo
LongLiveNS

Post by LongLiveNS »

As I'm understanding this the issue with the changes in the NS interface is due to restrictions in the new FF version, aka Mozilla coding?

That is a shame, NS was a quick to use and an essential tool but after more than a week of attempting to get along with it, I have to move on. NS is still a great product and the ability to write blocks in ABE is fantastic and I'll continue to live with it in the Tor Browser, but if I have to configure everything in a rather manual method I'm going to just harvest domains I find objectionable and send them to null on the DNS proxy on my network. Shorter term this is more work than the NS interface but long term this will be much easier.

Keeping the plugin installed so I can enable it and will check in from time to time in the hopes the difficulties of coding to FF are overcome. And as a long time NS user I would happily pay for a professional version of NS, yearly. Thank you IA team, you have provided a great product for a long time and I wish you continued success.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Timbre wrote: Thank you, but OMG what a PITA to do this.

I'm Currently not using the addon while like this.

Thank you IA
You are welcome, Timbre.

About the new profile, if you are a Firefox user, get in the habit of playing with them. I do it all the time. In the last couple of days, I created 3 or 4 new profiles just to test and fool around with NoScript and compare the behavior of the new updates while using a new profile with the behavior in my current profile. Is fun. I run automatically the Profile manager in a sandbox (under Sandboxie), so I don't even create it in my system. In 5 to 10 minutes, I can test whatever I want to test and be over with.

Bo
Samiii

Post by Samiii »

bo elam wrote:There have been 2 upgdates today. 10.1.3c2 was a regression. I tested it without installing it in my real system, in less than 5 minutes I knew it was bad. But version 10.1.3rc3 feels solid. None of the issues I encountered with 10.1.3c2 can be reproduced. I suggest you upgrade to 10.1.3c3, you ll be happy. :)

Bo
Thanks! I upgraded it, re-enabled it, ticked the checkboxes and now it works again! I feel better. I will disable the auto update of my addons now. I seems stable (still far away from the previous version but stable) so I'll keep it as is for the moment.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Probably a minor thing compared to everything else going on, but on an url shortener page (say, t . co), when you click "Temporarily allow all", you get redirected, the new page (say, twitter) gets loaded, but the NoScript menu shows an empty list of sources.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Gas

Post by Gas »

KieranWalker wrote:Not entirely sure where to post this given the forum is kind of exploding. This seems to be the most active thread.

NoScript is breaking several major sites no matter which blocking options I allow. For example: YouTube videos and thumbnails will not load at all, Google image search will not load at all, and Yahoo! Mail will mostly not load (I get maybe the top five e-mails in my inbox and nothing else). This happens no matter what--I can set both Trusted and Default to allow everything and those sites will still not work. The only thing that fixes it is turning on Allow Scripts Globally.

Blocking things besides scripts also doesn't seem to be working for Trusted sites (e.g. if I want YouTube videos to require me to click on them before they start playing).
I'm seeing that too. For the VMWare site after I log in, NoScript is showing that it's blocking 12 items but I hit the button and it shows me two and they are both trusted...
This new interface is a sh*tshow.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

Gas wrote:
KieranWalker wrote:Not entirely sure where to post this given the forum is kind of exploding. This seems to be the most active thread.

NoScript is breaking several major sites no matter which blocking options I allow. For example: YouTube videos and thumbnails will not load at all, Google image search will not load at all, and Yahoo! Mail will mostly not load (I get maybe the top five e-mails in my inbox and nothing else). This happens no matter what--I can set both Trusted and Default to allow everything and those sites will still not work. The only thing that fixes it is turning on Allow Scripts Globally.

Blocking things besides scripts also doesn't seem to be working for Trusted sites (e.g. if I want YouTube videos to require me to click on them before they start playing).
I'm seeing that too. For the VMWare site after I log in, NoScript is showing that it's blocking 12 items but I hit the button and it shows me two and they are both trusted...
This new interface is a sh*tshow.
The number is referencing the number of individual scripts.
The interface is showing the interface SOURCES

One source may run several scripts.

if trusted sources aren't running all scripts:

1. Are you running the version 10.1.3c3?

2. If you are running 10.1.3c3:

In these cases, can you check whether the specific presets are correctly configured?
"default", "trusted" , "untrusted" should have the checkmarks set to
none , all , none

As example for "all" in "trusted see : https://hackademix.net/2017/11/28/growi ... -1013-rcs/

You can/should also look at the debug log in the options.
It should say at the beginning:
{
"DEFAULT": {
"capabilities": [],
"temp": false
},
"TRUSTED": {
"capabilities": [
"script",
"object",
"media",
"frame",
"font",
"webgl",
"fetch",
"other"
],
},
"UNTRUSTED": {
"capabilities": [],
},

Also, if you have created top level domain rules (the ...webpage.com ones) check if you made a HTTPS only rule (black text, green lock, or showing as §:webpage in the debug log), but the page may be actually trying to run HTTP scripts.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

In 10.1.3, every time I click the NoScript button in the toolbar, the Firefox window gets wider by a few pixels on the right side. It's actually resizing my Firefox window. Don't do that, please.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0